Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well, I'm Back (Sort of)

3 posters

Go down

Well, I'm Back (Sort of) Empty Well, I'm Back (Sort of)

Post by pete s Thu 26 May 2016, 3:39 pm

Hi guys. I have returned from my 2 month long cross country bicycle ride. It is really hard to get back into the swing of things at home.

I had a great time co-leading the Southern Tier ride with my co-leader, Alice, from Juneau, AK. We had a strong, fun loving group of 12 riders, so 14 of us total. The trip was van supported, so everyone rode without loaded bikes. The two leaders switched off riding one day, and driving the van the next. We had many great stories, and the weather gods were not very nice to us. As an example, we were 60 miles north of Houston when they had all the flooding. We had 10 inches of rain overnight, and could not ride the next day due to all of the roads being flooded over. But these things are what make the stories to tell after the tour!

Some interesting statistics:
- Start - San Diego, CA
- Finish - St Augustine, FL
- Total miles - 3,080 miles
- Total Cumulative Climbing - 97,300 feet

So I say that I'm back (sort of), because I leave again in a little over a month to head to Alaska for a two week self-contained tour. This one is called the Golden Circle, which starts in Juneau, takes the ferry to Haines, heads to Skagway via the Yukon, and then the ferry back to Juneau. Should be about 400 or so miles total, over almost two weeks.

I have a lot of catching up on what folks are building. I will likely not be back at the bench until the end of summer!! But that is usual for me. Cheers everyone!
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Well, I'm Back (Sort of) Empty Re: Well, I'm Back (Sort of)

Post by Guest Thu 26 May 2016, 5:34 pm

Nice to hear from you again Pete. Man that bike ride sounds way cool. I have family that live in the Houston area. They said the rain and flooding was terrible at the best.

I saw your Sterling Truck in Model Cars Magazine from the show you entered in Atlanta, Georgia with it. Still looks wonderful. Congrats on that one.

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Thu 26 May 2016, 9:39 pm

Thats a fantastic achievement Pete. Well, I'm Back (Sort of) 1705482731
Would love to see some pics of Alaska on here!! Good luck and enjoy.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Thu 26 May 2016, 11:43 pm

Legs of steel! Congrats on seeing the world at a human pace. Wish you da best in travels, models can wait.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down