Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need information on Japanese "Jake" aircraft

3 posters

Go down

Need information on Japanese "Jake" aircraft Empty Need information on Japanese "Jake" aircraft

Post by JohnV Thu 12 Mar 2015, 2:43 pm

I have had this old kit for a while. It was kitted way back before all the latest
buzz about the real colors of Japanese aircraft. So it says it can be done as dark
green over gray or all light gray. I went to the Japanese aircraft site jaircraft.com
and it seems it would be all gray green for an early war aircraft or dark green over
gray green with yellow ID bands on the leading edges of the wings for a late war aircraft.
I am thinking of doing it as the aircraft that spotted the American fleet at Midway, an
aircraft off the Cruiser Tone known as Tone 4. From what I see it would be overall
gray green as it was early in 1942. Does anyone know if there are pictures or other
information on this particular plane or any history about it on line? The kit is quite old and
not much detail in the cockpit, I also know that Hasegawa molded a catapult for it and
did this kit with that catapult.Thanks---John
Need information on Japanese "Jake" aircraft Jake%201_zpsynzeqnpt
Need information on Japanese "Jake" aircraft Jake%202_zps8ztgkglq
JohnV
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Need information on Japanese "Jake" aircraft Empty Re: Need information on Japanese "Jake" aircraft

Post by Guest Thu 12 Mar 2015, 4:35 pm

1st 1:1 result on Google.

I suppose the info is reasonably correct even if it is Wikipedia
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aichi_E13A

Back to top Go down

Need information on Japanese "Jake" aircraft Empty Re: Need information on Japanese "Jake" aircraft

Post by harron68 Thu 12 Mar 2015, 8:46 pm

I googled "battle of midway, aircraft", clicked on the plane name (AICHI e 13 a 1), and found a rendering of the plane (a drawing, in color).  Here's the link: http://www.midway1942.org/planes/ijn_e13a.shtml.
   Another interesting way to go about it is to do the "google images" of whatever you seek.  Then, when one finds the relevant foto, click to go to the page it's at for more info and maybe links to other sites.  Good luck!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:15 pm

Here's another good site. You may have to register to get to posts, but it is thorough and has data on a whole section http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/questions-on-kits-decals-tools-and-pilots/ijaaf-ijnas-37480-11.htmlof floatplanes. Surprisingly filled with much considering it's only WW2planes.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Thu 12 Mar 2015, 11:03 pm

http://www.midway1942.org/specs.shtml, should get you to the site.  Otherwise, "google battle of midway aircraft" and check recon. planes list at right.  I read on different sites, that the paint of the Japanese planes both peeled quickly and faded.  Actual U.S. pilots said Japanese aircraft looked a light tan or beige color, called "dead grass," beige with a bit of green left.  A Japanese model company of one of their carriers, in 1/700 scale (hence tiny aircraft)  listed "silver" as a plane color, so almost bare metal.  The cowls were as likely as not painted a dull black to reduce glare.  Navy planes didn't need fancy camo colors, so a faded green would work, with underside in light grey-beige.  Finally, as near as I can tell, one site wrote the yellow bits on the planes weren't added until later in the war.  There seems a ton of contradictory suggestions on Japanese aircraft on model forums with no consensus. There is a site with the tail designations of Japanese aircraft from the carriers at the Battle Of Midway. http://www.de1939a1945.com/japon/003discolavjap.htm has the numbers and stripes on what appear to be bare metal or lightly colored planes. Remember, if what I read is true, these floatplanes were still old fashioned, with some fabric covered surfaces, so they had to be "doped" and painted, as well as strengthening cables running to the pontoons.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coyote Wed 06 May 2015, 4:10 am

I think I have the Hasegawa catapult version in my stash. If you are still looking for info let me know and I will post or send you something.
coyote
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down