Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cameras ??

+5
stevegt738
dublin boy
Skid
harron68
Geezerman
9 posters

Go down

Cameras ?? Empty Cameras ??

Post by Guest Wed 06 Nov 2013, 9:37 am

Hello Guys - I'm looking for an inexpensive digital camera to take close up photographs of my models.
The pics I have loaded up are from my 5.0mp Nokia camera/phone, and doesn't do them justice.
What cameras do you use, and what do you suggest I buy ?
Funds are limited, so I won't be buying a mega buck SLR , but all info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Cameras ?? Empty Re: Cameras ??

Post by Geezerman Wed 06 Nov 2013, 11:39 am

I bought a Kodak EasyShare C330 some years ago for just a shade over $100.
It was cheap and has worked flawless. It has no micro lens, but it does have a closeup setting that works from about 5 inches and outward. Gets me fairly good close ups and I can crop down the potos on my basic photoshop program. Be nice to have a micro close up, but not necessary.
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:57 pm

Megapixels aren't that important anymore, since bigger and bigger make the "last yr's" models even less expensive. Important is a camera with a MACRO setting, and I've see them for $70 (100 pounds?) and less. The Net probably has spots where affordable inexpensive cameras are reviewed too and if you can find a store that has display models that work, have a trial done at the store by setting the macro and taking a foto close up. Some cameras are pricier (Nikon Cool Pix) and are selling a brand name. Many others are made by just a few companies and are essentially the same camera. Buying on the Net can get great prices, but you should know first that that camera model is the one you want.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Nov 2013, 4:53 pm

When I needed a new camera, turns out they don't swim well, I went to Ebay and looked around. I got a Kodak with a 24X Optical zoom lens ( good for taking pictures at the drag strip) and a wonderful macro Feature for about $200.00 and that was with shipping. I have taken over 30,000 pictures with it and it still preforms wonderfully. The reason it was so cheap is it was a Factory Remanufactured Unit. Still had the One year Factory warranty, same as new. The list price was $800.00 so I feel it was a good deal. It is now over 4 years old and still just keeps doing it's job.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Wed 06 Nov 2013, 5:25 pm

Ron.... have you thought about buying used?

I use a Fuji FinePix S9500 and it does EVERYTHING I need. It will even allow the lens to be within 5mm of the subject if required. (Super Macro) 12 megapixels.

Originaly £400 but can be had used:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-S9500-9-MP-Digital-Bridge-Camera-Fujifilm-FinePix-S9500fd-/301003088384?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item46152ea200

It's a 'bridge' camera but like an SLR, you look through the lens, so no Parallax to take into consideration. However, you can't interchange lenses like an SLR.

Remember though, quality of the lens is everything.

Whatever camera you settle on, get yourself a decent mini tripod for it too. Worth their weight in gold they are.

Last edited by Skid on Wed 06 Nov 2013, 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Wed 06 Nov 2013, 5:27 pm

Cheapest thing at Tesco with Macro!
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegt738 Wed 06 Nov 2013, 7:12 pm

Ron, I use this site to read reviews on any camera that I'm interested in.
http://www.dpreview.com/
There are lots of camera review sites on the web.
Work out what you can realistically afford, and and get the best one that suits your purpose in that price range.

As has been stated, a good lens is more important than a lot of fancy (read useless) features.

Being a bike rider I buy as cheap as possible. Cameras get a hard life in a jacket pocket with rain, dust and landing on them when I decide to give my mates something to laugh about.
stevegt738
stevegt738
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Wed 06 Nov 2013, 8:16 pm

i like fuji digi cameras,.....on my third in 20 years

i got a finepix 2750 a year ago just as it was getting replaced in the range.........got it on argos's ebay shop, brand new, less than 100 quid...bargain!........does everything i ask

i used to have a superb fuji compact camera which cost me @70 quid 7 years ago, used it for all my pics for years til it died last year, took the plunge and had another bridge camera as swmbo has a compact and i can use that when i need something pocket sized when out and about

if you want value for money, dont go to a camera shop.....try argos and the supermarkets like asda, dont forget to budget for a memory card
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Wed 06 Nov 2013, 8:53 pm

I am probably not a good person to comment on this, but I will anyway. Cameras ?? 4039365958 
I have a digital SLR, a Nikon D90. But then again, I love to play around with photography both with the camera and the computer. I mostly take landscape pictures, so this camera works perfect. I do need to get a macro lens for the model shots.

I shoot in the RAW format, as it gives me full latitude to experiment in the computer with the Photoshop Lightroom 3 program. Yes, I did take some classes at the local community college on how to use both of these to their full limit. The classes were worth every penny!
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:17 am

Many thanks for all the comments.
After trawling through the internet and reading so many conflicting reviews, it's great to read some common sense information.
I’ve never been into photography - I just lived for the moment.
However, now in my latter years I find myself regretting not taking more pictures to fortify my fading memories.
With my full size car building days more or less over, and now onto a much smaller scale,
I'm looking for a camera to be a tool as much as my old torque wrench.

Previous cameras had been simple point and shoot types for family snapshots and I am really grateful for the feedback
- and going into camera shops and being baffled by a lot of waffle is not my way. Thanks again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Nov 2013, 4:27 pm

Thanks to your input, I have bought my new digital camera.
As I have always been careful with money because it was so blooming hard to come by in the first place, and I’m a photography virgin,
I went for a simple Canon SX160 - normally £165 but through an online shop it was half price (+£20 for memory card - wow, wasn’t expecting that).
It has 16 megapixels, 16x zoom and importantly: MACRO function for close ups.
I admit, I like the larger bridge cameras, and I might move onto one if I really get into photography - but for now the Canon will do for starters.
Thanks again all, and I hope to upload a few decent photos shortly rather than the slightly blurred images I have posted before.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 09 Nov 2013, 5:08 pm

That looks like and sounds like a very suitable camera Ron. Sounds like you got a bargain too. Did you remember to get a mini tripod when you were on?

Now get snappy happy and do lot's of experimenting.

I'd recommend using it in manual mode for your models.

Remember, shooting at the slowest shutter speed and the highest apperture, (Numericaly) will give you the maximum depth of field. (The amount of any given subject that is in focus. Particularly noticable in 3/4 car shots in Macro mode.)

Depending on your lighting and background color, start with 1/8th of a second with an aperture as small as your camera allows. That means the biggest F number. ie. F11 is bigger than F8.

Use the tri-pod in conjunction with the cameras timer.

Leave the model in the same place and with the same lighting and take loads of photos from the same position using various settins and you will soon get the hang of it.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:08 pm

Sounds like a great choice! Yes those pesky Memory Cards can get a bit pricy! I use an Olympus VR-320. It has 14mp, 12.5 Zoom w/ Super Wide, HD (High Definition), MACRO, an SUPER MACRO plus tons more features. Normally mine will run $200.00 to $400.00 (depending on which VR and options you want). The VR-320 isn't the lowest end nor the top of the line but I picked it up for $79.00 on closeout (At that price I bought 2 - one for my mom as well!). Its funny I have a few "concept cameras" from a couple of Camera Companies (I have an experimental test unit Nikon and Kodak at the moment) and I prefer my Olympus to these bigger fancier cameras.
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gothic Kustomz Sun 10 Nov 2013, 3:10 am

I bought, a kodac easyshare, from Big Lots, 99.99, on sale for 69.99, with duracel rechargers, 74.00 qnd change.

Gothic Kustomz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Nov 2013, 5:55 pm

I don't use any of that fancy stuff Al does. I put the camera on Automatic, push the button half way down. Then when the little square turns green I push the button the rest of the way. Might as well let the camera do it's job.

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Sun 10 Nov 2013, 9:21 pm

Zbuckster wrote:I don't use any of that fancy stuff Al does. I put the camera on Automatic, push the button half way down. Then when the little square turns green I push the button the rest of the way. Might as well let the camera do it's job.
ditto 001 
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Nov 2013, 1:38 pm

Just getting the hang of the new camera - but I see what you mean Al about a mini-tripod.
Balancing the camera on books, blocks of wood and such, isn't very professional.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum