Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer

+4
craig betts
Geezerman
Tumbler75
wisdonm
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer Empty "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer

Post by wisdonm Mon 01 Apr 2013, 12:32 am

This is a Corvair matchracer from the late '60s. Basically, too much is not enough. So I'm going to combine a Corvair and the Hurst Hairy Olds. I call this build Unsafe @ Any Speed.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer Galler10

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer Galler11

The first thing that I did was narrow the track 12 scale inches, by removing two six inch wide strips from the Olds' chassis. The Hairy Olds used Olds Toronado power-trains. In the 442 body they were a foot too wide for the Corvair. I had to narrow it in two 6 inch strips, because the engine and trans mounts are in the center of several of the eight cross-members.

Next, I shortened the wheelbase 15 inches. And finally shortened the rear floor pan another 11 inches. A tweak here and there and it fits.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer Galler12

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer Galler13

Later I had to remove another 4mm from the rear, to center the wheels in the wheel wells.

wisdonm
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer Empty Re: "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer

Post by Guest Mon 01 Apr 2013, 1:28 am

Good start. What an idea.

Back to top Go down

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer Empty Re: "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer

Post by Tumbler75 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 4:48 am

I love it! I'm tuned in. 8)
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 01 Apr 2013, 12:48 pm

Bring it on home, Don !!
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by craig betts Mon 08 Apr 2013, 12:14 am

cool build....i like how you did that chassis make over to fit the corvair 8)
craig betts
craig betts

Back to top Go down

Post by wisdonm Mon 08 Apr 2013, 12:39 am

Thanks guys. I hate to say it, but I completely forgot about this thread.

So, I finished the wheels and tires. The tires are a strange two-piece affair. They consist of a hard vinyl tire and a styrene wheel back insert that has part of the sidewall molded to it.

The tires had to be buffed in order to square them up. I then added some ancient Shabo dry rub M/H markings. Those are not hub caps, but custom front wheel drive wheels.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011710

The suspension needs to be narrowed, a lot. I started by cutting the spindles back 2" on one cradle. If I go much further, it wouldn't have enough clearance to steer the front wheels.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011711

The front cradle was narrowed 3/16". The rear cradle was narrowed 1/4" and the rear torsion bars were shortened 10mm. I think the rear frame rails were shortened another 4mm so that they would tuck inside the reattached rear grill.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer Sus10
wisdonm
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:49 am

Looking great Don. I bet this thing would be a hand full.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:56 am

Stunning! You are sure are making excellent progress. Keep'em comin'! 8)
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wisdonm Wed 10 Apr 2013, 12:57 am

No. You're not seeing double. That's double trouble in the form of two blown, alcohol burning, 500 cu in Cadillac Eldorado engines and trans-axles.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011712

The Hairy Hurst had two small fuel tanks and the frame rails held 33 quarts of water. There is no radiator. My car has an empty original engine compartment and back seat area to hold these things.

Got the chassis, suspension, and engines worked out. The ends of the zoomies are not installed yet.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011811

Pretty much have the chassis and body mods worked out. Here is the latest mockup.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011812
wisdonm
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Apr 2013, 1:28 am

Looks awesome. Great idea on this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Wed 10 Apr 2013, 11:41 am

Nice work, Don !
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wisdonm Wed 10 Apr 2013, 2:31 pm

Glad you all like it.
wisdonm
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Thu 11 Apr 2013, 12:13 am

Stunning work! Lovin' it. Keep up the great work! 8)
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wisdonm Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:29 pm

Got some paint on the body. This was a long process, since it was done with rattle cans.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011813

I used Silver Flash Krylon Glitter Blast. Then I smothered those huge flakes with seven coats of Folkart clearcoat. Both of these were bought at Michaels with 40% & 50% off coupons.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011814

This was an exercise in learning new paint techniques. So I got stupid and hauled out my $5 HF airbrush. I have owned it for at least 6 years. Until today, I only used it once, 4 years ago, because I hate cleaning it. The taping was an unexpected success. My skill with the air brush wasn't even close. That's Tamiya X-24 Clear Yellow and black. Tried doing a fade. Had no control (skill) and mucked it up pretty good.

This is the taping for the silver areas. Anything covered in blue tape will remain silver.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011815

All the silver areas, were painted with clear yellow, because I didn't have any kandy yellow.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011816

Then I had to tape out the yellow and silver, so that I could spray the black.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011817

I was in a poorly lit and cramped space with no experience, so the fade is rather poor. Removed all the tape and rattled canned four more coats of clear and it looked like this.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011818

I have one tip that I saw somewhere for the glitter. Spray it at an angle. Not straight on. This is supposed to help it lay flatter.

I have one tip for using Folkart clear. Only do two coats at a time. This stuff is solvent based and will soften and buckle lower coats. Mine had dried for three weeks and were softened when I did four coats in about an hour.

wisdonm
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:56 pm

Thanx for the tip! That paint job sure rocks! Looks great!! Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see the next update! 8)
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 5:04 pm

Different looking paint scheme. Not bad just different, but then again so is the whole car. :lol!:

Back to top Go down

Post by wisdonm Sat 13 Apr 2013, 4:36 pm

I do think that I have finished the interior. Scratch built things like 2 Sun tachs, console, fire extinguisher, parachute release lever, if you look real close, you can see the return spring beneath the blue cable, trans and throttle cables for rear engine, Moon Big Foot pedals for both gas and brakes, and a Plastic Jesus and Madonna. After all, it is unsafe at any speed.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011819

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011820

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011821

Sadly, the Plastic Jesus hit the windshield and had to be re-located to the console.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011822

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHf7TD4qwjk
wisdonm
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Apr 2013, 5:07 pm

Super interior, Don. I am enjoying this build a lot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Sat 13 Apr 2013, 5:25 pm

Great lookin' interior. Nice and comfy with "God as your Co-Pilot!" LoL 8)
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by itsonlyakit Sat 13 Apr 2013, 9:32 pm

Looking good, might still need a St. Christopher medal for backup.
Cheers Eh!
itsonlyakit
itsonlyakit

Back to top Go down

Post by wisdonm Mon 15 Apr 2013, 4:26 pm

Glad you guys liked the interior. I'd never seen anyone make a scale plastic Jesus before, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I also needed some drag chutes, so as long as I had one , I made a couple of copies. I used a simple open faced mold made by pressing the original chute into some silly putty that I got at a $ store.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011823

This time I used some resin for the parts. Worked a lot better than the super glue that I used the last time, since it dried in an hour and was easier to clean up.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011824

Detailed the drag chutes and made 16 zoomies.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011825
wisdonm
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Apr 2013, 4:31 pm

The chutes look awesome, Don. Nice work.

Back to top Go down

Post by MotoScale87 Mon 15 Apr 2013, 6:44 pm

Very very nice. Loving this man. It's a work of art
MotoScale87
MotoScale87

Back to top Go down

Post by wisdonm Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:08 pm

Installed the homemade decals and I think she's done.

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011826

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011827

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011828

unsafe - "Unsafe @ Any Speed" Corvair matchracer P1011829
wisdonm
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:36 pm

Great lookin' car! Awesome on the Chutes! Great detail too. Keep up the great work WisdonM
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum