Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro

2 posters

Go down

Shark's Realm Team Camaro Empty Shark's Realm Team Camaro

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:52 am

I want evryone to know that this thread has my name on it as the author but I am just the poster. I am archiving this build here for all those that were involved with the build in the first place. This model was assembled by Maxius but many of the members from the Realm did something on the build. It was a real E-club effort. Totally unselfish people sending bparts and paying the freight to get them there. I am not going to memntion any real names, only screen names. Actually all I am going to do is copy and paste this build from Zbuckster's Model Cars. Maxius is the orginial author and some it will be his writting style. Also I want to make sure that due credit lands in the right place. Not only for Max but for all involved.

When Shark closed Shark's Realm this model was mailed to me. I had no idea it was coming in the mail when it got to me it was in pretty bad shape. I did the best I could to restore it. Also wetsanded and polished and waxed the body. The model was mailed to me and I was ask to keep it oin my museum so that's where it sits. A great effort by a great group of people.

I will post the orginial build as maxius posted it. Then I will add the restoration that I did when the model got to be.

Back to top Go down

Shark's Realm Team Camaro Empty Re: Shark's Realm Team Camaro

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:54 am

Since this was a big part of the Realm, towards the end, and it bears the sites name we thought it only fitting to bring her here. Im going to post as much of the thread as can.

A many thanks to Carmodave, Zbuckster, Skidsolo, Promodwrench, Techman, and Wisdonm. Without them this build wouldnt exist.

Carmoddave wrote :

Confused about the title? :?

Yeah.....I would be too!

But there IS an excuse.......there IS an explanation. And it all starts with this little story..........

Once upon a time, there was a group of like-minded model car nutz.....

Ok, here's the short version:

When I posted pics of my Tub-O-Sorus with the true fire paint, I made a comment to Maximus about possibly doing a pro mod body in the future. So then Max contacted me and I said I'd be glad to "practice" on one of the resin 68 Camaro P/M bodies he had "just layin' around". Shark jumped in and mentioned that he was thinking the same way. Max supplied the HoK paint and I got to practice my blue true fire painting.

But that's not all.............

Besides Max doing the majority of the actual build, it seems that Ryan and Chris (Promodwrench) are ALSO going to contribute to the build as well.

SOOOOOOOOO........................ I decided to get this "Team Shark's Realm" thread going by posting pics of the freshly painted resin 68 Camaro Pro Mod body, supplied by Maximus. As soon as it's fully cured, it will be back on it's way to N.C. to await it's turn on the "assembly line"! I can't WAIT to see what Chris and Ryan have to add to the car. So guys, make sure to post your contributions to this TEAM SR build in this thread. I think this will be VERY cool!

Here's the body pics:

I started off with HoK black base, then laid out the basic flame shapes in with HoK white base:

Shark's Realm Team Camaro Img_5042

Shark's Realm Team Camaro Img_5043

Shark's Realm Team Camaro Img_5044

Shark's Realm Team Camaro Img_5045

Ok, now my intention was to take pics along the way, showing how each Kandy color worked in creating the "depth" of the flames.

Obviously that didn't happen. There's a lot of steps and, well, I just kind of got on a roll................

But here's the color steps, in case you're interested. I used some homemade templates I cut from sheet styrene to help define the flames:

Shark's Realm Team Camaro IMG_5040

Shark's Realm Team Camaro IMG_5041

After the basic white shapes, I applied Cobalt Blue Kandy.
Then I redefined the flames with the white.
Then followed with another application of Cobalt Blue.
Again with the white, but this time only on the "hot spots".
Oriental Blue Kandy was then sprayed, followed with Silver White Pearl at the tips and hot spots.
Majik Blue Pearl was then sprayed along the edges of each lick. You can really see this pearl effect in the outdoor photos below.
Finally, 4 coats of DuPont 2 part auto urethane was sprayed over the entire thing.

So here's the end result of about 4 1/2 hours of painting:

Shark's Realm Team Camaro IMG_5056

Shark's Realm Team Camaro IMG_5057

Shark's Realm Team Camaro IMG_5058

Shark's Realm Team Camaro IMG_5059

Shark's Realm Team Camaro IMG_5065

Shark's Realm Team Camaro IMG_5064

Shark's Realm Team Camaro Img_5062

And this is my favorite "lick" on the whole car. I just love the way it wraps around the edge of the spoiler!

Shark's Realm Team Camaro IMG_5063

Ok, this is the start of the 1st ever Shark's Realm "TEAM BUILD"! I can't wait to see what Ryan, Chris and Max have in store for this thing!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:55 am

Dave is exactly right ! This will be a team build that starts with Dave's idea. He has done his part and what an Awesome paint job he has done! :notworthy:

Chris will be adding some interior details like a scratchbuilt Tach, and switchbox, and a few other goodies if I can talk him into it. LOL!

Ryan has agreed to cast up a set of those awesome wheels he makes.

I will be building the chassis and doing the buildup.

This build is a compilaton of the Sharks Realm talent, and is dedicted to all you guys that make this site so much fun!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:56 am

Chris sent me a few pics of the scratchbuilt tach he is building for the Camaro. He is having some issues uploading pics to the site so I will post them for him. I will let him explain to ya'll how he made it. :D

Notice that it goes up to 11000 RPMs WOW!! :shock: :D

Shark's Realm Team Camaro Tach_005

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 3331969777.jpg" alt="" />

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:57 am

To give evryone an idea of what we are going to use for a power plant. It will be all chevy.
The Hemi Hunter fit the bill well.
Buck was kind enough to Donate it and Dennis at Model Express got it to me in 2 days! Thanks guys!

Shark's Realm Team Camaro HemiHunter

We are going to change out the blower and hat and use an updated Kobelco 1471 blower and Blower hat. I will also use aluminum pullies and a cogged belt.

Now I need some help. I have 2 blower hats in mind and I would like to get your opinions on which one to use.

Choice #1
Shark's Realm Team Camaro 4porthat

Choice#2
Shark's Realm Team Camaro 3porthat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:59 am

Ok a rundown on the tach. The main body of the tach was turned using a square piece of potmetal chucked into the dremel and turned down using files and cutters. The guage face is a Photo reduced piece that I had from another project. The lens is a piece of acetate that was punched out and then sanded down to size by hand. The chrome suround is another piece of square potmetal that was turned down then the center drilled out and finally polished up with 6000 -12000 grit cloths to simulate chrome/polished aluminum. The bracket was made from sheet brass first it was cut to size then drilled with a #75 drill bit,then bent to shape with smooth jaw pliers and a jewlers hammer.The main body of the tach was drilled out to accept a piece of 0000-160 (.0205) threaded rod, the threaded rod was glued into the body of the tach. Then the bracket was glued to the bottom of the tach and finally a brass hex nut made to fit the 0000-160 threaded rod was screwed down onto the bracket. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out considering it was thrown together with spare pieces and scrap that was laying around. I Hope It does this build justice. Now to figure out what to do for a switchbox LOL

Shark's Realm Team Camaro Tach_Blower_details_001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:00 am

Ok Guys time to get this project rolling. I have the body back from the the paintshop and it looks absolutely stunning. The colors are really cool but what you cant see is the the pearl sheen on part of the fire. Its very cool.

The first pics are of the body and notice the I have the chassis installed.
Dave, I hope these bring your blood pressure back to normal! :wink:

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN2791

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN2794

The next pictures are of the chassis. I have almost finished the front half of the frame. I decided to use the kit floor pan because I think it will give it a cleaner look than if I scratched it. I added top rails over the existing rails and built the upper A frames. I also stretched the front of the frame 14 scale inches to accomodate the fuel cell and overflow tanks. I will add 1/16" rod on a diagonal to the side rails for added strength. To get the correct wheel base I merely cut the very front of the lower A frames pushed them forward and reattached them to the frame. That gave me the 1/8" more wheel base I needed. I cut the tranny tunnel out and will put a flat plate over the open area. The lenco tranny will sit inside the car as they do on the real cars. I had to narrow the rear of the tubs about 1/4" on each side to fit the camaro body.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN2790

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN2788

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN2789

I still have to continue the parralel rails into the car . They will run on either side of the transmission from the fire wall to the wheel tubs. I will get more done this weekend and post some more pictures.

Stay tuned lots more to come!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:02 am

The chassis would have worked with the existing front end but it would have looked a bit dated. Most of the chassis in kit form are just reissues form the 1990s, and are the more traditional style This beast will have the most updated look I can give it, so I am building a dual rail style chassis. If you look at some of the chassis in progress at http://www.vpracecars.com/informationPage.asp?whichOne=3 you will see what Im talking about. The plan is to paint the chassis and roll cage HOK Lapis blue and use carbon fiber on the wheel tubs and floor pan. I think we may have a another member that wants to join the team and offer up some carbon fiber. :wink:

Ill go ahead and add these to this post. Ive mocked up another front section of another chassis to show the comparison to the older style and the new. You can also see that I had to trim the rear of the floor pan to move the chassis back in oreder to get the rear wheel base correct. I also shaved and curved the rear top side of the wheel tubs and the rear section or corners of the chassis pan. Now it fits like a glove!

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN2860

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN2863-1

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN2863

I hope this helps you guys see the difference between the 2 styles of chassis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:03 am

Here is a very small update. I got the engine block sanded and glued up. I will be changing the valve covers to a more modern set and I am still working on the manifold because the kobelco blower is so much longer than the Ross Gibson piece. I made the engine plates out of styrene and got them mounted to the block. That makes it way easier to tell how far back or forward the engine needs to be. I know thw pic looks rough, but I have a long way to go. LOL! I will also be using turned alluminum pullies.
I will post more as I go along.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN3268

The fuel pump that came with the Ross Gibson engine doesnt look so good. Its flat on one side so Chris will be making one for me.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN3276

Although you cant see them very well, these are the only rear wheels I have that have a beadlock on them. I drilled out the holes and will paint them black with gold beadlocks.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN3278

I will be starting on the suspension next so look for updates soon!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:04 am

Chris just sent me a couple of pics of the fuel pump that he made.
I thought i would post up one of them.. His scratchbuilding skills are spot on!!

Shark's Realm Team Camaro Max_PM_parts_005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:05 am

Time for another update! I decided that with all the detail and scratchbuilding of parts for the engine bay, I would also jazz up the suspension. I started with the kit front spindles and basicly took a page from Ryans cougar build and came up with these. I still have to clean them up a bit and paint them before I put them together for good. They are made Styrene and jewlery making head pins, sheet styrene and styrene hex rod for the nut on top of the shock mount.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN3438

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN3441-1

The rears I did the same way, although I wanted to use the shock ends I got from Al, Im saving those for a few Nascar builds in the near future.
They are made from styrene and alluminum tubing and jewlery making head pins.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN3445

You can see the difference between the kit part and the modified part in the picture below

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN3444-1

I hope to have a bit more to show tomorrow, so keep watching the S/R Team build move along!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:06 am

So much has gone into this build already and after getting some flack about the background I used in the past ....DAVE :D ..... I thought she needed a real home.

Sooo, here is the Team S/R race shop. Its computer printed graphics adhered to foamboard.

Anyway The Team S/R Camaro has a new perminant home.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN3639

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN3636

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:08 am

UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!

The parts from Al arrived on friday so I thought I would do a mockup update so you guys can start to get an idea what this beast is going to look like. Keep in mind the engine is still in mock up mode. , its just held together with craft glue. Once I get everything here and the way I want them, I will take it all apart do the final paint work and then reassemble it.

I dont know how far Al's house is from mine, but he made the parts I requested and made them to fit so well its like he was sitting at my bench!! :shock: :D His representation of the fuel cell/ blowby tanks is nothing short of amazing! I still cant beleive he made the seat out of a kit nascar seat. AWESOME!! And the batteries look fantastic as well!!

Great job AL!!

I have installed the coil;overs and front splindles, but the springs dont POP like Id like them to. I may take them off and paint the springs yellow.

Give us your opinions guys, as this is a forum project after all.!!

I also went with a polished alluminum look for the blower hat, I just think it looks cool! The valve covers are testors metalizer Brass over flat black. Im going for that gold look you see on a lot of pro mod valve covers.

I also changed back to my old camera because I think it takes better close ups. You can see the paint job much better I think.

Enjoy!!
Shark's Realm Team Camaro P5111045

Shark's Realm Team Camaro P5111044

Shark's Realm Team Camaro P5111046

Shark's Realm Team Camaro P5111047

Shark's Realm Team Camaro P5111048

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:09 am

Small update, I've started on the engine for this beast. The plumbing for these things is pretty complex, and I want to capture as much as I can. I started with the Ross Gibson Alchy motor that Buck donated, and I have to say about the only things left are the block, heads and oil pan. the blower is a kobelco from Comp resins as is the hat. The butterflies are photetched parts from MCG and painted to match the blue flames. I used BMF for the rod on the butterflies. I will be installing the mag, , fuel pump that Chris scratched, and then I will make zoomies out of solder and alluminum tubing. Stay tuned!

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN9826
the fuel bocks are scratchbuilt and I used gold seed beads for the fittings. The lines are black craft braid.
I still have to fab up the linkages so this thing will take some time.
Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN9828

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:10 am

I know this build has taken a lot longer than planned, but life kind of got in the way. Now with life back under control, Ive gotten back to the bench and have put in some hours on the Team S/R Camaro. I promise you guys I will complete this one....soon. Im waiting for a set of protech racing harnesses before i complete the interior. I didnt install the dash because it goes in after the cage, and I want to install the seat first. I am really disapointed that I wont be able to use the seat that Skidsolo made for it, its just to wide. :( I was able to use everything else. All you guys that helped out on this, Thank you all so much.I have to tell you this is my favorite build because when I show it off, I tell people where all the parts and peices came from, they just look at it in wonderment. :D

Anyway, on to the update.
the wheels are pretty much done. the rears are pegsus that i got From Promodwrench that I just detail painted. the fronts are firebird kit parts that I painted black and detailed the bolts with silver paint.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN9912

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN9910

The three speed lennco is frm TEM, I made a blanket for it. i just need to finish the air shifters and plumb it. the driveline tube is aluminum tubing covered with carbon fiber decal.
Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN9918

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN9919

The dash is scratchbuilt, The tach is the one promdwrench made and sent to me, the guages are alluminum bezels anddecal. The instrument panel is covered with carbon fiber decal from Wisdonm
Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN9916

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN9915

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:11 am

Ok, guys, I have been working my tail off on this beast. I scratched the magneto, shift lever and reverser lever. I added a scratched shift light to the tach chris made. the seat belts are from Pro Tech, they are super easy to work with. I have all the linkages made up and installed on the blower hat. I still have some wiring and small details left to do in the interior, but the chassis and engine are pretty well complete. i cant believe its almost done. it seems like it took forever.
Anyway on to the pics. Enjoy!!

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0159

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0173

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0177

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0176

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0180-1

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0179

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:13 am

Well there she is, Buck Ive probably broken every picture limt rule we have. LOL. I was just copying and pasting. : )

This build took a lot longer than planned. I had originally planned for about a 60 to 90 day build time....well its now just over a year later and she is finally finished....Well almost, I still have bit of wiring in the interior to do, but its minamal
Without going any further, I want to thank all the guys here that donated parts and or labor to this project.
CarmodDave - Awesome paintwork, this deal wouldnt even gotten off the ground without your idea.
Skidsolo - Scratchbuilt fuel cell and Battery pack
Promodwrench - Scratchbuilt tach, fuel pump, helmet, pegasus wheels, many photoetched parts and countless tech tips.
Zbuckster - Donation of the awesome Ross Gibson Hemi hunter engine kit
Wisdomn - Scale motorsports carbon fiber decal sheet
Techman - Saved my bacon with a set of Zoomies
Thanks to all you guys and your hard work and generous contributions, I just hope the end result justifies it all.

this build shows me how well guys can work together to achieve a common goal. This is by far my favorite build and it has nothing to do with the quality, just the fact that so many of you guys had such an impact on it.
I counted how many actual kit parts there are in the build and I came up with 14, everything else is either aftermarket or scratchbuilt.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0368

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0366

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0370

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0373

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0374

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0376

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0177

Shark's Realm Team Camaro DSCN0378

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:15 am

Tomorrow I will add the restoration and show what it was like after the Postal Service got done with it. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:54 am

I joined SR just as this build was completed. It is great going thru the build again.
This is an awesome model, the detail and workmanship is just stunning !
:cheers:
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:21 pm

Yesterday I got an unexpected package in the mail. When I opened it there was the Team Camaro car from Sharks Realm. You could have knocked me over with a feather. It was the last thing I every expected to get in the mail or any other way. I want to thank Max for this. I know that several members at the Realm have worked on parts for this car, or furnished parts to go on it. It will be displayed in the museum next to the Bob Paeth Flying Car.

Max wrote "Fragile" on the box and I think that was the sign to drop kick it. Even though it was very well protected with air bags and bubble wrap it didn't arrive in very good shape. I talked with max on the phone today and he wanted me to do an OTB on the restoration. That way all the members will know where the car is and what's going on with it.

I am not sure what members did what for this build so I am going to list what I know. If you get left off or the info I post is wrong please correct me here. I want this build documented and everyone to get their credit. I am going to use screen names for the list.

CarmodDave - Awesome paintwork, this deal wouldn't even gotten off the ground without your idea.
Skidsolo - Scratch built fuel cell and Battery pack
Promodwrench - Scratch built tach, fuel pump, helmet, Pegasus wheels, many photo etched parts and countless tech tips.
Zbuckster - Donation of the awesome Ross Gibson Hemi hunter engine kit
Wisdomn - Scale motorsports carbon fiber decal sheet
Techman - Saved my bacon with a set of Zoomies

I took this list from the original OTB on the car. If I left you out or the info isn't correct, PLEASE speak up.

Anyway this is what I got in the mail.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_5910

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_5911

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_5912

I thought well this isn't so bad. Then when I took the body off it looked like this.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_5913

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_5914

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_5915

I wanted to post this now so everyone would know whats going on. I am going to finish the 2 builds I have started before I get into this one.

Thanks for looking in. All comments and questions are welcome. If you were left off the list Please correct me. I want everyone to have the credit they deserve.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:32 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys. I got a little done on this over the last couple days. The clear coat had a lot of orange peel in it so I wet sanded the flat areas with 2000 grit and then polished and waxed the body. I found a couple small places I missed so I wet sanded them and will polish them out shortly.

I didn't really know where to start so I just picked up the chassis and had at it. I started by putting the front wheel and tire back on. Then moved to the rear. Before I put the rear wheel and tire back on it. I glued the rear end back into place and then made a little drive shaft out of 1/8 inch aluminum tubing. When I got that all done I found out the wheelie bars aren't even.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6510

So I broke the rear end loose again and started over. This time I got it right. I then put the wheelie bar braces back in place.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6511

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6512

Then I moved on to the windows.The windshield and both side windows had come loose in the trip. I fixed the side windows in place but the windshield came off in my hand. Then I couldn't get it to fit right. It was to small no matter which way I turned it. :o

So I used a small piece of .040 styrene rod to made a internal brace.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6514

This worked out fine. So I painted it black to blend with the body.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6513

So that is all done and fits nicely.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6515

That all done I gave the window glass 2 coats of Future and test fitted it to the chassis.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6516

With that all done I will move on to the engine. I will get it all together and back into the chassis.

Thanks for looking in. As always all questions and comments are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:42 pm

Well I have been hard at it and this is where we are at. The engine is done and has been back into the chassis 3 times. I can't seem to get it to sit so the blower hat is straight. No fear I have a couple ideas on how to do it.

Before the engine pictures. I got the car done. The tach and other little pieces that fell off are back in place.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6517

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6518

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6519

The engine. I will say that this engine rocks. Good job Max.

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6520

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6521

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6522

Shark's Realm Team Camaro 100_6523

The only change I made to the engine was a small drop of "Jet Exhaust" paint into each header tube. I just think it makes a difference. One half crazy old mans opinion.

So no Grand kids to watch for 3 days. I am thinking this will be done before Monday.

Thanks for looking in. All questions and comments are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:43 pm

Looking good Buck, The rubberband i used for the blower belt could use some paint work. LOL. The rubber gets brittle after you paint it, and it gets drop kicked a few times. The engine base was the Ross Gibson Hemi hunter, that I modified with and after market set of valve covers. The kobelco blower and hat came from Comp resins. The pullys are arrowhead industries and Chris, (Promodwrench), Scratchbuilt the fuel pump. The magneto is scratch built also.

The tach is one of my favorite parts, totaly scratch built by Chris. The chassis looks awesome Buck.

Back to top Go down

Post by dogfish7 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 12:27 am

I remember this one! Fantastic build Buck!
dogfish7
dogfish7
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum