Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Time for a brew'

4 posters

Go down

'Time for a brew'  Empty 'Time for a brew'

Post by Skid Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:00 pm

OK, bare with me while I set the scene for you:

It's 1948, and a young man by the name of Quentin Pargiter-Jones, an ex WW11 and Battle Of Britain Spitfire veteran, has long since returned from the war.

A man of independent means, he misses the excititment of flying his aicraft in sorties and dogfights against the enemy in the blues skies over southern England.

The year before, he bought himself one of those new fangled MG TC sports cars in order to bring some interest and excitement back into his life. However, after nine months of owning the car, his enthusiasim has once again waned and his mind turns to other things.

Recalling his amateur interest in geology, he makes an application to the Royal Geographical Society for permission to undertake a one man expedition to the Black Desert in Iceland, to study the rock formations.

Time passes and he becomes increasingly frustrated. However, in mid April, after several interviews, the letter of permission finaly arrives. He has been granted a four month study period starting on the 1st of May, not much time to make preparations.

Undaunted, he sets about obtaining all the neccassary equipment and embarks on the long drive north to the port of Girvan in Scotland, his port of departure, on April 28th. The drive is uneventful and he arrives in Girvan on April 27th.

The following day, he is on the dockside, overseeing the loading of his little sports car onto the ship. In those days, there were no such things as roll on, roll off ferries and vehicles had to be hoisted onboard indivdualy by crane. All went well, until the little car was just three feet from the deck. Then, dissaster, one of the ropes gave way and the front left of the car came crashing down to the deck. The car is quickly lowered the rest of the way and Quentin gets underneath to inspect for damage.

Forntunately there appears to be none.

The sailing to Rejkiavic is a little rough but otherwise as uneventful as the drive to Girvan. The car is safely unloaded onto the portside and after a quick visit to the harbour masters office, to present his papers, he is quickly through customs and on his way to the centre, where he finds lodgings for a few days acclimatization and to buy last minute supplies and stock up with water and fuel.

The eventful day arrives and he sets out for the interior and the Black Desert. The going is slow over the poor roads and making 50-70 miles a day is a good pace. On the third day he is making good time but makes a silly mistake and takes his eye of the road for a few seconds to look at a rather interesting rock foundation.

Suddenly, the front left wheel hits a large rock at 30mph and sends the front end of the car high in the air. The car crashes back down to earth but will not steer properly and is feeling distinctly low at the front left. The front left wheel is buckled and the spring broken. Anticipating something like this, he has brought a spare spring with him.

So, this is where we find him. The car is jacked up and he is busy stripping out the damaged spring, kettle on and 'Ready For A Brew'

I started with a base of 12mm plywood approx 12" x 11" in order that the finished dio will fit in my display cabinet. The half round side pieces will be replaced by some nice dark hardwood when finished.

I suppose I should really have started by laying down some base material but I just couldn't resist casting the rock, which led onto the Primus stove and the mug. Well, gotta get the priorities right.... right? LOL.

The rock was my first of this type of casting since I was a kid, when I used to cast and paint silly Plaster Of Paris 'Gnomes and things' The casting material is lightweight Hydrocal and I'm pleased at the way it came out. Despite the mold splitting on release.
Oh! and before any of you lot mention that there are no trees in Iceland, I picked up the 'deadfall' outside this a.m. and just wanted to see how it photographed.

The mug in the last photo is upside down. Doh! The mug, Primus stove and kettle still need a little work, but serve to give you the idea.

• 'Time for a brew'  Post-25-1239660866
  • 'Time for a brew'  Post-25-1239660879
  • 'Time for a brew'  Post-25-1239660910
  • 'Time for a brew'  Post-25-1239660955
  • 'Time for a brew'  Post-25-1239661085
  • 'Time for a brew'  Post-25-1239661165

Here's a few pics to show the type of terrain we are in.

• 'Time for a brew'  Post-25-1239707120
    • 'Time for a brew'  Post-25-1239707146
    • 'Time for a brew'  Post-25-1239707207

I added a teapot, which looks more like a coffee pot, so you chose. LOL.

I also added to the primus stove, a pressure pump, filler cap and Meths tray.

• 'Time for a brew'  Post-25-1239837648
    As a pre-cursor to the large rock, I experimented on a smaller sample first. I think it came out OK.

• 'Time for a brew'  Post-25-1240209265

is

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

'Time for a brew'  Empty Re: 'Time for a brew'

Post by Geezerman Thu 14 Mar 2013, 12:38 am

Cool !!
The weathering/coloring on the small rock looks GOOD !
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:56 am

Great start Al! That li'l rock looks great! I can't wait to see the big one done. Gonna be a cool Dio for sure. :)

P.S. The mug's handle is upside down. LoL
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu 14 Mar 2013, 2:24 am

I remember this one Al !!
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Mar 2013, 4:18 am

I like this Al. Jason I am not sure the mug handle looks right from here. :lol!:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Mar 2013, 9:01 am

I like it Al. Looking forward to seeing it finished. BTW, looks like your cup doesn't have a bottom and the tea is going to run out. :lol: :lol:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Thu 14 Mar 2013, 10:58 pm

Jason.... read the last line of my first post just before the first photo!! LOL

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down