Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale

+3
RetiredMike
harron68
beowulf
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale Empty Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale

Post by beowulf Sun 17 Feb 2019, 6:36 pm

had a strange turn of mojo loss recently..........it's not that I don't want to build, just that when I do things seem to go wrong, I'm simply not getting the quality of work I expect, my confidence has took a knock.........the Mercedes C9 has gone back in the box.....the GMC pickup is about to go in the paint stripper for the 4th time!.....so I'm going to do what I normally do at times like this........go braille scale armour!

bought the Scammel at a show for just a couple of quid.......one I never did as a kid....was new tool in 1962.......so it's only a year younger than me!......the Cromwell is pretty new.......I like how the tracks are moulded

Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale Ivvc52
Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 2wel1c6
Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale Oj2ctl
Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 2lm1aas
Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 23upemh
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale Empty Re: Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale

Post by harron68 Sun 17 Feb 2019, 10:35 pm

I've come to truly appreciate the "braille scale" military models! Looks like the company did a good job, didn't short change builders, crisp molding, nice molded-in detailing.
As to going thru slumps, when I built I did the best I could on each kit. Not until real adulthood impinged on my life, did I begin to have troubles and reboxed partly done models. I hope these war wonders help bring out the craftsman in you. BTW, any advice on how much to thin paint so fine details aren't lost, and how many coats go on, usually?

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale Empty Re: Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale

Post by RetiredMike Mon 18 Feb 2019, 6:17 pm

A very cool looking pair. Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 1817768433
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 23 Feb 2019, 5:22 pm

The more I see of these braille scale kits the more impressed I am both by the kits and the builders who take them on. Looking forward to watching this develop. popcorn
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sat 23 Feb 2019, 7:27 pm

Thank God you're doing one of these micro models too Paul, might give me some encouragement. Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 3887228019
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Mon 25 Feb 2019, 8:18 pm

what a difference 50ish years make.........the cromwell was new in 2011 and is going together like a dream......the scammell was new in 1962 and is an absolute dog!........ive had to scratch a front axle cos of short shot yet the last time i saw this much flash Queen were singing on he soundtrack!

Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale F54ncj

Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 2ennhbr
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Tue 26 Feb 2019, 2:59 pm

Both looking good from here, Paul.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Tue 26 Feb 2019, 3:28 pm

Please, no flashing!  Kits are gonna be great!  What camo scheme do you think?

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 26 Feb 2019, 5:39 pm

Built the tank and have to Scammell in the stash so I'll be interested in seeing how you get on with it Paul.

Nice work so far.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 03 Mar 2019, 1:14 am

The scale reference makes my eyes cross in sympathetic reaction, lol. Can't imagine the finikiness of removing flash from such small bits.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Mon 04 Mar 2019, 9:40 pm

the scammell is a pain to put together......added some stretched sprue cables......left the roof off so i can paint the interior and then add some windows

the cromwell comes with the option of the bocage cutter, added it cos it makes it look a bit more interesting

Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 2gt1apx

Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 1jqhqo

and a rough idea of what im aiming for

Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 2r21w0x
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Tue 05 Mar 2019, 12:34 am

webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 05 Mar 2019, 8:06 am

Thats coming on a treat Paul. The Cullen hedge cutter looks great on these. Are you going to use the 'snorkel' too. I did on mine.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Tue 05 Mar 2019, 11:15 am

Looks great Paul, going to be a little belter.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Tue 05 Mar 2019, 2:33 pm

Great work, Paul. Had to look hard, but finally see the stretched sprue, and it looks perfect.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Tue 05 Mar 2019, 4:26 pm

So many parts! Best to you in the painting.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 09 Mar 2019, 8:30 pm

Looking very nice! The 'weed trimmer' attachment does add to the Cromwell. Looking forward to the further development.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Fri 15 Mar 2019, 8:58 pm

good news and bad news

the cromwell is at this point........been painted, clear coated, decals added....next step is a wash then assembly before an all over matt coat

Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 2cgygjq
Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 120t4pi

the scammell however is on the back burner cos ive fecked up the trailer!..........forgot just how high this trailer is....(one of the reasons why theres so few still in existance.......after the war they were not popular on the civvie surplus market cos they dont go under low bridges!),..........and i glued on the rear bogie axle at not quite the right angle........no worries, the kit only cost me 50p at a show and no doubt i will pick up another at some point during the year
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Sat 16 Mar 2019, 12:53 pm

Very nice, clean work Paul. Just a question, though. I'm used to seeing tanks with a nation's emblem such as the US 'star', the German 'cross' or the Russian 'red star'. Is that now a thing of the past?
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Sat 16 Mar 2019, 5:17 pm

RetiredMike wrote:Very nice, clean work Paul.  Just a question, though.  I'm used to seeing tanks with a nation's emblem such as the US 'star', the German 'cross' or the Russian 'red star'.  Is that now a thing of the past?

you dont get them these days.......possibly cos it messes with camoflage and also gives an aiming point for the enemy

btw.....the US star wasnt actually american.....it was applied to Allied vehicles like this one.....theres one on the back of the turret but i didnt get a pic of it
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 16 Mar 2019, 10:00 pm

Nice progress on the tank and bummer as far as the Scammell goes. Here's to finding one really quick for even less than the first. Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 3887228019
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Sun 17 Mar 2019, 2:10 pm

KatsZenJammer wrote:Nice progress on the tank and bummer as far as the Scammell goes. Here's to finding one really quick for even less than the first. Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 3887228019

well since 50p equals about $cdn 0.8 id love to find another Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 1705482731
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Thu 21 Mar 2019, 5:29 pm

right.....the scammell is back on the table!

problem was i didnt take into account the angle of the trailer when it was hitched up so the bogie axle got glued in at the wrong angle, as if it was going up an slight incline......couldnt unglue it.......a get around came to me..........make a base with a slight incline!!

bit of polystyrene carved into shape, green scatter glued/sprinkled on top.........bit amateurish but at least i can finish as i intended

watch this space cos im ready to give the lot a matt coat
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Thu 21 Mar 2019, 5:42 pm

Good fix Paul, there there's a will there's a way Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Sat 23 Mar 2019, 1:24 pm

That's the spirit! Scammel and Cromwell, braille scale 4233681232
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next