Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topolino Street Rod

+4
Skid
dogfish7
Geezerman
Sam
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Topolino Street Rod Empty Topolino Street Rod

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:48 pm

I got my Double Dragster kits yesterday and I can't wait to do something with one of them. Well why does the old man have this in Street Rod Forum? I am going to try and build this one as a street rod that looks like an old altered class drag car, or not. I am also thinking of trying to build it full fendered. I will experiment with some fenders and see where it ends up.

So for sure we have this kit.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0522

I am going to use this Ross Gibson Late model Hemi as an engine.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0523

There will be lot's of tire on the back. Iam thinking the tires from the Tweedy Pie or the Revell Willys Coupe.

I have the body kinda mocked up waiting on it to lead me to the next step.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0524

Not much to start with but I wanted to get after it. LOL Thanks for looking all comments and Questions are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Topolino Street Rod Empty Re: Topolino Street Rod

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:49 pm

I didn't buy the Hemi for this build. I have a large collection of RG engines and decided to use one on this build. The kit engines are race engines. I wanted to build a street driven car so needed things like a water pump, alternator, etc. The RG engine had those things on it. Also the RG engine has a Torqueflite 727 transmission and the kit engines use an old in and out box. I think. It is some type of simple race style trans anyway. I say that based on the age of the kit. I know this kit came out the first time before 1965. I can say that because I went in the Army in 1965 and had already built the kit before then.

I took some pictures of my fender experiments Iam going to upload them now and post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:58 pm

OK here are what some of the full fender experiments looked like.

The first is a fenders from a 1929 Model A pickup truck.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0525

Then a set of Ala Kart fenders.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0526

Then a set of fenders from a 1927 Model T.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0527

And then the winner, I think, A set of fenders from the Revell 1932 3 window coupe.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0528

I like this one for a number of reasons. I like the forward rake the body has. The body naturally channels down over the fenders. The interior floor pan, seat and door panels look easy to cut and fit. Plus the work at the rear will be fairly easy.

door panels

Topolino Street Rod 100_0529

floor pan and seat.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0530

Here is what it looks like from the rear.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0531

So this is where we are at this morning. Iam going to build the engine first and then move on to the car. Iam thinking that I may not go the pro street look with this car. Maybe a large tire on all 4 corners. Make it look like a home made turn taker. We'll see where we end up later on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:21 pm

Thought I had better check in with the latest on this one.

I want to start by saying thank you to those following along. I was looking for things to keep this moving in the right direction. I wanted this car to have the touches of a today's style street rod but still have the nostalgia look of a Topolino. So some of things I wanted to incorporate were, Rack and Pinion steering, Mustang II style front end with adjustable coil overs. In the rear I wanted independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes. For the Wheel and tire I wanted to have a modern look without going to a band aid tire. Sorry guys I am still not ready to ride that wagon. That's when I discovered this kit.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0610

It gave me all I was looking for, plus a few other things. Here is the chassis mocked up.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0611

So I got all I was looking for plus, the frame is a new design style. Like you would buy from the aftermarket. It also has a hidden master cylinder. The next plus was the fenders fit it perfect. The wheels are like a modern Halibrand knock off. 20 inch in the rear and 17's up front. The 20's are a little large but that's what's out there right now, so we are gonna go with it. Plus the tires are not all the bandaidish.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0612

So all that gets us back to a mock up that looks like this.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0613

So I stuck everything together with Handi-Tak, much more accurate for the mock up. Then it ended up looking like this this.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0614

I got this far on the RG Hemi.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0615

Again this is today's stuff. The Hemi is a 514 inch crate motor so it's aluminum headed. The Hilborn style injection isn't real it is Digital. I will be building fuel rails and such for that later.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0616

The Torquflite 727 transmission makes it all pretty long. I am not sure it's gonna fit. I looked around in the junk yard and found a scatter shield for a Chevy and a 3650 style Tremec Transmission. So we might go that way to shorten things up, or because a 6 speed would make this thing a lot more fun. 6TH gear is .50 to 1 so we can put a good gear in the back and still make the Hot Rod Power Tour. A real high gear cruiser. If it is still to big then I will be looking for a different power plant.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0617

So that's where it is all at. I still need things like a dash and some seats, steering column and do dah stuff. Thanks for looking in. All comments and questions are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:37 pm

I bet you guys thought I gave up on this one. No way small person. Over the last week I have been working on finishing the Judge and still working out the bugs on this one.
I am sure you know how it goes when you are doing design work. It seems that every turn brings a new problem to be worked out. I will show you where I am now and explain how I got there. I am sure there is much more to be done before primer hits this one.

I had to change the back of the frame on the Phantom Vicky kit. It wouldn't let the body come down far enough in the very rear. I trimmed a section off the floor board and then put it back on at an angle. Then I had to move the rear cross member ahead about 1/8 inch. so it ended up looking like this.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0618

When I tried a power train mock up there was no way the Torqueflight transmission was going to fit. I am even having my doubts about the Ross Gibson Hemi at this point. I know they are 1/24 TH scale but man that thing is big. Anyway I dug around in the junk yard and came up with a 3650 series Tremec trans. This is the 6 speed that is used it Vipers, Vettes and Mustangs. Also found a Lakewood scatter shield. Put both of them in the bleach to remove the chrome and ended up with this.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0710

Topolino Street Rod 100_0711

Then to get it into the chassis I had to move the cross member back 5/16 of an inch. After doing that I found the Lakewood scatter shield was to big to go between the cross bars, so I found a smaller bell housing and painted it red to replicate the Lakewood scatter shield.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0712

This at least let me get the engine and trans into the frame rails and settled into place.

This was the next problem. I thought it would look neat to have the alternator hanging out one side and the power steering pump hanging out the other. Again. noway small person. They were hitting the fenders.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0713

So I cut them both off the front cover and then found a small alternator that would fit tucked in down low.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0714

I one quick slice of the Exacto Knife we now have manual steering. It could be a bear with the weight of the hemi up front, but we will live with it.

OK next problem was getting the hood off the valve covers.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0715
Also the oil pan seems to hang down pretty low. I decided to get out the Handi-Tak and do another full mock up. That way I could check the oil pan clearance and fit the hood at the same time.

That got me to here. You can see how I trimmed the hood. I wanted to keep as much of it there as I could.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0716

That didn't work so I ended up trimming the rest away.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0717

One more photo. This one shows the view from the front during the mock up. I love it.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0718

So now I know the engine will fit, have a tranny that will work and have the stance set. Now I can go back to doing the body work. I need to get it ti fit a little better in the rear around the fenders. If things go right I will have the Judge finished today and then I can go full speed on this one.

Thanks for looking in. All comments and questions are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 12:00 am

Thanks Sam. I want this car to be as close to drivable as I can get it. I feel that way about most of my builds. I want to put everything on it that a real car would have.

I Started to polish the injector tubes. I wanted to get them all set on the engine so I could cut the hood.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0810

After doinking with it some it came to me these are just not right. Way to tall. The front injector tubes stuck up as high as the roof.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0719

So it was back to the ferrell assortment to see what was there. It turned out that the biggest one fit over the injector on the manifold perfect. They are way shorter and look better than the white metal cast ones.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0811

As you can see the body is in working primer. Here is what I did on the rear end. Where the body meets the fenders.

Before
Topolino Street Rod 100_0812

After
Topolino Street Rod 100_0813

I know the body work needs to be done but you get the idea.

I needed to get the headlight thing worked out. Figured since it was a street legal car they would be nice to have. Here are 2 ideas I decided not to use.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0814

Topolino Street Rod 100_0815

The final way I went was like option 2 but with a smaller headlight. To start the interior I built a back firewall. Here is the rough fit.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0816

Then got a 32 dashboard cut down and fitted.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0817

Door panels from the Revell 32 Ford 3 window fit great. Had to heat and flatten them a little in the back. Had to shorten them by about 5'16 but the door cracks line up perfect.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0818

Got the body work finished and the body,fenders,hood and nose sanded and into white primer to be painted.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0819

The decided that a car like this should have a rollbar. I was going to put a full cage in it but there just wasn't room. Here's the rollbar and junk yard seats.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0910

Finished roolbar

Topolino Street Rod 100_0911

Then as a tease here is the nose in final color.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0820

Then just before I took the body and fenders into the paint booth. I decided this car needs a recessed license plate. So I added one. Oh well a little more body work to do.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0912

So that's it for now. I will update again in a couple days. Any comments and questions are welcome. Thanks for looking in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 12:24 am

Thanks guys for all the comments and questions. This is a head turner no doubt. So the good news the engine is almost done, just needs fan belt and radiator hoses, starter w/battery cable and headers. Also I got the fenders,hood and body into color. Then when I was clearing the body I dropped it. I let the clear dry and tried to sand it out and re clear but no way small person. It is now in the CSC. Some of the pictures I show this time will show the body in color but that is before I cleared it and dropped it.I have also decided to add all the plumbing for as full brake system, battery cables and fuel lines to the chassis. There will be two fuel lines a supply and return.

So where to start. As I said at the start, I wanted to build a street rod that was modern with it's technology but a classic "I am a Hot Rod body". So I started withe the engine. For the injector tubes I used wiring ferells. Then I built an injection system using craft beads and craft wire. The fuel system is like a direct port digital fuel injection. I made the injectors from Red seed beads. I have no idea what size they are I just went with the look. Then I made fuel rails from blue anodized craft wire. 20 guage. The fuel lines for supply and return are craft wire. It is called braided tiger tail. It comes in different sizes these are .018". The fittings are wire crimps and seed beads.

So this is what all that looks like.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0913

I have decided to leave the valve covers Black. I was going to Alcad them but the black looked so good with the body color I stopped right there. LOL

Then I added the distributor and spark plug wires.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0914

I couldn't find a coil that looked right so I scratched one from spruce.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0915

So when the dust had settled and all was done it looked like this.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0916

I test fitted it into the chassis and found the 2 fuel lines to be stiffer than I wanted and in the way. Always pushing the engine away from the firewall. So I used the next size up wire crimp and made a bracket to run them through. Problem solved plus it points the fuel lines out of the engine bay at just the right spot.

This picture shows the engine mock up, hood fit, etc.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0917

Topolino Street Rod 100_0918

So That's where I am at the body is in the CSC. Everything else has been cleared. And I am looking a big pile of stuff that looks like this.

Topolino Street Rod 100_0919

That is a test body that is painted and cleared. The rest is craft paint and flocking. Iam trying to pick my colors for the interior and on the outside the running boards and the soft top center section.

I will be back in a couple days with another update. All questions and comments are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 12:36 am

I want to thank everyone for following along. The comments, questions and input are always welcome. This site has a lot of real car guys that know what it takes to build a real car. What works and what doesn't. So Iam always listening to what you have to say.

Man time does fly. I can't believe it's been almost a week since my last update. Alot has happened since the last one. The body got stripped and repainted and cleared with no problems. While the body was in the CSC I got the interior colors worked out. The door panels and seats are painted. The engine is completely done. The fitting of the radiator hoses was a real trail and fit deal. I finally got them to fit just right. The front suspension is all done. I used springs from a transmission shift kit and aluminum tubing to build the front suspension. Will do the same in the rear. So here are the pictures of were we are at.

Here is a couple shots of the interior as it is now.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1010

Topolino Street Rod 100_1011

here it is with the body off. I don't know why the door straps look green. They are really brown. Done with a brown gel pen.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1012

Here is the full body mock up.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1013

Front suspension out of car.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1014

and in the car.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1015

Been working on the rear suspension and have it to this point.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1016

What is left, Well The rear suspension has to be finished and the ride height set. Then some type of exhaust will bee added. So far I have found no headers that will work. I do have 3 sets of manifolds that don't look all that bad and may be doable. brake lines need to be added to master cylinder and then run on the frame. So that let's you know what I will be up to.

All comments and questions are welcome. See you next time and Thanks for looking in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:11 am

Chris the two Topolinos that got me started on this build are these 2. The red one was at the Goodguys last year. It is powered by a small block Chevy. TunePort Injection, 4L60E trans. Very Sweet. I talked with the guy. He said since he built the car he and his wife are a lot closer when they go on a rod run. He said it is so tight that she won't make a long trip with him anymore. Once was enough.This car is a 1936.

Topolino Street Rod 100_2310

This one showed up at the Unfinished nationals last year. This car is a 1939. It is powered by a 4.3 Chevy V6. The guy spent 4 years making it look like a 1941 Willys. Dude it is wild. You would have to see the car up close to understand.

Topolino Street Rod 100_2812

I looked at building the Willys. Iam not saying no. I am saying my skills will have to improve a lot to make it happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:25 am

Thanks for the comments. I thought I would update this build. I was fitting it together to locate the engine for the last time and dropped the nose. That isn't so bad but when it landed it chipped the Dulpi-color lacquer that I had on it. Thought I could feather sand it out and fix it but NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway the nose is in the csc and my grand daughter and I are doing a prepaint 1958 Impala. That will keep me going until the nose is ready to paint again.

Here is a shot of the final front suspension. I did alter the wheels to tuck more of the tire under the fender, but more on that later.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1017

With that done it was time to get the rear suspension set into place once and for all. The aluminum pegs are there for alignment. They will more than likely not be there when it is finished.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1018

Topolino Street Rod 100_1019

The rear shocks are not final. The large tube will be glued up when it is done.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1020

With that out of the way time to add brake lines. Here is the rear end with all the line added. The small wire crimp is drilled to .016 to add the flex hose between the body and rear end.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1111

Front brake lines all done.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1112

This shows the front flex hoses for the brakes. Also the steering rack.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1113

Rear brake lines run. Another crimp bead for a fitting. Not sure about the sizes on these crimp beads. This is the smallest one I have found. They can be drilled. I find a seed bead can't be drilled.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1114

Got the drive line made. Drive line ends from the Vickie Phantom kit and the tube is 3/32 Aluminum tube.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1115

Here is a picture of the mock up to make sure everything will fit.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1116

That's it for now. I'll be back in a couple days to update again. All comments and questions are welcome. Thanks for looking in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:59 am

Thanks to everyone for the comments. They always make it more fun.

It doesn't look like a lot has happened since my last update but really y quite a bit has been going on. The chassis is completely done. If the wheels weren't glued in place it would be a roller. I guess it is a slider now. I made the exhaust system out of .093 solder. That scales out to about 2 1/4 inches. I tried .125 solder but it was to big. It didn't look right on the car. The battery cables are run and the fuel lines are done. So here is what all that looks like.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1210

The exhaust tips are wire ferrules the same size as the injector tubes. I wanted to breakup the back end a little. It was very wide and blank.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1211

This photo shows the final location of the headlights. I painted the buckets body color and left the trim ring chrome.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1212

Topolino Street Rod 100_1213

Yes the nose is back in primer. I dropped it. When it hit the floor the Dulpi-color lacquer chipped big time. I thought I could feather edge sand it and repaint it, but no. It was a different color. In to the CSC it went. It's back to body color now.

So with the chassis as a slider and on it's wheels and tires it looks like this.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1214

Topolino Street Rod 100_1215

Topolino Street Rod 100_1216

So time to start on the top parts. First is the carpeting. The color is Golden Brown Flock. When you put it on it looks like this.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1217

Everything all cleaned up and the roll bar put into place.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1218

Started working on the seats and the 5 point harnesses for them. I went with the blue like Simpson belts. If keeps the blue theme from the plug wires and injector tubes going.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1219

And that's where it ends for now. I will be gone out of town until Monday afternoon so I wanted to update before leaving town.

Thanks for looking in. All comments and questions are welcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 2:07 am

Hey everybody. I am still here. Just have been busy and haven't posted lately. The Topolino is finished and I will write the NMA when I am done here. I wanted to answer the questions and show how I finished it.

Thanks to everyone that followed along. John the interior is really easy to see. I will show you a couple pics.

When I last posted it was at the point on doing the seat belts. So here is how the Pro-Tech 5 points look when done. I decided on the blue to keep the blue trim theme going.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1310

This picture shows the door panel, glass, dash, steering column and pedals in place.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1220

Here is a through the top look.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1311

And the last one.

Topolino Street Rod 100_1312

OK guys that's it for this one. You can see the finished deal at the NMA. Thanks for looking in and a special thanks to those that followed along and took the time to comment. I know how easy it is to be a lurker, I do it myself.

As far as what will be next. I am not sure I have three projects that I want to move onto. See you there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue 12 Mar 2013, 2:41 am

This is just awesome Buck !! A Fat Fendered Topo !!
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Tue 12 Mar 2013, 10:43 am

I enjoyed watching thru this again.
Super COOL kit bash.
Great work !!!
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dogfish7 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:20 am

Definitely one of your crowning accomplishments! :cheers:
dogfish7
dogfish7
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm

Just went through this. What a fantastic build.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:31 pm

Thanks Paul. I enjoyed this one a lot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 12 Mar 2013, 3:22 pm

Always did like this one Buck. Well done!

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:03 am

I wanted to add this post. When I was copying and pasting this build from ZMC. I couldn't find these pictures on my computer and Fotki had lost the others so I skipped it, but I think you will like this.

The first is a stock Fiat Topolino built around 1936 or 37.

Topolino Street Rod Fiat-s10

This one is the Retro Topolino that Fiat wants to market in the US. I figure if a Hemi will fit in the old one, a Hemi will fit in the new one.

Topolino Street Rod Fiat-t10

So there you have it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:12 am

Cool retro rod. Just like the Fiat 500 being called a Dart for the US market.
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:15 am

Just like that Sam.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:18 am

maybe a Chrysler Airflow?
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Fri 09 Aug 2013, 2:48 am

I was just going thru some of the old files here and had forgotten what a wonderful job this was. Detail, care in fit and finish, it all went toether after hundreds of hours of patient, skilled labor. Thanx for a real model of it really is like!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Aug 2013, 4:02 am

Thank you.

Funny thing about this model it has won many awards at a bunch of model shows and has been photographed 7 times at shows but has never make it to print. It was photographed at Model fest this year, that was in March and again at The Puyallup Elks show in May. So still has to chance to make it. I really enjoyed building this model, when I started it was just an idea and I wasn't even sure it was possible. I have been thinking about building another one with a small block Chevy engine and a full hood. maybe a modern C5, C6 Vette motor and trans axle. That would be cool.
The car is on display at the local County Fair as I type this. Only 6 cars in it's class so I am hoping it does good.

Thanks again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Codfather Thu 22 Aug 2013, 11:48 am

Wow, superb work. The body colour is magnificent, and the front suspension and detail are brilliant. Great work 001
Codfather
Codfather

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next