Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey!

+2
Sam
Tumbler75
6 posters

Go down

Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! Empty Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey!

Post by Tumbler75 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 11:18 pm

I'm so in love with these Art Deco era cars this one has been on my grail list for decades! They are scarce and people buy them up like crazy then hoard them away from people like me. I go so lucky that a fellow member of my local car club gave me one! She gave me the Duesey and a 1953 Corvette both by Monogram.

This is the 1978 Issue from Monogram Duesenberg Boattail Speedster. Excellent subject and a charm with no flash and lots of excellent molded parts. Details are hit and miss, but I'm actually going to build this box stock as reference pics are RARE, like the real car!

Box of sprue parts:
Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! P7170132_zps2f359360

Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! P7170131_zps37a0beca

And here I got over excited and started prepping the die-cast body:
Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! P7170128_zps16f6ff3f

Continued:
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! Empty Re: Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey!

Post by Tumbler75 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 11:22 pm

Continued ...

I started prepping the body for primer and polish. For a die-cast body it needed some work, but minimal at best. So I got to work.

Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! P7170129_zps029ee9c0

Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! P7170130_zpse8b5a79d

Then I spent 3 hours this morning polishing the upper section of the body per instructions. Then primed the body to seal the metal body and keep it from turning. I might have to repolish the top a li'l but that isn't a biggie right now.

Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! P7180138_zps99bff24e

Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! P7180139_zpsa154632a

Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! P7180140_zps5e7b36e6

With the Focus looming ever so closely to the paint stage, I figured I needed something on the side to keep me occupied during drying times. ;) Enjoy!
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! Empty Re: Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey!

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jul 2014, 1:29 am

Jason: Looking good my friend. Super polishing job. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat 19 Jul 2014, 2:50 am

Nice subject !!  Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! 1705482731 
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sat 19 Jul 2014, 11:40 am

Sweet !
Love those old barges.
 Duesenberg Boattail Speedster - Its a Duesey! 3331969777 
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Sat 19 Jul 2014, 1:32 pm

My oh my! Metal models can be a real pain. Your efforts are really paying off. If you get the chance one of Monogram's last "classic" releases was the Packard boat tail. All plastic and with nice lines and as a new issue, it had crisp detail. I'll be watching. Btw, will you be sealing the bare metal with paint or simply a wax or rub-on sealer?

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Sat 19 Jul 2014, 2:59 pm

Great subject, Jason. Nice job, so far.

Love those old classics. I've got the 1/16th Entex version sitting in the stash.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jul 2014, 8:32 pm

Looking good Jason. Is it a Model J? Supercharged engine?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:36 pm

I'm not sure. I'll have to look at the engine a li'l closer. Doesn't say anything more on the box but the name.

Thanx everyone. I'm doing a tad bit of research to make sure I paint things in the correct colors. Something will come up soon.
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 20 Jul 2014, 10:05 pm

Nice work on the polishing Jason Can't help but think the paint would show it off better if it was black Still looks good though.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Jul 2014, 3:53 am

If it's a model J then the engine will be Green. Like John Deere Green. Everyone of them were that color.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down