Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peterbuilt conversion

5 posters

Go down

Peterbuilt conversion Empty Peterbuilt conversion

Post by tony557 Sat 01 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm

I thought I might share a Pete conversion I did a while back on another forum. It started life as a Revell 359 and I turnd the clock back to a earlier version of the 3 series from the 50,s-60,s.The amout of work involved in the hood modification was a major task in it,s self without mentioning the front fenders. But it all came together in the end. Enjoy.

[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0870[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0869[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0867[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0833[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0831[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0828[/img]
At the stage above I decided the headlamps were to big so removed them and bought some from a great guy in the US called Eric.

[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0826[/img]

also modified the air can.
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0825[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0824[/img]
also used Hendricson rear steel springs instead of the kit air setup.
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0810[/img]
cab removed ready for paint.
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0910[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0912[/img]
Chassie painted and cab in primer also scratched a fuel tank and made a mould for future use.( thinking out of the box).
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0913[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0930[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0931[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0933[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0937[/img]
cab removed for pinstripes and decals.
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0939[/img]
none standard grille mesh installed. Used this as it was thinner than the one supplied in the kit.
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0940[/img]
All wheels installed, cab fitted, seats and dash installed. All silver paint work done with Alclad polished steel and alluminum.
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0945[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0947[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0948[/img]
Lower door is real wood.
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0957[/img]
new headlamps installed and painted. (That's more in scale.)
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0959[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0960[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0962[/img]
Decided to make the mirror arms and braces from brass rod as the kit ones are pants.
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0966[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0965[/img]
[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_0968[/img]
All done and dusted bar the front bumper and turn signals.
Since the build it is now mounted on a board with a AMT flatbed trailer with the same 2 hole buds on as the unit but no load at present that's something for the future.
Thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Tony.
tony557
tony557

Back to top Go down

Peterbuilt conversion Empty Re: Peterbuilt conversion

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:36 am

I don't know much about this genre of model but the WIP I read was well written and the modeling was excellent. Good job.

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegt738 Sun 02 Jun 2013, 12:44 am

Nice conversion. Like the colours and the brass mirrors are a good idea.

Where did the resin wheels and rear end come from. I've got a old White Road Boss that I glue bombed back in the `70s that they would look good on.
stevegt738
stevegt738
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Sun 02 Jun 2013, 2:19 am

Tony, looks nice. I like the Hendrickson suspension, a real heavy duty unit. They are great for heavy haul, but ride real rough, especially empty!

I see the air tanks mounted outside of the rail. I have never seen this before, only inside of the rail. Is this the way they did it way back when? I also like the muffler shield and stack. What did you use for this? It looks real good!
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tony557 Sun 02 Jun 2013, 8:18 pm

Steve the resin suspention is a Auslowe item and the 2 hole buds are from Kit Form Services both are great guys to deal with 99% of my after market parts come from them.
Pete the exhaust stack came from a P/E set for a Kenny I built as I only used one on it the other found a place on the Peterbuilt I got the set from a guy called Hans in Jabbek at a show I think he has a website still I,ll have a butchers in my favorites and see if I can find it. If I can I,ll put it in the links section but I can tell you his shipping is done by weight and can be expensive if your only ordering a light Item. As for the air tanks I think they were as the truck was based on the same era as the one used in the film Duel if can find the pics I,ll also post them.
tony557
tony557

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegt738 Sun 02 Jun 2013, 8:37 pm

Thanks Tony.
stevegt738
stevegt738
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tony557 Sun 02 Jun 2013, 8:55 pm

Pete you must be one of the luckiest blokes to walk this soil I must have opted for KFS stacks on the Kenny as I have just been in the spares box and found the other one if you need it send me your postal address and I will pop it in the post on Friday as that's when I,m next of work.
There,s a pic bellow of the parts all you do is roll it around different size tubes until your satisfied with the size an shape then make the muffler pipe to sit inside the heat shield I,ll also put the two rings in that clip in the two grooves in the heat shield.
It,s a walk in the park as the brass is that thin all you have to do is keep it perfectly flat and tight on the tube when you roll it.

[img]Peterbuilt conversion IMG_1358-1_zpsd6540ab6[/img]

There,s also the rain cap two mounting brackets and two pipe clamps. The top of the stack in just alluminum tube with a slight bend then cut to desired length.
Tony.

p/s a pic of one with air tanks on outside of chassie rails. Thought I had one somewhere.
[img]Peterbuilt conversion DuelTruck1_zps855bbb5e[/img]
tony557
tony557

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Mon 03 Jun 2013, 6:09 pm

Man that is a great conversion and it looks perfect! Great work! Peterbuilt conversion 524092055

Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm

That last piccy reminds me of the truck in Dual,a fantastic movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat!

Back to top Go down

Post by tony557 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:01 pm

The last pic is Nigel it,s one of the three that were used and by all accounts the only one that remains in existence as the other two were trashed and scraped at the end of filming. I think that one was found in a breakers yard slowly decomposing in a corner before it was rescued from the claw and crusher. If you watch the film very closely you see in the part when the salesman is in the café and starts acusing folks of trying to kill him when he leave and spots the truck it has fuel tanks on both sides under the cab. Then later in the film the truck changes from having five spoke wheels to having two hole bud,s and a upright air cleaner with the wider grill of a early pete 359 model witch was modifided to only having three bars to create a optical illusion that it was a earlier model.Plus the film was overdubbed on the truck engine as one of them had a gasoline engine fitted. One diesel was av12 and the other a later 6 potter the list goes on and and on. A bit like the one with the film Convoy and the CruiseWhopper that was used.A Kenworth K100 modified to look like a Cruiseliner for the long shots and the part where it rams the police station with the R700LS.
Tony.
Ps sorry for being a trainspotter but I,ve wached both films too many times now.
tony557
tony557

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelby Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:18 pm

Like Buck I'm not all that familiar with these and I am totally impressed by what I've seen. It's also very nice not to see the original chrome from the kit as I feel it really looks tacky on these big beasts. Keep up the good work!
Shelby
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum