Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside

3 posters

Go down

Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Empty Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside

Post by Guest Wed 02 Oct 2019, 12:42 am

I need a break from the custom/building side of things. But still want to play with paint.
I am going to attempt to paint the livery of this car. Just the graphics not the logos, I am crazy but not insane, yet.

Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Img_2116

Back to top Go down

Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Empty Re: Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside

Post by dublin boy Wed 02 Oct 2019, 1:13 am

I can see a build off. lol
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Empty Re: Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside

Post by Guest Wed 02 Oct 2019, 1:38 am

I've been waiting over a year for you to join this and get yours going. Feel free to jump in when you get your camera sorted.
I'll have something to jump in the weekend GB when ever we all sort out the date.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2019, 9:02 pm

Working on a bit of everything today.

Rescribed all the panel lines, also resculpted a ton on the body crisping up an old molding.

Driver fitted and in primer, tire's getting the race worn look, bit of body touch ups, started polishing the glass after I shaved it down for a better fit and to get rid of the distortion.

Also had to shave down the centre of the wheels as they caused thentire to bugle in the middle.

Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Img_6716Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Img_6711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Oct 2019, 12:11 am

Spent an hour or so race weathering the tire's. They might have another lap on them, lol.

First pic is step 3 before the final detailing
Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Img_2118
Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Img_2117

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Hirakawa Sat 05 Oct 2019, 7:21 am

Curtis wrote:Spent an hour or so race weathering the tire's. They might have another lap on them, lol.

Could you explain the process please.
Mr Hirakawa
Mr Hirakawa
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Oct 2019, 1:26 pm

Mr Hirakawa wrote:
Curtis wrote:Spent an hour or so race weathering the tire's. They might have another lap on them, lol.

Could you explain the process please.

Here's a link to my tutorial David.

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com/t5145-race-worn-tire-marble-build-up#76251

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 05 Oct 2019, 5:28 pm

Great start! The painting of the livery is definitely do-able with a little consideration as to the shaping and the order of colour lay down. Looking forward to seeing your results.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Oct 2019, 3:47 am

Thanks Kats. I don't think painting the livery will be too difficult. Fingers crossed .

Small update. The lettering on the tire's has been completed. I've never bothered doing the lettering on tire before. I actually had to go buy a new 20/0 brush.
The letters have been worn off around the edges.I think They may need more of the letters 'scrubbed off' for a race worn look.

Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Img_2122

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 06 Oct 2019, 5:10 pm

The tyre letters looks good. The wearing off on the edges definitely adds realism, but the question of how much is always an issue.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Oct 2019, 5:41 pm

KatsZenJammer wrote:The tyre letters looks good. The wearing off on the edges definitely adds realism, but the question of how much is always an issue.

Thanks Kats.

I agree on the how much statement.

I used the scuff marks that were made when scuffing the wear marks as a 'guide'.
I might do another round of paint then knock the edges of the letters back with sand paper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Oct 2019, 6:24 pm

Wheels done. I use silly putty to 'mask' off the rims

This stuff is great for hard to tape areas. The downside is it can only be left for a few hours before it begins to sag into every crack and crevice.

I also got the shell painted white.

Thanks for looking in.

Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Img_2124
Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Img_2125
Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Img_2123

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sun 06 Oct 2019, 7:09 pm

My one looks low at the back mocked up like that too Curt.

I assume once the interior is built up it will come up a bit.

Leave the Dunlop logos on the tyres as they are, they're good, or you could have a go at the Goodyear logo on the other sidewall and see which you prefer.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Oct 2019, 8:38 pm

Thanks Shay, they look better mounted. I'm leaving them as is.

First colour laid down. I found this paint at a craft store, $2 for 150ml it matches almost exactly to the decal blue. It goes through an air brush great with awesome coverage. Might have found my new paint source. There are hundreds of colours in this line.

Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Img_2126

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sun 06 Oct 2019, 10:04 pm

I'm really hoping you can pull this off Curt!

Best of luck mate.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sun 06 Oct 2019, 11:59 pm

dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Oct 2019, 2:58 am

Thanks for posting that, and the vote of confidence Shay.

The masking has started.
Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Img_2127

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Mon 07 Oct 2019, 7:11 pm

The rear side windows are plastic and flush on the real thing, so you don't need to paint the frames black.

You'll still have to do all the rest though.

Excellent start.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Oct 2019, 3:03 am

Well this sure has turned out to be WAY more work then expected.

Tamiya Porsche 935 Martini Curdside Img_2128

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 21 Oct 2019, 10:05 pm

Nice hack for masking the wheels and an excellent result. The paint is superb and the first steps of masking look great as well. Looking forward to seeing this develop.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down