Scale Model Building Culture Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  

AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Faust
Faust

AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Empty
PostSubject: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitimeWed 19 Dec 2018, 3:03 pm

If there’s one word in my car modelling vocabulary that is worth a thousand images, it’s “Van”. When I was growing up, it was the waning days of the Vannin’ craze, and I can remember all kinds of totally awesome, mega-tricked out vans at car shows we’d go to in the spring and summer. Most of us remember those mural-bedecked rolling pleasure palaces as perhaps the most expressive automotive customs ever, even if they weren’t your thing. However, one thing I don’t ever remember seeing was a stock custom van.  If you’re asking “What?” then you’re like me when I first heard of the Ford and Dodge factory-made, custom-ready street vans.

As it turns out, AMT even gave us a kit of the 1977 Ford Cruising Van, complete with very loud factory striping! It’s been a  long time since it was available, and despite bringing out the custom Econoline “Phantom” van a few years ago, Round 2 has seen fit to resurrect  this long-gone piece of model kit history. The new version features some improvements too, like better tires and two kinds of striping!

I love vans, and I love wacky production cars. This is both! It doesn’t get much better than this, despite this things flaws. Check it out at the link below, but if it’s rockin’, don’t come a knockin’!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/amt-round-2-1-25-1977-ford-cruising-van-out-of-box/

Back to top Go down
https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
GaryDainton

PostSubject: Re: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2018, 5:21 am

Interesting read, thanks for the link. AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! 3887228019
Back to top Go down
disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2018, 11:16 am

Decent kit but my problem is I need a 71-75 MPC Dodge van to make a replica of the old custom one I once owned.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Faust

PostSubject: Re: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitimeThu 20 Dec 2018, 12:32 pm

Ah, yes. Those Dodges. I think I do have one in the stash; they're not easy to get! I'm amazed that Round 2 hasn't brought that one back, but I guess the moulds were changed for the later, "Bad Company" kind of Dodges, weren't they?

You're right. It's Decent, but that's about it.
Back to top Go down
disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitimeFri 21 Dec 2018, 11:56 am

Faust wrote:
Ah, yes. Those Dodges. I think I do have one in the stash; they're not easy to get! I'm amazed that Round 2 hasn't brought that one back, but I guess the moulds were changed for the later, "Bad Company" kind of Dodges, weren't they?

You're right. It's Decent, but that's about it.

Sadly yes they did ruin the mold tool for the 71-75 Dodge van kits to make the Bad Company one with...good name in my opinion to call it bad...the body style of it is horrible looking to me. I actually have a couple from my dad sold collection but they need a ton of stuff for them to be anything now...he got them because they were close to ones we owned once...
71-74? Window van
71-75 Cargo van

Both need parts and repairs before they could be anything again...just cant find the parts so I can. Mine old custom was a 75 Tradesman van with a Goodtimes conversion...beautiful thing. As a kid I tried to get my hands on every 71-75 Dodge van kit I could..love them anyway and there a good kit.
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member
webby

PostSubject: Re: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitimeSun 23 Dec 2018, 10:09 am

I managed to get in on the tail end in 1980 with this one. My Holden Gemini (yes I did take it on the beach. Mags, a Weber carb and what was then a killer (50 Watts) sound system made it a fun ride.
Space & money permitting, I'd have another one in a heartbeat
AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! 3331969777_ge10.jpg" border="0" alt="" />
Back to top Go down
disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitimeSun 23 Dec 2018, 11:35 am

webby wrote:
I managed to get in on the tail end in 1980 with this one. My Holden Gemini (yes I did take it on the beach. Mags, a Weber carb and what was then a killer (50 Watts) sound system made it a fun ride.
AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! 3331969777_ge10.jpg" border="0" alt="" />

Webby... Any photos of it..? Mine had baby carpeting...chin spoiler...aluminum slotted wheels and wide white lettered tires...roof vent that looked like a scoop...fender flares...2 slanted rectangle porthole windows on each side...beautiful air brushed murals down the sides...side pipes...sink..bed...table...etc. in it. I too was on a few beaches once.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Faust

PostSubject: Re: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitimeSun 23 Dec 2018, 2:57 pm

This thread needs pics!!

Anyone who's got old pics of their vans, we need them up here! Let's get the inspiration going!!!!
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member
webby

PostSubject: Re: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitimeMon 24 Dec 2018, 10:49 am

disabled modeler wrote:
webby wrote:

Webby...  Any photos of it..?   Mine had baby carpeting...chin spoiler...aluminum slotted wheels and wide white lettered tires...roof vent that looked like a scoop...fender flares...2 slanted rectangle porthole windows on each side...beautiful air brushed murals down the sides...side pipes...sink..bed...table...etc. in it.   I too was on a few beaches once.

Opps, my bad. Let's try that again! The grill in one pic, the front bumper in the other are missing due to kangaroo hits. A mattress & I lined the back, and it was a comfortable bed. Managed to sleep three in there once!

AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! 0004a_10

AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! 0004_g10
Back to top Go down
disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitimeMon 24 Dec 2018, 11:28 am

I like it...! sadly there are no photos of my old one now...only ones I can still see are in my head now of it. I always wanted to build Mad Max wifes little van...and his Black interceptor from the first movie.
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member
webby

PostSubject: Re: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitimeMon 24 Dec 2018, 11:44 am

Built on the GM 'T' car platform thus a relation to the Chevette. A mix of Opel, Isuzu and Holden parts. Came together well.
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
GaryDainton

PostSubject: Re: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitimeWed 26 Dec 2018, 1:11 pm

Great memories there Chris.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!   AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AMT's Crusing Van back on the Streets!
Page 1 of 1