Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any of you ever feel like throwing in the towel...?

5 posters

Go down

Any of you ever feel like throwing in the towel...? Empty Any of you ever feel like throwing in the towel...?

Post by disabled modeler Mon 17 Dec 2018, 11:44 am

Hi brothers... Do any of you ever feel like you might as well just throw in the towel due to lack of luck finding things..???

I have been in a stand still trying to find things I can afford for stuff I have or projects for some time now...seems there is always something stopping me from getting anywhere with them. Ebay is a good source to find stuff but on my budget its not a realistic path for me...and with the rising cost of kits these days..? Between my health issues and budget I have been thinking about it some lately.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Any of you ever feel like throwing in the towel...? Empty Re: Any of you ever feel like throwing in the towel...?

Post by beowulf Mon 17 Dec 2018, 6:34 pm

yes and no....but for different reasons......but for me its a stress reliever......dosnt matter if its a £5 or £40 kit, it will do its purpose of relaxing, im not a perfectionist im just happy bodging plastic
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Any of you ever feel like throwing in the towel...? Empty Re: Any of you ever feel like throwing in the towel...?

Post by dublin boy Mon 17 Dec 2018, 7:38 pm

Mark, I may be wrong but most of the stuff you're looking for is old Johan Unoptanium for your Fathers old kits.
Maybe you should put them to one side and build some other kits?
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Tue 18 Dec 2018, 11:38 am

dublin boy wrote:Mark, I may be wrong but most of the stuff you're looking for is old Johan Unoptanium for your Fathers old kits.
Maybe you should put them to one side and build some other kits?

Shay brother... Yes many are old Johans and my dads but a lot of them are AMT..MPC..SMP..etc. models and promos. bad thing is I am really only into the very very late 50s through mid 70s body styles and many these days are not my cup of tea that are out and my very low income fights me too so I tend to try to work on stuff I already have if possible. I know many are scarce over where you are at anyway but one would think someone would have something for them they would part with over here where Im at. I have had a couple guys here contact me on parts but there nuts...20 bucks for a bumper plus shipping..??? With todays kit prices on the rise I wonder how much longer Ill be able to buy anything that comes out..last kit i bought myself was the first reissue of the AMT 70 Bonneville convertible with speed boat..LOL.. One has to build what gets their interests or motivates them to build too. Some people only build old vintage kits...me I never cared if they were originals or reissues there the same kit most times anyway. being a mostly factory stock builder/restorer can be a curse since you have to have the stock parts or option parts. I have many build project ideas in my head but still cant find what Id need for them ether. Guess my next ones with be just re-polishing old promos for now.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Tue 18 Dec 2018, 10:27 pm

I've spent 10 years swapping, buying or trading for old kits Mark, so I know what you mean.

I wouldn't give 10 bucks/euros/pounds for a new Tamiya Ferrari kit.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Wed 19 Dec 2018, 9:11 am

Mark, I'm hearing you re the prices. 2 bucks for, say a bumper is fair enough, but north of 20 USD for shipping. Really?

As you say, mostly stock/ factory builds can be a killer price wise. Since that's what I build (mostly) I understand

Keep restoring. Some of my kits have been are on they're third build/rebuild.

Cheers,
Chris
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Wed 19 Dec 2018, 11:26 am

Thanks brothers... I would have given up on these many years ago but they are all I have of whats left of my dads old collection. I hate greed...it ruins people. Now I understand one needing to get a return on what they have but some people seem to just want to make tons of money off the stuff they have and are un-realistic in this world today. being on a very very low disability income does not help me ether...I get 535.oo per month to be honest and I worked 2 jobs all my life because I liked working and what I did. I have always been a modeler...but now its my escape from my 24/7 pain and boredom since I cant work now.

Webby...I have no issues with someone wanting 2 bucks for a decent bumper seems fair enough to me.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Wed 19 Dec 2018, 11:40 am

disabled modeler wrote:Thanks brothers...  I would have given up on these many years ago but they are all I have of whats left of my dads old collection.   I hate greed...it ruins people.  Now I understand one needing to get a return on what they have but some people seem to just want to make tons of money off the stuff they have and are un-realistic in this world today.  being on a very very low disability income does not help me ether...I get 535.oo per month to be honest and I worked 2 jobs all my life because I liked working and what I did.   I have always been a modeler...but now its my escape from my 24/7 pain and boredom since I cant work now.  

Webby...I have no issues with someone wanting 2 bucks for a decent bumper seems fair enough to me.

Two bucks for the part, even 5 is OK. It's the 20 odd USD that some want for postage the annoys me.
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Wed 19 Dec 2018, 7:46 pm

USPS used to get a kit to Ireland for 13 bucks US a few years ago, now it's nearer to 30.

Mind you a lot of people are marking up the postage prices so the kit looks cheaper.
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Thu 20 Dec 2018, 11:14 am

Yep even with a cheap part the postage can keep me from getting anything...postage costs have gotten stupid here too. I will never use their flat rate boxes...plain box same size and weight goes for about 1/2 the cost. if things keep going the way they have some of us will have to give up on trying to buy or ship anything...??? I got my wife a Christmas present took me a year of saving anything I could just to afford it and its not anything special really.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Thu 20 Dec 2018, 4:27 pm

Yes, prices are going up all over. The best suggestion I can think of is to get in touch with local modelers. They may have tips on nearby events, also they can be somebody to buy from or you may have something they want (items or one of your skills) to swap.
When I built, yrs ago and was amassing kits I went to local Northern Ill and Wisc shows. Wheaton, Il has the county fairgrounds and Feb 24, 2019 is the next model convention. There prices vary from as little as $3 for gluebombs on up for rare kits. I checked and from Quincy it's a 5 hour trip. If you could get somebody interested in going, they could get you some bargains, or maybe give you a ride. There used to be shows at the Ill/Iowa "quad cities" area too.
Finally, I wouldn't give up on buying by internet. Your area may have "house sale" folks who will offer you deals on stuff they'd like to dump. You never know, you may get lucky.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disabled modeler Fri 21 Dec 2018, 11:47 am

I have not been to a show or swapmeet in many many years now....use to go tot he ones in St. Louis, MO. about 2 hours away from me. I look at garage sales..etc. locally when I can but there not as easy as they once were to find at them. I do trades with others when i can most times its the only way to get something one needs or wants. Gluebombs...I have made a decent build from 2 or 3 or more gluebombs before or damaged kits..etc...not afraid to go that route ether. A buddy of mine dose look out for the stuff I need..etc. at the shows but has had no luck yet or no luck at anything with a decent price tag on it so far for what it is like. Sure everyone would love a pristine vintage kit but Im happy with ones I can save that need help as long as I can find what they will need or are complete enough to save or have the unique parts required to...nothings prefect.

disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down