Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories

+10
Geezerman
disabled modeler
webby
kpnuts
beowulf
harron68
GaryDainton
Skid
RetiredMike
KatsZenJammer
14 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Empty Re: SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories

Post by Mr Hirakawa Sun 08 Sep 2019, 8:52 am

Your work truly is at another level. Outstanding.
Mr Hirakawa
Mr Hirakawa
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Empty Re: SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories

Post by KatsZenJammer Thu 12 Sep 2019, 3:23 am

Thanks for the positive vibes  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 3887228019

This first photo is a sample from a 'how to' thread on what I consider to be a successful experiment in worn leather paint effects done entirely with hair brushes - well the primer of matte black was shot with an AB. Anyway, that's my over 20 year old wallet which provided a very convenient 'target' and this is an 'almost done' image. I promise to get the 'how to' thread up ASAP.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam194

Here are all the things that weren't already painted at the base coat stage. All got Tamiya acrylic matte black as primer, shot with an AB, then it was hand painting using enamels, primarily Testors but also some Humbrol. This is before the sealing coat of clear matte, shot with AB, which will be followed by dirtying, detail painting and other stuff. Oh, yeah, the knife blade is still unpainted - there are options floating around at this time.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam195
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Thu 12 Sep 2019, 7:43 am

All looking brilliant Kats but I must say that the work on the leather is nothing short of astounding.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Thu 12 Sep 2019, 12:11 pm

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 1705482731
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 14 Sep 2019, 4:18 pm

Thanks for the positive energy, fellows  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 3887228019

Some progress to report. The dirtying of the accessories proceeds, here are two photos of the oiler can after several rounds of careful application. Mostly diluted Tamiya acrylic matte black but also Vallejo model wash (oily dirt variety). One thing I noticed in the photos is the accidental 'pitted metal' look of the body of the oiler - I could take credit for that as having been the plan all along but that would be a steaming whopper of a lie. Next comes a final sealer of clear matte and then some spot glossing for the oily look.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam209SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam210

The lighter rod and one side of the pistol. The lighter rod got an initial base coat of Testors flat gun metal then was highlighted with Tamiya acrylic gun metal (which is more metallic) and then dirtied with Vallejo model wash. The pistol got some basic dirtying as well as the bits then the assembly began. All of the dirtying on the pistol parts was done with Tamiya acrylic matte black in various dilutions. Not yet installed are the binary propellant tanks.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam211

The other side of the pistol.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam212

The binary propellant tanks are going to get some transparent tones but I'm still figuring out which ones I want to use to overlay the base metal colours. 

The dagger is still waiting patiently for me to do the cord winding around the handle then I figure out if I'm going to paint the blade or hide it in a scabbard - which is why I haven't gone and painted it already. One possible option would be to have the blade partially deployed so only some of it shows.

And soon will begin the process of making the rest of the stuff from Milliput. It might take a while before I can get to this because it demands a certain time investment for the initial soft sculpting - not something I can simply set aside and get back to later. Maybe I'll practice some more and whip up some Cornish pasties as previously mentioned ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Sep 2019, 5:41 pm

More spectacular work Kats! I would love to see what you would do for a Halloween Costume.

Here's a link to a good Cornish Pastry recipe.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-cornish-pasty-recipe-435042

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 15 Sep 2019, 8:28 am

Pasties sound good, you can't expect your steampunk biker to work on their ride without sustenance. Brilliant work Kats SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 1705482731

Last edited by GaryDainton on Sun 15 Sep 2019, 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Sun 15 Sep 2019, 3:13 pm

Beautiful handiwork.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 21 Sep 2019, 11:57 pm

Thanks for the positive energy, and pastie recipies, lol.  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 3887228019

So still haven't started in on the sculpting thing but the rest of it got some attention. The knife handle gets cord wrapped, this photo was taken just after the initial application, glossiness is from the CA.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam213

The propellant tanks for the pistol. I neglected to take photos of the differing colours but one tank is gold-ish and the other is silver-ish for the base coat. Then they got a coat of Golden transparent alizarin crimson applied with hair brush.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam214

Now its time for a few 'done' photos. This is the spanner group after a bit more staining and a final shot of clear matte.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam215

The screwdrivers and nut drivers. The handles got grimed a bit more then shot with clear matte.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam216

The pliers after griming and clear matte.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam217

The hammer, adjustable wrench and firing rod.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam218

The pump oiler can. I might still add more grime but for now all I plan to do is some semi-gloss and gloss spot highlighting for the oil-sheen pop.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam219

As I was working up sketch ideas for the gauntlets I re-found some initial idea sketches of the pistol and knife. Here's a photo of the pistol and the spare propellant tank with the sketch. 

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam220

The other side of the pistol.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam221

The initial idea sketch of the knife and the almost finished product. 

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam222

I forgot to take photos during the process of finishing the propellant tanks and the griming of the knife handle, oops.

I'm trying to work up the motivation to start the sculpting but a lack of focus is keeping me from committing at this time. Milliput isn't horribly expensive but it costs enough that I am averse to wasting it on frivolous noodling. Once I have more of an idea as to how I want to approach the shapes I'll be more likely to make the leap.

And the tool rolls and assorted extras are also in limbo ... still mulling over those as well ...

Mmm ... cornish pasties ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 22 Sep 2019, 1:30 pm

Great work Kats, the pistol grip is brilliant!
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Mon 23 Sep 2019, 1:03 am

Again, beautiful work on those tools.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 28 Sep 2019, 4:27 pm

Thanks for the positivity  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 3887228019

So, stalled on the sculpting - more about time than ideas but a lack of focus is also an issue here. So instead of just sitting and doing nothing I chose to get started on the tool rolls.

After playing around with some modern tool rolls in leather, nylon and canvas I decided that canvas would be both more appropriate to the back story of the Steamcycle and slightly easier to achieve. First, though, I had to figure out the shape of the roll and the placement of loops and straps and such. So out comes the paper for some cut out fun. Instead of pockets for the tools I am going the double strap route and will be adding top and bottom fold over flaps to secure the tools when rolled. Not only does this make it easier but it also does not obscure the tools themselves. 

This is the 'big tools' roll being worked up.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam223

The 'medium to small' tools roll being worked up. This one is going to be renovated a bit as the placement is a bit crowded. This one will be single straps and bigger flaps - I considered long slot pockets for the screwdrivers but that would require a lot of material and I worry about how 'thick' the roll would wind up looking.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam224

The big tool roll with strap holes cut out and flaps formed. The circled slots are the ones being cut out, each tool will have a strap and a snap closure so it will not be a single run through strap as I have seen in some examples.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam225

The backside of the previous photo. This is one layer of book binding tape, the stuff I used for pipe wrap on the Steamcycle. Cut thin strips for seam coverage and to join the flaps to the main portion. The book binding tape is cloth based and from previous experiments I figure that I can get a realistic canvas texture and look without too much hassle ... those could also be some famous last words, lol.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam226

And so it goes. Not getting in a lot of time due to the usual real life stuff like ... well ... life, but an autumnal slow down is sort of traditional for me.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:21 pm

The canvas looks the part. It always a great pleasure to check in on the updates.

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 29 Sep 2019, 3:36 pm

Looks brilliant Kats, Ill look forward to the 'canvas' effect.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Mon 30 Sep 2019, 2:39 pm

Nice.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 05 Oct 2019, 6:00 pm

Thanks for the positive feed back, fellows  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 3887228019

Slamming some backlog photos out there while there is an opportunity.

After much consideration the choice for the tool straps finalized to the double loop pass through style instead of snap clips or other forms of buckling - mostly due to ease of fabrication and also 'real life' practical considerations seen when looking at all the different styles of tool rolls out there. 

The straps are more of the book binding tape cut to a 3mm width. The square loops are 24 gauge copper wire. This is during the proof of concept test making phase.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam227

Proof of concept test phase checking on the fit and appearance.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam228

Making the loops - needed 24 so I made a couple of extra to account for unintended tweezer catapult situations. After forming I annealed them ever so slightly then blackened then in Jax solution.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam229

Straps in place. To form these I laid book binding tape onto paper, backed it on the other side with more book binding tape, carefully split the paper thickness then pulled the tape sides apart. This reduced the thickness of the paper then laid fresh book binding tape on the paper side with an overlap, or tab, which left some adhesive. Carefully pull the adhesive tab through the slot and lay it down on the back to secure it. Then thin CA was very carefully tapped onto the securing tabs on the back to lock them in place.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam230

The re-worked double loop, instead of the original idea of using double sided tape I wound up using just book binding tape backed onto itself to make a roll over patch for the loops, then secured it sticking the tape onto itself and left a tab of adhesive similar to the straps.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam231

What it looks like in place.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam232

How it works with the tool. Looping the strap through requires two tweezers and great care as the thin wire loops are easily bent.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam233

All of the straps and loop buckles in place.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam234

The backside showing the adhesive tabs which have been further secured with thin CA. The lines of tape are underlays to create a seam effect when the cover strips are laid on.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam235

Test fit of the tools for the roll. The straps have not been secured fully because of the finickiness of removal.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam236

This post ends here - I still have more photos which I will try to post later today. Coming up are the exterior straps for the roll itself and then the process of painting.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Oct 2019, 8:34 pm

Wonders never cease. More magic and soucery.

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin boy Sat 05 Oct 2019, 9:06 pm

It's mental.

You're not normal Kats! SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 1792231099
dublin boy
dublin boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 06 Oct 2019, 2:13 pm

Stunning work Kats.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 06 Oct 2019, 3:14 pm

Outstanding, simply outstanding. SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 1705482731 SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 1705482731 SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 1705482731

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sun 06 Oct 2019, 5:38 pm

Thanks for the positive vibes, guys  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 3887228019

Second round of backlog posting - getting this online while I have the opportunity.

Working up the roll straps - 5 mm wide straps and slightly wider loops. This photo shows the basics of how I secured the loops as previously described for the tool straps. I had considered doing a more standard belt buckle style (centre post through strap hole) but as this won't really be seen or used I chose to go the simpler route.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam237

The straps cut slightly longer than needed to start.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam238

Simple pass through pads to secure to the roll.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam239

Affixed to the roll exterior.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam240

Colour experiment - the first. Humbrol matte #29 - I have no idea what it's called - dry brushed onto the exterior as that side won't be shown in the display so making mistakes is much less of an issue. Then I remembered that I wasn't finished with the seaming and details, lol.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam241

Edge seaming added, just thin strips of book binding tape folded over and cut strategically.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam242

The interior of the tool roll with Humbrol #29 dry brushed on.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam243

Humbrol matte #36 - lightly dry brushed in zones rather than generally - both sides. This step is finicky because the goal isn't to have the actual colour show but rather add a 'bottom note' behind the additional coats to come.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam244

Highlighting begins with Humbrol matte #93. It should be noted that because I'm using enamel there is a minimum 2 to 4 hour dry time between coats - maybe a bit of overkill but I don't want to risk colour bleed or unanticipated smearing.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam245

The target effect is old, used canvas but milady pointed out that the effect was currently verging on old oilskin cotton cloth. Not sure how far I'll take this roll, because its for the bigger tools I may try to retain that oilskin look. 

The smaller tools roll is being worked up - hope to keep it up and get some photos posted soon. 

On the real life note - still not sure about the 'work interfering with the rest of life' issue that looms, hopefully there will be some developments this coming week. I'm hoping that the status quo reigns supreme, wish me luck, lol.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 06 Oct 2019, 9:13 pm

Tremendously effective weathering Kats, really works for me.
Ill drink to the status quo, good luck SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 3887228019
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Mon 21 Oct 2019, 11:14 pm

Thanks for the positive vibes  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 3887228019

So I managed some time in the build zone. The second tool roll makes its way onto the bench starting with a rethink of the original idea. This is the new array and proportions.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam246

The basic blank after assembly. The same techniques used on the first roll at play.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam247

Toll placement straps and loops - for this one it's just centre loops for two thirds of it.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam248

Edging laid on.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam249

Test fit of the tools.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam250

Trying something different for the roll strap buckles. Using 22 gauge copper wire for the buckle and 24 gauge brass wire for the post.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam251

Setting the buckles into the straps.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam252

Mounted onto the outer side of the roll using pass through patches the same as the first roll.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam253

Punching holes through the strap ends. To keep the holes from closing tiny bits of slightly diluted PVA (white glue) were tapped around the holes with the needles in place.
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam254

Test roll without tools, a spur of the moment thing. 
SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam255

Next comes painting and further detailing. At this point I ought to address the fact that the tool rolls are not very realistic based on the stuff I researched. Most of the ones I found had tool pockets and those with straps didn't have buckles, so what resulted was a design meant for visual display of the tools. After putting in effort on the appearance of the tools it didn't feel right to hide them in the dio.

And hanging around the edges, waiting patiently, is the little bag or something to hold the oiler can and ignition sparker. Still not sure how or where to secure the lighter rod. 

And though things have been a tad off schedule of late this also allowed a week off - the box of Milliput epoxy putty sits there beckoning me to make some gauntlets ... and pasties ...
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Tue 22 Oct 2019, 3:09 pm

Greatly enjoyable Kats, bring on the gauntlets and pasties I say! SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 1705482731
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KatsZenJammer Sat 09 Nov 2019, 6:35 pm

Thanks for the positivity  SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 3887228019

Well, the best laid plans ... 

So things didn't work out as hoped but at least there was some progress. The problem is that I didn't document the actual painting process with as much detail so I have forgotten the colours used.

But, here is the smaller tool roll with a base coat of Testor's flat rubber on everything except for the straps - you can kind of see the subtle colour change.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam256

Both rolls start getting worked on simultaneously. This is after a dry brush layer of something akin to sienna.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam257

Dry brush layer of medium brown or something similar.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam258

Here I remembered to include the paint used for this colour layer.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam259

Then there were a few other colour layers which I forgot to document - then on a whim I decided to see how they looked when rolled.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam260

The back sides after the painting is mostly complete.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam261

The inner side.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam262

Tools in place - the 'big tool' roll.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam263

The 'little tool' roll.

SteamCycle Dio Base & Accessories - Page 5 Steam264

And these are pretty much done. The plan it to display them on the dio in the open to show the tools - sort of as if there is work that is going to be done or has already been done on the cycle.

Things in real life are taking unexpected (though not bad) turns and twists. The most recent development is that milady's son is moving back to Vancouver in mid-November so I'm in the process of packing away the hobby zone to make room for his stuff in the guest room.

There will be more photos as I've been doing some work on a kit bag for the oiler and flint striker. There is also a bedroll in the works which I have not documented at all ... I feel shame for forgetting but will try to recall the steps in order to describe what I did with it.

There might even be a pic or two of the cycle on the base with the base frame and bits - sort of a 'planned completion' view.

And I hope to pop in more often, I find these multi-week gaps in checking in to be a bummer for me.
KatsZenJammer
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next