Skid's Place

Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Static build up issue while AirBrushing Poly-U (solved?)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Static build up issue while AirBrushing Poly-U (solved?)   Sun 18 Feb 2018, 2:34 pm

Over the past few years I switched to clear Poly-U for many reasons. The main reason for it's flow and smooth glossy finish, another 
one is it makes a great barrier between different types of paint.

In my last house/model room some of you may remember I had posted up that I was having a major issue with particals 
contaminating the finish. 
I had gone to great lengths to eliminate and control the contaminant, with little change in the results.

I had suspected there might be a static build up issue being caused by the Poly-U. Doing some searching on the net it turns
 out poly-u does create static during the spray process and after. Part of the build up is of course caused by me and 
the chair rolling across the floor. 

I also actually produce a high static discharge.  When I worked in the IT industry as a tech I would cause all sorts of 
issues that our engineers had never seen in beta and alpha testing of software and hardware. 

Soooo, to combat this I have taken the following measures. Pictures are self describing.

I will be doing a test spray soon to see if this helps, it can't be any worse then it was. 

09:28:59

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Static build up issue while AirBrushing Poly-U (solved?)   Sat 24 Feb 2018, 2:53 am

Curt, you're getting serious here. I've never thought about static causing any paint issues.
I learn something new every day.
Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: Static build up issue while AirBrushing Poly-U (solved?)   Sat 24 Feb 2018, 3:46 am

Crazy eh webby?
I won't know for sure until after a couple shells. I really should lay down a test on my proof of concept, aka practice shell. I have only used the new Poly u on parts for the 32 Coupe. They parts are virtually dust free. Being grounded is always a good thing when working around ISO Propanol Alcohol.

Back to top Go down
Promodmerc
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Static build up issue while AirBrushing Poly-U (solved?)   Sat 24 Feb 2018, 5:37 pm

webby wrote:
Curt, you're getting serious here. I've never thought about static causing any paint issues.
I learn something new every day.

When I started working on my '37 Chevy for the group build, the body had so much static it was like a magnet. Every little microscopic particle would stick to the body.

I wiped the body with a tack cloth and before I could even think about laying down primer, there was crap on the body.

The problem is compounded by the cold dry weather. The temp in my basement was below 60F and the humidity was under 30%
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Static build up issue while AirBrushing Poly-U (solved?)   Sat 24 Feb 2018, 7:06 pm

Though I haven't run into issues with static (yet) I can well imagine the impact it has on micro-particulate paint situations. One thing that might be an option is to get a small humidifier to kick up the water content of the air in the work space.

Also, do you wear latex/vinyl gloves when painting? Occasionally I've noticed that the material of the gloves I use can be quite staticky - dunno why this is and maybe I'm imagining things.

Hope your work-arounds prove effective as I've taken notes in case the same happens to me.
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Static build up issue while AirBrushing Poly-U (solved?)   Wed 28 Feb 2018, 12:44 pm

Plastic Freak wrote:
Crazy eh webby?
I won't know for sure until after a couple shells. I really should lay down a test on my proof of concept, aka practice shell. I have only used the new Poly u on parts for the 32 Coupe. They parts are virtually dust free. Being grounded is always a good thing when working around ISO Propanol Alcohol.

Not crazy, Curt. It's well worth looking at.
Back to top Go down
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Static build up issue while AirBrushing Poly-U (solved?)   Mon 07 May 2018, 11:58 pm

I haven't forgot. Was out of town until tonigjt . I'll try to get things going tomorroe .

"My second childhood is so much more fun than my first."
Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: Static build up issue while AirBrushing Poly-U (solved?)   Tue 08 May 2018, 1:13 am

All good John.

My solution seems to have worked.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Static build up issue while AirBrushing Poly-U (solved?)   

Back to top Go down

Static build up issue while AirBrushing Poly-U (solved?)
Page 1 of 1