Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car)

+14
GaryDainton
pete s
webby
Johnag
harron68
Brizio
MotoScale87
Jeff Johnston
Sam
dogfish7
Tumbler75
VirusX
Geezerman
Skid
18 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car) - Page 8 Empty Re: 1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car)

Post by Geezerman Mon 28 Jul 2014, 11:17 am

Skid, I think your build is superb and well able to stand on it's own without a stale looking figurine that will only phony it up. In all of my modeling experience I have only seen 1 or 2 that looked anywhere near realistic.
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car) - Page 8 Empty Re: 1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car)

Post by RetiredMike Mon 28 Jul 2014, 3:10 pm

Looking much better, Al. If the gap is uniform on the sides, maybe careful filing of the top front hood edges will allow the radiator to move rearward slightly.

I agree with Clay to not put any comic-like characters with the car.

This Tamiya guy can possibly be painted up as a period sergeant. But, again you'll have to file off the medals and markings. Hopefully the belt bag and binolculars are add-on pieces.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Military-Model-1-16-Wehrmacht-Tank-Crewman-Figure-Scale-Hobby-36301-/271508859383?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3f373069f7#ht_3873wt_1155
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Jul 2014, 3:32 pm

Sure a good thing there are some sharp eyes here to save us Al.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Mon 28 Jul 2014, 6:00 pm

Thank all for your help on the figures.

In light of the fact that there is no proper period cop, I'm going to go with Clay and Mike and not bother with a figure at all.

Sure a good thing there are some sharp eyes here to save us Al. wrote:

Ya think?? LOL

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brizio Mon 28 Jul 2014, 7:29 pm

Looks better now.

Brizio
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Mon 28 Jul 2014, 11:51 pm

Thanks Briz.

I now have the hood pretty much sorted out, although the passenger side drop panel still needed tweaking with the steam method, to fit reasonably well.

However, when I came to fit the bottom hose.....

1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car) - Page 8 01514

.... it went pear shaped again.

1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car) - Page 8 01219

Fitting the top hose only made it worse....

1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car) - Page 8 01412

Trial fitting the top of radiator to scuttle stays, with the radiator in this position, shows them to be short by the same amount as the gap.

Body can't come forward because of the rear wheel arches and the chassis is placed perfectly in the location points on the fenders.

So now I'm going to have to scratch up top and bottom hoses or try to modify them.  

Aaaarrrggghhh!!!

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Jul 2014, 11:59 pm

Hmmmmmm.......... Big hammer?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:19 am

Get the BFH Al!  1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car) - Page 8 1792231099 

You'll get it. 1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car) - Page 8 1705482731 
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Brizio Tue 29 Jul 2014, 12:27 am

I think the easy way to fix is to do new hoses. If not leave it so, with the hood open. If nobody from this forum talks... Nobody will notice... :D

Brizio
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:15 am

Altering the hoses?, no problem for a man with your skill Al!
Is there enough straight section where it meets the top of the radiator, to allow enough to be taken off to stop it pushing the front grill forwards?.
Can't quite see from the pics. If not scratch time LOL
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:37 am

I'd rather retain the kit hoses so I can detail the clamps.

The bottom hose is a doddle to shorten at this point. (red arrow):

1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car) - Page 8 New12

However, the top hose poses a more complex problem. What angle should I cut the hose at?

90 degrees?

1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car) - Page 8 New210

Or approx 45 degrees?

1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car) - Page 8 New310

Either way, I think the metal fittings at each end will then be at the wrong angle.!!!

I only get one shot at it!!!

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Tue 29 Jul 2014, 1:34 pm

Multiple choices for sure. Could cut at 90 at hose middle, fit ends into radiator and block and fill space with round sprue and putty or filler.
Can also cut at either end add sprue and fill to end. Your skill makes any solution doable.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 29 Jul 2014, 2:10 pm

I think I'm going to cut out the section between the two red lines, Set the rad and the shortened bottom hose in position, then use a short section of silicone tube or heat shrink tube, to bridge the gap.

It will probably mean re-adjusting the angles of the ends but that should be no biggie.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Jul 2014, 3:41 pm

I was going to suggest soft rubber tubing and cut the middle section out all together.

At this scale it'll look good and more realistic if you get a little crease in it as you pull it all into shape.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave from Pleasanton Tue 29 Jul 2014, 4:14 pm

Al, I'd cut the lower hose where it mates to the radiator. It wouldn't change any of the geometry and it looks to me like it sticks out too far. As to the upper hose it doesn't appear to seat all the way in on both the engine and the radiator. I would open up the mounting holes and then see if it moves back into place enough. If not then I would drill out the radiator so that the hose slides in and you can move it back and forth to get it right. That part of the hose is actually part of the radiator so there shouldn't be a hose like connection anyway.

OBTW the ends of hose are metal and should be painted the same color as what they attach to. Green at the engine, black at the radiator. The curved part of the lower hose (between your red and yellow arrows) should be engine color
Dave from Pleasanton
Dave from Pleasanton

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Jul 2014, 4:28 pm

Two excellent fixes. I think I would go with go with the first. cut the hose part completely and then side the metal ends into a piece of tubing so you can adjust to length.

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Wed 30 Jul 2014, 2:10 pm

Looking forward to this Al, LOL, no pressure  1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car) - Page 8 1578238153 
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Jul 2014, 4:40 pm

Go for it Al.  The fact that you only get one chance and have already invested hours and hours in this project doesn't mean anything.  There's no pressure.   1/16th Ford Model A (Police Sergeant's Car) - Page 8 1578238153

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave from Pleasanton Wed 30 Jul 2014, 6:05 pm

I've got replacements if you need them Al. Ends up the hot rod pick up version comes with the 4 cylinder engine as well as the flathead.
Dave from Pleasanton
Dave from Pleasanton

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Wed 30 Jul 2014, 7:08 pm

Thanks for your confidence in me guys...... no pressure eh!!!

Thanks for kind offer Dave, hopefully I won't need to take you up on it.

I've a lot of preparation to do for my trip to see John/Bonneville, so it's going to have to take a back seat now until I get back.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8