Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tiking

PostSubject: The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0   Thu 24 Nov 2016, 10:07 am

Ok fellows. Here is my version of the desert speeder from the new Star Wars film I mentioned earlier before. As I mentioned before, the base of this speeder was a toy version that I bought for spare parts. After seeing the Jakku speeder version put on the net, I got inspired to do a similar model but, as always, I tend to go one-step-further in my builds.
Here is the toy version, compared to the the toy version, to the real model from the film. I like the version seen for a some seconds in the desert when Rey is flying through the desert on her own speeder. As you can see below the toy version isn't all that fantastic:

Now this version of Finn's speeder, above, is ok but I did not like the gun mounts. So I had to removed them. Secondly, the thickness of the bars or braces were also a concern. They did not look good to the naked eye. So I had to completely removed them by sawing them off. I opened up the engine exhaust holes at the rear and added styrene tubings over the original bracings to hide the clumpy and glossy look of the bracings.

The one from the movie, below,  is more slender in terms of the bracing work. I like that.

The netting was made of Tamiya tamiya tape. I simply used a piece of brass wire as the frame and litterally weaved the tape around and across the frame. That simple. I just love the Tamiya tapes or Scotch brand tape. As we all know that they actually make the Tamiya tapes.
I decided I wanted to make my speeder more interesing by adding some kind of equipment in the cockpit. Don't ask me what they do but since the the Jakku speeder was build by scavenging parts, then it shouldn't matter what was used or what the various parts do. Just use your imagination.
So the end results is what you see in the pics. This might not fit right with you Die-Hard Star Wars fans but just think of it as another Jakku Speeder upgrade. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by tiking on Wed 13 Dec 2017, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr Hirakawa
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0   Thu 24 Nov 2016, 10:28 am

Not my scene but I appreciate your modelling skills none the less.
Thumbs up from me!!
Back to top Go down
tiking

PostSubject: Re: The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0   Thu 24 Nov 2016, 10:30 am

I thank you regardless for taking the time to look at my builds.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0   Thu 24 Nov 2016, 11:03 am

SWEET !! Nice work, again !
I am a big fan of what I call 'imagineering', and have been known to stretch the bounds of physics myself.

Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0   Thu 24 Nov 2016, 12:06 pm

Great build that one Charles.
Back to top Go down
tiking

PostSubject: Re: The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0   Thu 24 Nov 2016, 2:20 pm

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0   Thu 24 Nov 2016, 2:57 pm

Dunno how you get the "light weathering" so perfect! Not a Star Wars fan, I still enjoy seeing well done models. One question: Did you do anything to the tape to assure it'll still stick as time passes? Did you add any adhesive to the support bars before attaching the tape?
Back to top Go down
tiking

PostSubject: Re: The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0   Thu 24 Nov 2016, 4:56 pm

harron68 wrote:
Dunno how you get the "light weathering" so perfect!  Not a Star Wars fan, I still enjoy seeing well done models.  One question:  Did you do anything to the tape to assure it'll still stick as time passes?  Did you add any adhesive to the support bars before attaching the tape?

If i remember correctly, I think I used a bit of super glue. But not everywhere? Might add a little more before adding some cargo and weathering.so although it looks complete it is not.
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0   Sat 26 Nov 2016, 9:10 pm

As a long time geek I am always amazed at your 'SF' inspired work. Beautifully crafted and as always the detailing is superb!
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0   Mon 28 Nov 2016, 1:50 pm

Thanx again! Your work is a joy, a real joy, to look at and study!
Back to top Go down
tiking

PostSubject: Re: The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0   Mon 28 Nov 2016, 3:31 pm

thank you Harron.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0   

Back to top Go down

The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Skid's Place :: Finished Works :: Miscellaneous-
Jump to: