Skid's Place

Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20
AuthorMessage
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Sat 30 Jun 2018, 5:09 pm

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, guys  

Clay - I tried annealing the guitar string because it was way too 'springy' to hold curves.  I didn't get it super red hot but just heated it until the outer wire showed a dullish red and this seemed to soften the wire enough that it would hold curves without being too soft.  Also, it took a lot of cleaning with a brass wire brush to get all the carbonization out from the outer wire coil.  Of course this also meant that I had to be careful working the guitar string because it was easily crushable.

So this week's post is all about the recently remembered exhaust system.  I cut the base plate from some styrene tube of the same diameter as the bits I used for the boiler/burner top so the curve matches.  Add the mount point for the exhaust pipe and a little ring around the base for effect.

Set up the mount points on the boiler/burner housing.

Going with the dual burned gasses/steam vent idea requires a pressure release valve.  Here's the bits in development.

The pressure release valve takes shape and the 'bypass' tube is added to the base plate between the two ports. The 'knob' starts to develop as well, simply adding some bits of half circle rod on the edge disc cut from styrene rod.

The knob after more work and the pressure release valve after I cut down some bits because it stuck out too much.

Bring on the hex nuts ...

A look at the pressure release valve with the knob in place.

The base plate gets some rivets.

Test fit of the contraption - it was at this point that I thought, "That knob needs to be bigger."

So I made a bigger knob in the same style as the first one.  Not being one to waste unnecessarily I decided to add a plate on the other side of the boiler/burner and mount the smaller knob there - for what purpose I have no idea but it should look okay.  More on this extra bit to come.

We end this post with a test fit of the exhaust pipe.  This is made from 3 mm copper tube which was soft enough that it didn't need annealing which I prefer.  I used the typical spiral spring tube bender and some nylon headed pliers to assist with the tight curve.  This is just the rough first hack, the exhaust pipe will be tweaked and refined a bit more.  Also, I used 'Blu-Tac' to secure the rear part to the frame for an idea of the mounting point, the 'frame mount clamp' is still to come.

The progress on the exhaust is a morale boost - I had expected more heartache and anguish in my pessimistic moments.  Since I took the last photo I've since cleaned up the exhaust pipe and added a slight flare to the open end and started on the frame mount clamp set up.

I must admit that the Console is kind of breaking my brain but only because I haven't started actively working on it.  I hope that once I get started it will fall into place.  At least the gauge leads will be easy enough, they just have to disappear between and under the tanks in roughly the correct positions.

The frame stand is the next bit awaiting my attention.  I got a start on it and then left it to allow the sub-conscious to chew on the options.  

The wrapping detail stuff has been collected into a catch all category I'm calling 'Dressage' for fun.  Sort of like the addition of stuff like a properly folded hankie and a flower in the lapel button of a formal suit, lol.

Nothing exceeds like excess ...
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Sat 30 Jun 2018, 9:21 pm

Wonderful Kats. Cant wait to see the exhaust assembly, the tail pipe should be a real feature.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Sun 01 Jul 2018, 10:48 am

Kool ! Knobs are great. Seems fitting that there would be an assortment of knobs on any steam contraption !

Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Sat 07 Jul 2018, 11:09 pm

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, guys  

In the realm of bits and pieces one can get focused on the little bits and forget to take photos.  Here's the exhaust pipe mount/clamp/thing after the majority of the work was done.  One side will be affixed to the frame which will make painting it interesting.

And pretty much done.

Attached to the frame - not yet sure of if I will be adding some additional 'clamp' detail to the frame member itself.

Test fit of the set up - and a sigh of relief when I didn't have to tweak everything for proper alignment.  It's always nice when being obsessively fiddly in advance works out.  The copper tube is going to be blackened (with Jax brand stuff) - more photos on this later.

The plate for the redundant knob for the other side of the boiler/burner gets worked on.  Still haven't thought of a plausible reason for it but what the heck, it'll add to the detail density.

The first, smaller knob and the plate with rivet heads affixed.

Two views of the set up test fit.  I'm going to have to do another assembly test to see if this is even viable - you might not be able to reach it behind whatever else is in the area, lol.

The centre stand gets legs.  I got a little paranoid here and drilled holes for 20 gauge brass pins to reinforce, glued with a liberal amount of MEK to insure the styrene melted real good then reinforced that with thin CA after it had cured for a day.

Now the feet and some detail/reinforcement stuff.

Adjustments, shaping and details - still a ways to go but the basic idea is forming.  And, yeah, I started this with no clear idea of what I wanted it to look like, lol.

And while all of the above was going on I was, well, basically pickling brass and copper bits.  The plumbing bits aren't that photo worthy but the fender scrollwork has taken days and isn't yet done at this point.  But I'm pleased at how it's gone so far, bearing in mind that these bits are shiny brass wire.

The stuff I use to blacken the brass and copper is Jax, previously mentioned in relation to the exhaust pipe.  I was introduced to the stuff when I was working on the tall ship rescue and I find it easy to use but it requires patience, like days worth.  I've also noticed that not only does this process darken the metal but it makes paint adhere to it better, I've painted blackened brass wire matte white and bent it and the paint held. Of course I'm only doing this because I bought a big bottle of the stuff years ago and still haven't used half of it yet, lol.

I plan to assemble a bunch of this stuff for the purpose of taking photos, perhaps next week's post will include those.  

Starting to feel like I'm almost at the top of a mountain ... but it's only the First one, lol.  With bits and pieces still needing to be done but semi-thought out the sub-conscious is now beginning to develop pre-formed anxieties for the painting process.  I'm trying to keep this kind of thing in check, nothing stalls me faster than anticipation anxiety.  Well, other than being distracted by life ...

Back to top Go down
disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Sun 08 Jul 2018, 7:53 am

So very cool.... I love the work you have done on it...!
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Sun 08 Jul 2018, 8:50 am

I've been missing keeping up to date with lots on the site and this build in particular, so I am absolutlely stunned, not only at your progress and detail but at your ability to stay focused on such a long and complex build.

Please tell me that you are going to enter this in many competitions........ the modelling world deserves to see this in the flesh.

My hat is off to you Kats, you deserve an award of the highest accolade for this.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.com
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Sun 08 Jul 2018, 9:43 am

Loving all this craftsmanship and attention to detail, and, not the least, the entire concept !!!

Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Sun 08 Jul 2018, 11:27 am

More fantastic work Kats.
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Yesterday at 1:40 am

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, fellows  

Al - I'm not much of a traveller so venturing outwards for competitions isn't likely but our local IPMS chapter has an annual contest and I do plan to join and take part at some point, once it's been built that is.  Plus the one LHS I frequent displays works from their staff and customers, that's another option for public display of the Steamcycle.

This week's post is all about the centre stand.  Here's a test fit, after some more detailing, with the final drive belt tensioner while I was checking clearances and such.  Even though I plan to have it in the down position for the finished build I wanted to insure that it was built viably, which is to say it wouldn't interfere with anything in the up position.

The foot lever starts taking shape.  I had considered something simple, like a straight rod, but some of the centre stands I saw while researching had foot levers which were more involved and their appearance appealed to me.

And again with the final drive belt tensioner to check clearances.

The 'core' of the foot lever with pad affixed in place.  Though it will be glued to the stand leg once done at this point it's kept in place with a peg of brass wire for ease of attachment and separation.

The 'stoppers' set up on the frame.  I'd considered making these look more heavy and/or attached with clamps and all that but in the end I chose the route of making them look like part of the frame member moulding.  It was just easier that way, lol.

The additional bracing for the foot lever starts and the post sticking out from the stand left leg is obscured but it is the part which hits the stoppers emplaced on the frame.  Also, on the right side you can see the mount point for the spring worked onto the 'bracket' which the exhaust pipe mount is attached.

Additional brace in place - test fit in the up position with the tensioner once again.

And the down position appearance.

The foot lever for the centre stand is more or less done.  Still a bit of clean up and such but the basics are all there.

The stand spring test fit.  Instead of using a real spring I coiled thin copper wire around a thin drill bit of the correct diameter then worked out the details in the up position.  Once I had that set I worked out how much I needed to stretch it for the down position - by using plain wire I could simply stretch the coil and not have it spring back, lol.  Doing it this way allows the 'stretched' spring to look like an actual spring would without having to fight the constant strain.

I'm very pleased with how uneventful this part of the build has been.  Some setbacks and re-do's but generally smooth and non-trauma inducing.  

Next comes the Console.  I have a feeling I'm going to get a bit 'stupid' with it, beyond the dial detail that is.  But what form that stupidity will take is still morphing from the aether ...

Then comes the various forms of wrapping, for pipes and handles, and the belts and some other bits and then the adventure of painting can begin.

Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Yesterday at 8:54 am

As usual I'm gobsmacked by you work and attention to detail Kats.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.com
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Yesterday at 12:02 pm

Gobsmacked works for me also.
This is fantastic !

Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Yesterday at 1:03 pm

Maintaining incredible attention to detail, ditto the above comments.
Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Yesterday at 3:14 pm

Hard to find words as usual Kats. Superlative is all that comes to mind. I really hope you take this to at least one show, just to share this awesome build with more people. I can't wait to see this painted.

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)
Page 20 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20