Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Airbrush??

+3
beowulf
harron68
A5h
7 posters

Go down

Airbrush?? Empty Airbrush??

Post by A5h Sun 30 Aug 2015, 12:49 pm

Hi guys,

I have plans to get myself a decent airbrush I the next couple of weeks, I currently own 3 cheapo ones which came with my compressor when I got that but well, I want something better.

I haven't got a clue which makes are good and which are not nor do I know which are the better versions gravity fed or the others.

Help and advice will be very much appreciated and my budget will be about £100 maybe a bit more of its worth it.

Thanks people
Ash
A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Airbrush?? Empty Re: Airbrush??

Post by harron68 Sun 30 Aug 2015, 1:38 pm

That issue comes up on most of the model forums, but I can't find any here.  Maybe they go back to pre-Skid days.  Here's my take on them: if you have a number of "cheapies" you are familiar with using them.  If you haven't used double action, the kind where the "trigger" moves both up and down and forward and back, they offer greater control of the paint.  Many pros use them and they are tops when you get experienced.  If you have used and liked them, check out better ones.
    There is the downside of greater work in cleaning internal mix double action ones.  Single action external mix airbrushes, the kind that connect to a paint cup (usually mounted one the side of the brush at front) are way easy to clean, but are a bit limited compared to double action.  The single action ones seem totally adequate and are cheaper. 
    There are numerous tests and comparisons on You Tube.  Dr. Cranky, a big Y.T. model man, luvs his Iwatas, and others have their faves.  After finding the one that's most comfortable for you, why not stay with it?  Others here can offer more specific advice as to brands, from cheap to pricey.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Aug 2015, 2:15 pm

I dont own a modern day air brush so can't offer advice i'm afraid ... 25 years ago maybe, but the technology has improved so much now i'm as lost as you lol

But .... everytime there's a discussion on airbrushes on other forums i've browsed the Iwata product comes up again and again as a good buy ... i think the prices ranges from about 50 quid and up so you will probably find one to suit your budget Ash.

Limited info for you from me... but it seems relevant and hope it helps a bit mate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Aug 2015, 3:36 pm

I'm definitely not a master with an airbrush, I have a couple of cheepies that just sit in the drawer because they are useless. I read in one of the model magazines a while back that John Terressi pretty much uses a single action Paashe for his models. Keep in mind, when John shows up at a contest you can be sure you are seeing the guy that will take a large number of the awards.

Personally I use the Paashe single action for large areas such as bodies. For detail painting I use an Iwata double action for my detail painting. Both are reasonably priced and very dependable. Also both are very easy to keep clean.

Speaking of cleaning, a while back I bought a low priced ultrasonic cleaner off of Amazon. Seems to me I paid less than $35 for it. When you need to do a deep cleaning just break down the brush, put it is the appropriate cleaner and hit the button for 480 seconds. The brush will come out looking like new. If the brush is REALLY dirty you might have to do some manual cleaning, but that is really rare.

Hope this helps.

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Sun 30 Aug 2015, 3:55 pm

for a start dont bother buying a iwata neo!!

if you are after a 'traditional' airbrush you cant go wrong with a proper iwata or maybe a badger

ive heard good things about Harder and Steenbeck, supposed to be high quality and if i ever go back to one of that design i intend on trying one

im biased though, ive had lots of bad luck with airbrushes in the past and went for an Aztek just to try something different......and it is really different to a traditional one......and im getting on better with it than any other ab ive ever had....dont get me wrong, it still has its little glitches like anything, but i just find it easier to sort out.......reading reviews some people swear by them, others swear at them!!...very much a marmite type of thing.....love it or hate it

best advice tho.....what ever you get, look after it, take care of it, dont abuse it and it will last
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 30 Aug 2015, 4:11 pm

As you may have gathered by now Colin, there are nearly as many answers to your question as there are AB users. LOL

For my own part, I NEVER could get the hang of syphon type AB's. Just could not get the paint to flow right. As soon as I switched to an overhead cup, BINGO!!!

For the last seven years I have used an Iwata Revolution CR. It is VERY easy to strip down and clean. Fast too.... it now takes me just 90 seconds (literaly) to strip, clean, re-assemble and spray a little clean thinners through it. Consequently, I clean it between EVERY colour.

They also come with a ten year warranty.

If you decide on this one, they can be bought brand new in the UK for under £100.00 with free shipping from here

They are good people to deal with too and stock all the spares.

If you need any more help, let me know.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Sun 30 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm

For many years, I have been using Paasche airbrushes. I mostly use my single action, but bring out the double action when I need to fade the paint in. I use nothing but an airbrush .... No cans for me.

An airbrush also opens up the world for paint and colors. Paints from the automotive world, fingernail paints, Paints from Scale Finishes, base coat paints, two part urethane clears ..... All this is available with an airbrush!!

A good spray booth is also a must, to keep dust and nasty fumes away. I made my own out of clear plexiglas from plans on the Internet. Works great, and was reasonable in cost. The most expensive item was the "explosion proof" fan. It is also important to get a respirator when using nasty paints such as urethanes!

The airbrush allows for such control on where the paint goes, and with proper air pressure. I gave up on a compressor a couple of years ago, and switched over to CO2 bottles. This allows for more accurate pressure control, plus there are no worries about moisture as the CO2 is dry. This was important for me in the Pacific Northwest.

It will take some practice and experimentation, but that is part of the learning curve and challenge. It makes it fun! Good luck.
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Aug 2015, 4:49 pm

I agree with Pete on both the need for a spray booth and using CO2 as a source of air. I have a commercial booth made by Artograph. The booth works well, BUT, their customer service sucks. I would not recommend them because of this.

I converted to CO2 about 18 months ago. It's great. It's quiet, consistent and relatively inexpensive. I bought all the hardware for approximately $100. I leased the tank from a local welding supply for I believe about $50. When I fill the tank the cost is $29. In 18 months I have filled the tank three times. It would only have been two times if I hadn't left the !!@#$^%&&*^( valve open for several days when I wasn't using it.

For what it is worth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 30 Aug 2015, 5:46 pm

After I saw your Co2 set up John, I looked into it over here. Trouble is the running costs over here works out at about £200.00 per year.

If anyone in the UK knows different, I'd be mighty pleased to hear about it as otherwise I was very impressed with Johns set up.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnag Sun 30 Aug 2015, 6:28 pm

Skid wrote:If you decide on this one, they can be bought brand new in the UK for under £100.00 with free shipping from here

They are good people to deal with too and stock all the spares.

If you need any more help, let me know.

I've used them too Al, although not through their e-bay shop, I tend to just use their main site...: - Hollywood Trade Ltd

Another good store is here...: - Everything Airbrush

They are both good and will always help if you need it...

Andy...

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain...
Johnag
Johnag

http://www.veterans-uk.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Aug 2015, 6:33 pm

Al, when i ran a section 1 rated air rifle i varied the refilling between o2 and co2 (power vs consistency)

The co2 bottle came from a sale from the refit of a ship at the docks, £30 i think with ticket on it for just under two years, it was 50ltr

the 30ltr co2 bottle that i used for o2 came from a local pub, paid a fiver for it without a ticket and i had a ticket put on it for a tenner i think, they're only used for low pressure in pubs so are not stressed to buggery and virtually as new.

I always had the co2 bottle filled at the local paintball club, as long as it's UK reg and in ticket they'll do it, it used to cost £15 to fill it ... often you can specify the bar/psi you need it filling to and as long as it doesn't exceed the bottles stated maximum .. bobs your uncle.

I used to rag these bottles filling the rifle up with 3500 - 4000 psi a couple of times a week and i'll bet i never spent any where near half what you have been estimated.

Back to top Go down

Post by A5h Sun 30 Aug 2015, 7:09 pm

Well guys thanks for your input, unfortunately I'm not really any wiser on the old subject lol
A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 30 Aug 2015, 7:19 pm

Thanks for the info Colin.

Going to pursue that way!

Ta!

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Aug 2015, 7:41 pm

Little thing known as too much information! Airbrush?? 3887228019 Airbrush?? 3887228019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:07 pm

The first airbrush I bought was a Testor's. little plastic thing that you had to hook to their propellant can. JUNK. I think the idea behind it was to sell propellant. Then I got a Badger 175. it's double action airbrush and works like a champ. I still can't do the fancy fine mist shading and stuff like that but for spraying decanted paint or bottled paint or nail polish it is perfect. Easy to take apart and clean.Easy to adjust the spray pattern. For a compressor I got a 3 gallon setup from Sears, on sale for 90 bucks. I can pump up the tank and it holds enough air to paint a model. Came with a pressure adjustment and water trap built in. I believe that an airbrush is like any other tool. Just get a good brand name and start to use it, when your skills improve to the point it no longer works for you replace it. By then you will know what is good and bad and what you are looking for in a replacement.

Back to top Go down

Post by A5h Sun 30 Aug 2015, 9:07 pm

Thanks Buck that sounds like good advice.

Al I just lost out on an iwata something or other on eBay, went for £57
A5h
A5h
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryDainton Sun 30 Aug 2015, 9:31 pm

I have a Harder and Steenbeck Infinity and love it, but I have no doubt that all the 'high end' makes will be good. I agree with Al and would only use a gravity fed airbrush with a cup. Its a very subjective topic though, and you'll find lots of different and contradicting opinions. Id just go with a well known brand and get the best you can afford, but thats my philosophy with everything I buy LOL.
GaryDainton
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Sun 30 Aug 2015, 11:30 pm

I have to laugh, I too began with a very cheap airbrush and a small can of air.  It was a hassle, but I was lucky to guess on paint mixes and after years of using rattle cans I got wonderful results.  I found one at a garage sale many years later and bought it as a memento of my early airbrush days.
   I again remind you to check You Tube for air brush tests.  Dr. Cranky did a whole series on using his double action Iwata.
   Re: compressors, here in the U.S. small electric air compressors with small air tanks have gotten very inexpensive .  There are also very small ones without tanks that are also reasonable.  Regardless of air choice, one needs 2 more things within the air line, a dial pressure regulator and moisture trap.  They are fairly reasonable in cost and sometimes are sold together.  Best of luck, take your time in selecting.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down