Skid's Place

Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Empty
PostSubject: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeFri 01 Mar 2013, 5:05 am

This was the very first Community Buuild at Zbuckster's Model Cars. The theme was build any 1937 Ford. It was picked by my friend John in Austrailia. John ran Nagasaki Resin and made soem oputstanding resin parts. So I used as many Nagasaki Resin parts on this as I could.

John Nessbit as since passed away but i think of him often.

I saw a 1939 Willys Slant Back that inspired me to try this build. It will be Pro Street. The rear tires, front tires, rear end and the engine will be from Nagasaki Resin. The engine is a Small block Ford, 351 I think, with a Tremec 6 speed transmission. The color will be House of Kolor Candy Tangerine. I have be waiting to paint something that color so this is it. I haven't decided what the undercoat will be. I was thinking about some White Pearl fingernail polish, just not sure. The interior colors are still up in the air but I am thinking Tans or Grays.

This is the kit I will be using.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7211
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeFri 01 Mar 2013, 5:27 am

OK guys and gals. I am off and running.

I am kinda excited about his community build. It is the first one I have done in a long, long time. I started with the Revell 1937 Ford Sedan kit. I also have a bunch of Nagasaki Resin parts that I want to try and use on this car. The wheels and tires, engine, transmission, Ford 9" rear end and some small do dah parts are all from Nagasaki Resin.

So I started with the wheels and tires. The rear tires looked huge to me. I was thinking no way can I put these under this car. So I measured them up and they scale out at 32.5 inches tall and 19.25 inches wide. Those are real numbers so I got after it. I started with the wheels. I opened the resin windows up.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7310

These 2 pictures will give you an idea of how big they are. The other wheels and tires are the Mickey Thompson Tires from the Revell 41 Willys street rod kit.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7311

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7313

I needed a donor kit for a back half. I took and old Revell 41 Willys that was build and took it apart. This will give me a back half and the 4 link brackets and rods to mount the Nagasaki Resins Ford 9". I also hoped to cut the floor pan and use the tubs.

Here is the back half.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7314

This shows how well it lines up with the 1937 Sedan frame.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7315

When I get to the point that I can cut them both they will be drilled and pinned with straight pins for strength.

So I started with the floor pan and making tubs. I have to have that done before I can cut and graft the frame half's together. I have never done this to a model but have back halved 7 cars in my day so I am going to approach this the same way. First a little measuring and fore thought.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7316

Then out comes the cutting torch.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7317

Then I cut the tubs from the Willys floor boards and smoothed them up a little bit.

Here is a half way done shot to show you what I am talking about.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7318

The wheel wells on the 37 fenders aren't round they are kinda elongated. I cut the tub half way off the floor pan and added a wedge to give it a shape close to the Ford fenders.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7319

This gets things close enough that I can MEK everything together.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7410

This lets me see if it will all fit.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7320

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7411

Now that I have the back half this far I can finish it up and permanently weld it in place. Once the MEK sets I can sand, fill, sand and smooth this part. I want to make sure the body still fits. I want this to be a bumper-less car. Once I get the back done I will move on to the front.

Thanks for looking in all questions and comments are welcome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeFri 01 Mar 2013, 5:42 am

OK Time for an update. Thanks for all the comments and kind words. They really do make it all more fun.

Since the last update I have been busy working on this build but it doesn't seem like I got much done. I guess because I have been experimenting again. I wanted to try putting House of Kolor Kandy Paint over Mother of Pearl nail polish. So I bought what I thought was White Mother of Pearl polish, mixed it 50/50 with House of Kolor 311 thinner. Primer-ed a Christine body and had at it. Well it turned out the nail polish I had bought was a clear (looks white in the bottle) So I ended up with a great shiny green mother of pearl primer. ::) :o >:(
So I thought I'll just mix in some HOK paint and tint the clear. So I had 1/2 ounce nail polish, 1/2 ounce thinner and one ounce of HOK Candy Tangerine. I sprayed the donor with HOK Gold Metallic under base and then shot the paint. It turn out looking like this.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7412[/ur]

I know you guys are thinking "another orange car!!!!!!!!!!!!" I can't explain it. Van Gogh had his blue period and I am stuck in my Orange one. I do think it turned out pretty nice. There is no clear on that body yet. It is right out of the booth. And that really doesn't mean it will be that color, just an experiment.

So on we go. I wanted to work out the back seat or whatever I was going to do back there because of the tubs. With a little cutting and adjusting, I got the rear seat to fit like this.

[url=https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=295&u=18126742]1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7413

I think I am going to call it good. Looking back through the firewall you can't really tell the seat has been cut and raised.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7414

So now all that is worked out. I wanted to try to do a mock up and see how the Nagasaki Resin 351 Ford engine would fit. Also wanted to check for hood clearance. I have to put some type of induction system together and needed to know how much room I had. SO here is that stuff. The engine first.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7415

I painted the block Gold because I figured no matter what color the body is it will work. Tons of room. Iam thinking this one might get a blower.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7416

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7417

Here is the first body mock up.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7418

Now that we know that much time to back half the frame.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7419

Here is the frame out of the car. I will drill and pin it once I know it's right.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7420

Are you as curious as I am about how it's going to look from the back? Well people it's steamroller time.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7421

So That's where we are. I was cleaning my air brush and forgot to take the air valve out before I put it in lacquer thinner. So that's all doinked up. Got a new one on order. Ran out of MEK but have some ordered from a local hardware store. That way I don't have to pay the freight on the hazardous waste. Plus it's only 10.98 a quart. You can buy MEK from Ace Hardware on Line but it's 15 bucks a quart and the shipping is 48.00 because of the hazardous waste. That's probably something you guys in a larger market don't have to worry about.

Anyway while I am waiting for that stuff to get here I will do what I can on other areas of the car. I am thinking I will have to thin those rear tire just a touch. .060 at the most on each tire.

Thanks for looking in all questions and comments are welcome. See ya soon.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeFri 01 Mar 2013, 6:11 am

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments all are welcome.

I kinda like this format. It's the first time I have done a community build with all the build OTB's going in one thread. It does make it easy to follow along and jump in at any time.

I spent Sunday working on the back half of this car. Some of the problems I had to over come were project related and then I created a couple also. So here's an update. I had a friend over and he ask me how do you know that all your measurements start and end in the same place. I have never told that part of how I back half a car so I will do it now.

Before the original frame is ever cut or marked. I use a .025" drill bit and straight pins to pin the chassis to the floor pan. That way it is removable and I know when It's together all measurements are accurate. Or at least accurate enough.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7510

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7511

This way of doing it leaves such a small hole that it will never be seen on the finished build and if you want you can incorporate the pins into the build. Doesn't matter.

The other thing I do to make it all stronger is double pin the frame rails on both sides. Again with a .025" drill bit and straight pins. I drill through everything until the drill bit is about .250" into the main frame. Super glue the pins in place.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7423

Then using a Dremel and a fine stone I trim the pins even with the frame. Paint primer and paint will take care of the rest.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7424

So that keeps everything in place and makes it plenty strong.

Here is the frame pinned in place with the narrowed tires in the tubs. We have more room now to get the wheel and tire where they should be.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7425

So now I had to come up with away to mount the rear coil overs (easiest way to do a back half.) and I wanted to be able to adjust the ride height. Using The Nagasaki Resin Ford 9" rear end and the 4-link from the Willys coupe donor was a natural.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7426

So while eyeballing it all this and trying to figure it out. I dropped the rear end. I should have let it hit the floor and then picked it up, but no, I used my best Seahawks move to not only miss the rear end as it fell but to step on it after it hit the floor. That snap the axle tube off one side. What now I thought. So I drilled and pinned it, but didn't get it right. So I drilled all the way through the center section and put a piece of .125" styrene tube all the way through it. By making the tube longer than I needed it let me slide the center section into the center of the drive shaft tunnel in the floor pan. Plus the 4-link bars still worked.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7427

Now I needed away to anchor it all down. I drilled the back of the 4-link bars with a .022 drill bit and used 22 guage craft wire to make a L shaped bracket. Then using .062 aluminum tubing I drilled the frame and added what will become the shocks. How I could move the differential all around to get it where I wanted it. Plus I could shorten the tubing to set the ride height.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7428

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7512

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7513

This is the final ride height for the rear now.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7514

I am going to work out the front half now. Then I can set the final ride height. I am pretty sure that the rear will stay here. I have about .080" that I can still move the axle up if need be.

So That's my tale of woe and then good fortune for the week end. See ya soon with a front half update. All comments and questions are welcome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeFri 01 Mar 2013, 6:15 am

Max, I use Bondo from Walmart as one of my many fillers. I really think the best is to make it yourself. Use MEK ( you can get it at Ace Hardware Stores, about 12 bucks a quart) Then pour some into a glass jar and add styrene chunks pretty soon the MEK will melt the styrene. Then when you have a putty put it on. Not only does it give you a styrene filler, there are no ghost lines, and the primer will work the same on the whole paint job. MEK stand for "methyl ethyl ketone". It is a super solvent and adhesive. Be careful of the fumes they will get ya. The other tip is don't let it set around open It evaporates rapidly.

METHYL ETHYL KETONE
Methyl ethyl ketone is a federal hazardous air pollutant and was identified as a toxic air contaminant in April 1993 under AB 2728.

CAS Registry Number: 78-93-3

Structure: C2H5COCH3

Molecular Formula: C4H8O

Description
Methyl ethyl ketone is a flammable, colorless liquid with an acetone-like, sweet, pungent odor. It is soluble in four parts water and miscible with alcohol, ether, acetone, and benzene. It is lighter than water and may be expected to float while rapidly dissolving (HSDB, 1991).

Physical Properties of Methyl Ethyl Ketone

Molecular Weight 72.10
Boiling Point 79.6 oC
Melting Point -86.35 oC
Flash Point: -6 oC (21 oF) (closed cup)
Vapor Pressure 90.6 mm Hg at 25 oC
Vapor Density 2.41 (air = 1)
Density/Specific Gravity 0.805 at -20/4 oC (water = 1)
Log/Octanol Partition Coefficient 0.29
Henry's Law Constant 1.05 x 10-5 atm-m3/mole
Conversion Factor 1 ppm = 2.95 mg/m3

(HSDB, 1991; Merck, 1989; Sax, 1989; U.S. EPA, 1994a)

SOURCES AND EMISSIONS
A. Sources
Methyl ethyl ketone is used as a solvent for lacquers, adhesives, rubber cement, printing inks, and paint removers, in cleaning solutions, as a catalyst, and as a carrier. Cigarette smoke and gasoline exhaust are also sources of methyl ethyl ketone. Methyl ethyl ketone has been detected or quantified in motor vehicle exhaust by the Air Resources Board (ARB) (ARB, 1995e).

The primary stationary sources that have reported emissions of methyl ethyl ketone in California are millwork, veneer, and plywood manufacturers, manufacturers of wood furniture, and manufacturers of rubber and plastic footwear (ARB, 1997b).

B. Emissions
The total emissions of methyl ethyl ketone from stationary sources in California are estimated to be at least 290,000 pounds per year, based on data reported under the Air Toxics "Hot Spots" Program (AB 2588) (ARB, 1997b).

C. Natural Occurrence
Methyl ethyl ketone occurs naturally in volcanos, forest fires, products of biological degradation, and is a natural component of food (Howard, 1990).

AMBIENT CONCENTRATIONS
Methyl ethyl ketone is routinely monitored by the Air Resources Board statewide air toxics network. The network's mean concentration of methyl ethyl ketone from January 1996 to December 1996 is estimated to be 0.32 micrograms per cubic meter (µg/m3) or 0.11 parts per billion (ppb) (ARB, 1997c).

The United States Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) has also compiled ambient concentration data for methyl ethyl ketone from several locations throughout the United States from 1972-87. A mean ambient concentration of 1.4 µg/m3 (0.47 ppb) was derived from these data (U.S. EPA, 1993a).

INDOOR SOURCES AND CONCENTRATIONS
No information about the indoor sources and concentrations of methyl ethyl ketone was found in the readily-available literature.

ATMOSPHERIC PERSISTENCE
If released to the atmosphere, methyl ethyl ketone will exist primarily in the gas phase. The dominant tropospheric loss process of methyl ethyl ketone appears to be reaction with the hydroxyl (OH) radical, with photolysis being unimportant. The calculated half-life and lifetime of methyl ethyl ketone due to reaction with the OH radical are 9 days and 13 days, respectively. The products of the OH radical reaction are acetaldehyde, formaldehyde and, in the presence of nitrogen dioxide (NO2), peroxyacetyl nitrate (PAN) (Atkinson, 1994).

AB 2588 RISK ASSESSMENT INFORMATION
Although methyl ethyl ketone is reported as being emitted in California from stationary sources no health values (cancer or non-cancer) are listed in the California Air Pollution Control Officers Association Air Toxics "Hot Spots" Program Revised 1992 Risk Assessment Guidelines for use in risk assessments (CAPCOA, 1993).

HEALTH EFFECTS
Probable routes of human exposure to methyl ethyl ketone are inhalation, ingestion, and dermal contact (Sittig, 1991).

Non-Cancer: Exposure to methyl ethyl ketone vapors can cause eyes, nose, throat, and respiratory tract irritation. Methyl ethyl ketone is a central nervous system depressant. Methyl ethyl ketone enhances the neurotoxicity of n-hexane (U.S. EPA, 1994a).

The U.S. EPA has established a Reference Concentration (RfC) of 1.0 milligram per cubic meter for methyl ethyl ketone, based on decreased fetal birth weight in mice. The U.S. EPA estimates that inhalation of this concentration or less, over a lifetime, would not likely result in the occurrence of chronic, non-cancer effects. The U.S. EPA has established an oral Reference Dose (RfD) for methyl ethyl ketone of 0.6 milligrams per kilogram per day, based on decreased fetal birth weights in rats. The U.S. EPA estimates that consumption of this dose or less, over a lifetime, would not likely result in the occurrence of chronic, non-cancer effects (U.S. EPA, 1994a).

No information was located on adverse reproductive effects of methyl ethyl ketone in humans. Retardation of fetal development and fetal malformations were reported in mice exposed to methyl ethyl ketone by inhalation (U.S. EPA, 1994a).

Cancer: No information is available regarding carcinogenic effects in humans from exposure to methyl ethyl ketone. The U.S. EPA has placed methyl ethyl ketone in Group D: Not classifiable as a carcinogen, based on lack of data in humans and animals (U.S. EPA, 1994a). The International Agency for Research on Cancer has not classified methyl ethyl ketone for carcinogenicity (IARC, 1987a).

If you are interested in going that way call some local hardware stores and ask. It is used working with PCV Plumbing pipe quite a bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeFri 01 Mar 2013, 6:28 am

OK I am back again. I am looking over the other builds in this Community project and thinking "Man , I am glad we did this." There are some outstanding looking builds going on.

I want to thank everyone that is following along and commenting on the builds and want to encourage everyone to join it. It's all just for fun anyway so what have you got to loose.

When I stopped last time I had the back half of th car worked out, so now it's on to the front. We need to set the ride height and the width of the front wheels and tires. Having learned my lesson on the back I used some styrene tubing to make the front spindles. I made them longer than I knew I would need so they can be trimmed down.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7515

I put the front suspension together with some MEK so that I could see how things are going to go.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7516

After everything had set and I could flip it over it looked like this.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7517

I am gonna tell you up front that is not the stance I was looking for. I wanted everything to be lower. But the 4-link bars are right up against the floorpan now so that's it. I just don't want to re tub it. When it is put together I think I will switch the front spindles side for side. This will let it come down a littler bit more in the front. Maybe 3/32 (.096") or so. That's gonna be it. The ideas is to build a street legal Pro Street car so I want it to be at a ride height that will keep it from scraping the high spots in the road. I hope this ramble makes sense.

Here is a picture of the roller.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7518

Now I have to find out where the engine is going to sit. So another mock up. The engine sits to far forward to be able to get drive pulleys and belts on it.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7519

So I removed the mount part of the cross member. That is .089 thick. That's 2.225 inches in scale.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7520

That moves the engine backward just enough. It still clears the firewall and we have tons of space up front.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7521

With all that done I sent the frame out to be power coated ;D. It came back ready to go.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7522

So now it's time to hang the suspension on the front of this bad boy and get the rear painted and on the frame. I also have to come up with some kind of intake system for the engine. As much room as there is between the block and the pancake hood It may be a blower. Still not sure about that.

Thanks for looking in. All comments and questions are welcome. See ya in a couple days with more.
Back to top Go down
JohnJ
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeFri 01 Mar 2013, 10:13 am

Fantastic build Buck. I really appreciate the extreme detail you describe. It will help me with my skills when cutting styrene. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

"My second childhood is so much more fun than my first."
Back to top Go down
Brizio
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeFri 01 Mar 2013, 3:01 pm

Looks great Buck!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeFri 01 Mar 2013, 5:47 pm

Thanks guys. I have to things to do around the house today but hope to have this build published here by bedtime.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Geezerman

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeFri 01 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

Way interesting, Buck !
I like to watch Revell's engineers getting upstaged.
Nice work !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeSun 03 Mar 2013, 5:39 am

Well it's been awhile since the last update. I thought I would bring this one up to date. When we left off the frame was done and painted. Since then I have the front suspension on the frame and have resolved some of the other issues I had going.

This one will show you how I flipped the spindles to go a little lower. I also drilled and pined the control arms to the spindle using straight pins.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7523

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7524

With that all done I went to the back half. These two pictures will show you the 4-link setup. The springs are some more shift kit springs from a Ford Transmission. I painted them with Dulpi-color Anodized Blue over a silver base. I wish I had used a gold base but I am not changing it now.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7526

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7527

With all that done it was time for another mock up. I wanted to check the stance and see where it sat. Here is how it looks.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7528

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7529

Some this brings us to the engine. The engine I am using is from Nagasaki Resin. It's a 351 Ford with a Tremec 6 speed. The detail on it is great. I needed to come up with an intake system for it. I was thinking about a blower but changed my mind. I couldn't find a 351 Ford intake but I did find a Small Block Chevy Tunnel Ram. The manifold was to long so I filed the back off to shorten it. This got rid of the hole for the distributor. Then found a Holley 4 barrel and a Velocity Stack. I am thinking this is how I will go.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7530

One of the reasons I liked this setup is the hood clearance is just right.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7531

So that's where we are at. Now I can finish the engine and detail it a little. Not much just spark plug wires and looms. I don't know I might add some craft beads and fuel line in the engine bay but I won't do the whole system.

Thanks for looking in all questions and comments are welcome. See ya soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeSun 03 Mar 2013, 6:01 am

I want to start by thanking all those that are following along. It really makes it feel like a community build and the comments and questions are always welcome.

OK to start with I have not given up on this despite rumors on the street. I finally got the right air valve for my airbrush so I am back in business.

I have the body and interior in color. Here's the rest of the story. I found some finger nail polish at the dollar store that was a nice looking shade of gold. I thought "I will get some of that and paint the 37 that shade of gold." So I bought 4 bottles and called it good. I mixed it 50/50 with House of Kolor R-311 thinner and laid down the first coat. Then I laid down the second coat, just a little thicker. It was now starting to take on a goldish hue. So I did 2 more coats. Still not what I had in mind. So I thought I would put some House of Kolor Kandy Tangerine on top of it. One light coat and 2 heavier coats I called it good. I don't know what to call it but it is a super looking color. My buddy called it "Candy Rust". Here are a couple pictures to see for yourself.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7611

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7612

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7613

To tell the truth I like it. The finger nail polish didn't have a name just a number. L.A. Nails BCC570. I wish I had taken a couple pictures of it but wasn't thinking about anything except That won't work, hide it!!!!!!!!!!!

Wheels and tires are done. I don't think I will do the lettering in white. It just wouldn't look right.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7615

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7616

The interior is done in Folkart Acrylic paint. The dark color is "Cinnamon" The light color is "Linen".

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7617

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7618

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7619

Got some other dodah stuff done also. The distributor is drilled and painted waiting for wires. I wasn't sure what color they would be. The Control box is ready, steering column, dash insert all done.

Now with all that done I can move forward on this build.

Mr. Maximus these last pictures are for you.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7620

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7621

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7622

Thanks for looking in all question and comments are welcome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeSun 03 Mar 2013, 6:19 am

Hey everybody, time for an update. Thanks to everyone for following along.

I think it is all going to work out the build is nearing the end. I got the body cleared and foiled. Not much foil just around the windshield and the back window. The door handles, trunk hinges and little stuff will be chrome also. For the door locks I drilled through them with a .025" drill bit then about half way through with a .067 drill bit. This let me counter sink the head of a straight pin into the door.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7623

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7624

I already had the interior colors worked out so while I was waiting on the clear coat to setup I did some of the interior. I used FolkArt craft paint. The light color is "Linen" the dark color is "Cinnamon". Then I put a coat of dull coat on it. The flocking is "Golden Rust"

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7710

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7711

I started working out the final details on the engine. Here is the converted Small Block Chevy Tunnel Ram on the ford engine. I used craft wire (braided .015) and some beads to make up a fuel line. Then I drilled the firewall and made a fuel supply line going into it.

Here's a picture of the mock up.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7625

I made up an upper radiator hose from braided craft cord and a hex fitting from .060" styrene.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7626

I found some block hugger headers for a SMC but the fit and will be simple to run an exhaust. Also got the front and rear suspension done and the wheels and tires on it. Used a pair of NAGASAKI Resin disc brakes up front. No brakes on the rear you just wouldn't be able to see them even if they were there.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7712

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7713

With the body all cleared and cut and polished I will say this is a striking color. Here is a look at my vision of the finished build.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7627

That's about it for now. I will finish wiring the engine, plug wires and boots, and that's it. I will put it together and try to have it done by the 17th. That's the day I go to Portland to leave my builds for the Portland Roadster Show. If it's done that's OK but I really wanted to enter this one this year. If not next year. I will enter it in Model Fest.

Thanks for looking in all comments and questions are welcome.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeSun 03 Mar 2013, 6:26 am

Just so you guys will know I am still alive and working on this one. here is a small update.

I have the engine all finished and installed into the chassis. The 351 Ford Engine my Nagasaki Resin went in with no problem what so ever. As some of you eagle eyed builders will see I use Small Block Chevy block hugger headers from the kit for it. I found by doing this and a little work in the back I could use kit exhaust system That shaved hours off the build. So here is the finished chassis.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7715

Then I put the cowl and fenders on the chassis.

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7810

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street 100_7811

I painted the control box with Dulpi-color Anodized Red and added brake lines to the master cylinder. I didn't do the whole brake system. They just dead end at the frame.

That's about it for now. I will finish the body and then post an update. Probably the last until the NMA.

Thanks for looking in all comments and questions are welcome.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Geezerman

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeSun 03 Mar 2013, 12:43 pm

A lot of great looking work, Buck !
Back to top Go down
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member
Shelby

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeSun 03 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm

That's quite the build you have there Buck. Real nice work getting those massive tires in and the chassis work top notch. Great color for the body, can't wait to see the rest coming together.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeSun 03 Mar 2013, 4:18 pm

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed this build. If I had it to do over I would do the back half the same but would do te front Suspension different. Wait till the next one and you will see. :D
Back to top Go down
JohnJ
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeSun 03 Mar 2013, 7:01 pm

You are doing an amazing job Buck.

"My second childhood is so much more fun than my first."
Back to top Go down
Sam
Sam

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeMon 04 Mar 2013, 12:07 am

Love the pro-street look Buck !! All your little details really make it sharp. :cheers:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeMon 04 Mar 2013, 1:44 am

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
VirusX
VirusX

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeMon 04 Mar 2013, 3:25 pm

Just caught up with this build. What an amazing Pro-Street! You really have those MT's stuffed into the rear tubs! I really like the body color you chose. Those HOK paints are amazing. However, I must say I am not a big fan of the seat color. It seems to have a hue of brown to it that is a little off putting for me. I probably would have went with something a bit lighter, closer to a tan (Such as Tamiya's Dessert Yellow). Of course that is my opinion.

Great build up, Z!
Back to top Go down
MotoScale87
MotoScale87

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeMon 04 Mar 2013, 3:58 pm

Man this thing is mean keep it up great looking work
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeMon 04 Mar 2013, 5:30 pm

Thanks guys.

Dan I use Acrylic Craft paints for most of my interiors. They can be a bit of a bear at times. When you thin them for the airbrush they seem to lighten in color, then as they dry they darken a bit but never back to the orginial color. Sometimes it's hard to get the perfect look. Thanks for the feed back on that.
Back to top Go down
dogfish7
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member
dogfish7

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeFri 08 Mar 2013, 3:30 pm

Fantastic fab work Buck!
Back to top Go down
MotoScale87
MotoScale87

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitimeSat 09 Mar 2013, 6:08 am

Looking very very good... Keep it up man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street   1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1937 Ford Sedan Pro-Street
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next