Date Of Birth:

November 11, 1948

Place of Residence:

Aberdeen, Washington

Retired Transmission Shop Owner

Interests:

Model Cars, Drag Racing, Automotive Culture in General and Music

Philosophy for life:

Be good to everyone but don't take no crap of anyone.

zbuckster is an interesting alias. Would you care to share a little about the history behind this?

Well, that's a long answer. When I was a baby a family friend nicknamed me Buckshot. My Mother used to carry me around on a pillow and they said I was so fat I rolled around like a piece of Buckshot. Then when I moved to new school in the 5th grade there were already two Allens in my class. So I became Buck. Then later on in life there was a wrestler named Hulk Hogan, he used to sell vitamins for children on TV. "All you little Hulksters out there be sure and have a vitamin once a day." So the guys I worked with started calling me "Buckster". When I started to online model I was at a site and wanted the screen name "BucksterZ" , but it was already taken. I know what are the odds. Anyway I turned it around and became "Zbuckster". That was 2002 and I am still Zbuckster.

I know you are retired but can you share something about your working life with us please Buck?

Got out of the Army in 1968 and the first job I had was working at a Dune Buggy Factory, as a clean up boy of course. So they soon found out I was a pretty good mechanic and soon I was cutting the pans in two and welding them back together and all the mechanical stuff that needed to be done so the car could be legally sold. Then they closed and I went to work at a dealership that sold Toyota and Simca. Yes Simca, go figure. My mother had a heart attack so I moved from Georgia to Washington State to be closer to her. I went to work at a dealership that carried British Leyland, Fiat, Lancia, Ferrari, International Harvester and Kabuta Tractor. When that place closed I went into the Transmission busy as a Rebuilder for the Lee Myles Chain, then became a Technical Adviser for them. Moved to AAMCO as a rebuilder/ technical Adviser. Then I opened my own shop and stayed in the business as a shop owner until I retired in 2009. I also served on the local Community College advisory Board for 15 years. I resigned that position when I retired.

When did you build your first model and can you remember what it was?

I built my first model in 1958. I can date it because that is the year Mother and I moved from Texas to Washington State. I don't remember the first one, I built some planes and an aircraft carrier, A Viking and A Blue Knight. Then I found cars and never looked back. The first car I can remember building was the AMT 1932 Ford Model B Roadster. It had fender mount tires and all the cool stuff like a rumble seat. I may have built others first but that one I remember. Trying to find one now is like trying to find chicken lips.

What sports do you play or watch:

I drag race and watch drag racing on TV plus the Seattle Seahawks Football team.

What type of music do you favour and who are your favourite artistes?

As a music player I am best at old country. As a music listener I prefer jazz Guitar. Jack Jezzro, Francis Goya and Francisco Garcia are some of my favorite.

What are your favourite foods and drinks?

Country fried steak and Ice Tea. Don't get much better than that.

Who is your favourite author and what genre of fiction do you favour.?

James Mitchner and historical fiction.

Thinking of famous people, whom would you most like to meet (past or present) and what would you like to ask or say to them.

Wille Nelson. Two questions. How do you do it and wanta pick a bit?

Marooned on a desert island which luxury item and which essential item would you take with you and why?? (No means of
communicating with the outside world is permitted)

Guitar and a Bowie Knife.

If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be and why would you like to go there?

China, Always wanted to see the Great Wall and Qin Shi Huang Burial Tomb. Plus England. History always has held my interest and both places are rich with it.

How many built models do you have in your collection, which are your favourites and why?

Close to 60 right now. The number goes up and down because I trade them with other builders for my little private museum. My favorite is probably my 1937 Full Fendered Fiat Toplino. Just something special about being the designer and the builder of a one off like that.

Most occupations come with some funny stories attached. Can you bring any to mind?

Well I have had a gal come into the shop looking for Blinker Fluid. That was funny, I could tell it was a Father or Boy friend or something messing with her so I played along and sent her to a parts store for it. But one of the funniest stories I have involves model cars. I was good friends with Bob Paeth and we both enjoyed two prime time games shows they have in the States Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. Jeopardy is a Trivia Game and Wheel of Fortune is a word game based on the kids game Hangman. Bob and his wife Jan always played Wheel of Fortune with each other. 30 minutes out of their day spent together doing something they enjoyed. So where I live they show Wheel Of Fortune and then Jeopardy. Where Bob lived it was backwards, Jeopardy and then Wheel of Fortune. So Bob and I would go on line and I would feed him the answers for Wheel of Fortune. Then he would go into the Living room and play with Jan. Bob would wait until there were 3 or 4 letters exposed and then say the answer. This went on for a long time Couple of years. Then ar Bob's Funeral Service, I was sitting at the table with Jan and some more of the family members. So I told the story. Jan said I knew he was cheatin' but couldn't figure out how. Everybody had a great laugh at that one.

Which are you favourite films?

I like Action and Romantic Comedy. Indiana Jones movies. Sleepless in Seattle, You Got Mail. That kind of stuff. Oh and car flicks. How do you top American Graffiti or Two Lane Blacktop?

What is your favourite car/bike/plane.

1969 Chevrolet Camaro.

If you could change something about our hobby, what would it be and why?

Not sure how to word this. I would do something to expose the youth of today to model building. Not just cars but all genres of the hobby. last year I was in Elma Washington at the Variety Store. I know they carry a small selection of models and always stop by when I am in the area. So I get back to the Model Section and there is this young boy maybe 10 or 11 looking at models with his Mother. He is wanting to get the Revell 1932 Ford Three Window Coupe but it's 28 bucks and his Mother is telling him to pick one that isn't so expensive. So I introduced myself to her and ask if I could by the kit for her son. I told her a little bit of my history with models and cars. Finally she said Okay So i got him the kit a tube of glue and a can of Testor's Black Spray Paint. Because the car on the box was Black. I tried to explain he could paint it any color he wanted but gave up after a bit. I guess where I am going with this story is that something needs to be done to reduce the price of kits and get young people involved. At Model Car Sunday, May 3rd 2015 there was not one Junior Entry. That is what I would change.

If you could have one wish granted to you, what would it be?

World Peace. I mean come on people wake up.

People involved in our early lives often have the most influence upon us. Would you care to tell us who that person was for you and why?

Two People My Step Father and a School Teacher I had. My Step Father for trying to teach me all he could about cars. and Bill Hawkins for trying to keep me pointed straight ahead. Not an easy task I wasn't really going for it then.

What was the daftest thing you ever did that you care to admit too?

When I was in the Army I was a parachutist. We jumped a HALO (High Altitude Low Opening) jump called a Mop and Pop. It was a moonless night and so dark that when we jumped out of the plane at 12,500 feet you couldn't even see the ground below. In those few seconds (that seem like an eternity) before you open your chute you find out a lot about the real you.

Finally, is there anything else you would like to add?

I started building model cars and reading hot rod magazines when I was 10 years old. I learned enough that when I got out of the Army I could go into the Automotive Repair Industry and stay there for 41 years. Now I take all I learned being in that industry for 41 years and try to put it back into my models. So I guess you could say it has come full circle. Brake lines, fuel systems, electrical loom routing all that stuff. I hope that the hobby survives to be passed on to future generations but doubt that it will. It's full of old timers now, a dying hobby and that makes me a little sad. It was very good to me.

Cheers Buck, it was a pleasure doint the interview with you.

Some photos of Buck's models and Man Cave:

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown

Last edited by Skid on Sun 31 May 2015, 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.com
beowulf

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Tue 12 May 2015, 5:01 pm

great interview...i learnt a few things about you there

too many kits on them there shelves...............get some of them built!!! lol

2009 A:72 B:31 C:4....2010 A:50 B:27 C:21....2011 A:45 B:25 C:2....2012 A:25 B:19 C:2
2013 A:25 B:15 C:2....2014 A:29 B:16 C:0....2015 A:28 B:21 C:1....2016  A:20 B:13 C:1
2017 A:19 B:7 C:12.....2018 A:7 B:4 C:1

Paul
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Tue 12 May 2015, 5:48 pm

Great interview, and after getting to meet Buck in person, he interviews just like the real deal.

Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Tue 12 May 2015, 6:06 pm

Great interview Buck. Since we are both Pacific Northwesterners, I have had the pleasure of seeing you a fair amount. It is always a pleasure.

I agree with Paul ..... too many kits just sitting there on the shelf!!!!!
Back to top Go down
2whl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Tue 12 May 2015, 11:50 pm

Great interview....too bad we couldn't both get to GSL. Maybe in two years!!

2018 A=16  B=0  C=56
Back to top Go down
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Wed 13 May 2015, 12:55 am

GAD!!! What a stash! Great interview Buck.

"My second childhood is so much more fun than my first."
Back to top Go down
2whl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Wed 13 May 2015, 1:08 am

This is Buck's new avatar......lol  

2018 A=16  B=0  C=56
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Wed 13 May 2015, 1:44 am

LOL. That cracks me up Paul.

Thanks a ton everyone. it was fun sharing things with you guys and gals.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
Dave from Pleasanton

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Wed 13 May 2015, 4:21 am

Thank you Buck, great to learn your story.
Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Wed 13 May 2015, 6:39 am

Ahhh Two Lane Blacktop, I ordered it from the U.S. but couldn't play it in Aus because of region coding, so I sent it to my cousin in the U.S. I love the mancave. Thanks to the Buckster!
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Wed 13 May 2015, 7:24 am

Sweet stash! And great to find out more about the man behind the username too.
Thanks Al & Buck.
Back to top Go down
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Wed 13 May 2015, 10:52 am

Hi Mr Z,

Thank you for sharing your history with us Sir, I think you have more models than any model store I've been into...

Thank you again Sir...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
http://www.veterans-uk.info/
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Wed 13 May 2015, 11:45 am

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Wed 13 May 2015, 5:40 pm

Thanks guys. I can't wait for all of you to get into the Limelight. Getting to know each other and bonding and all that stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Wed 13 May 2015, 5:51 pm

Zbuckster wrote:
Getting to know each other and bonding and all that stuff.

Back to top Go down
dogfish7
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Thu 14 May 2015, 2:52 pm

You da man!
Back to top Go down
itsonlyakit

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   Thu 21 May 2015, 7:58 am

Met up with Zbuckster at "Model Car Sunday 24" back in May 2013 after finding him on this forum. That was a fun connection. When I go out on my South facing 5th floor balcony, and I see the Olympic Mountains I know who lives on the other side in Aberdeen, small world !...................wow, that's a lot of plastic. Cheers Eh! Gord
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: zbuckster   

Back to top Go down

Limelight on: zbuckster
Page 1 of 1