Share | 

Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Thu 05 Mar 2015, 3:19 am

I am thinking of starting my #2 build while I wait to find out what can be done to
this disaster. It is enamel and Testors to boot, that takes at least a week to dry up then
maybe I can sand it off. Might just start my USS Lexington CV-2 carrier in the mean time.
1/700 Trumpeter kit, but am still at odds to do it full hull or waterline. They give you a
vacu formed base for the waterline, clear blue.---John
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Thu 05 Mar 2015, 4:59 am

John V, maybe if you take some rubbing alcohol you can wipe it off and go from their, just a thought
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Thu 05 Mar 2015, 12:17 pm

Interesting thread already. I'll be watching.
Back to top Go down
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Thu 05 Mar 2015, 3:35 pm

Just got back from the first TransAm race of the year, in Sebring. 73 cars started for a new record.

I have been putting off building this Wisconsin kit for many years. It is to be a gift, so it has to be done well. The painting has me scared to death. It is molded in these two colors. Do I paint it or leave it? Coyote has given me some suggestions. I see some of you appear to be assembling and then painting. Really? Any help or suggestions as to how and what colors would be appreciated.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Thu 05 Mar 2015, 5:15 pm

Welcome Don.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
2whl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Thu 05 Mar 2015, 10:08 pm

John...I have that PT boat in the stash also......I might have to switch to it if the pirate ship stalls again.

Mike...I like the look of those decks.

I now realize why I put this thing aside.  There are way too many small parts that have to be cleaned up and painted.  There are 128 of these pulleys alone.

I've spent a couple of days just cleaning the dust off of the previously started parts. With that in mind, I got a case for it so when it's finished (or stalls out again) , the dust won't get to it.

2018 A=35  B=0  C=87

Last edited by 2whl on Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Thu 05 Mar 2015, 11:40 pm

Wow! Now that's a display case. While the mess settles I will be working on build #2.
I dug out the USS Lexington CV-2, which was sunk at the Battle of Coral Sea on May
8, 1942.It is the Trumpeter 1/700 scale. Shouldn't be too bad, still trying to decide betwen waterline and full hull, Trumpeter gives you a vac u formed base for the waterline. I like the planes, they are
molded in clear so if you paint the area around the cockpit interior green then paint the plane it's
normal blue gray over gray the cockpit shows through as interior green. I will eventually return to the PT boat but that needs to dry a bit.---John

Back to top Go down
2whl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 12:07 am

I like that base !!! I've got a Hornet and an Essex in 1/350 from Trumpeter.

2018 A=35  B=0  C=87
Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 1:54 am

I think I jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. Trying to decipher what Trumpeter
is showing in their instructions is next to impossible. So I found an on line build, on Cybermodeler
that sorta explains the good and bads Trumpeter did on this kit. They are notorious for molding
unsquare and soft edges, hard to get a good square fit from this kit. After about 2 hours and several
"I'm gonna toss this in the garbages" I finally got the flare on the bow to fit the deck. The trick is to put the flares on the bow then flip it over and fit the whole unit to the deck to see if it lines up. Lotsa teeny tiny parts!This is going to be one lllllllloooooooonnnnnngggggggg build!---John

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 2:26 am

My sailing ship is the same way. Just mass pieces. I think that being 1/96th scale is to my advantage. I have 1244 parts but they are big parts. LOL
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 2:32 am

All I can say is, better you than me. lol
Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 3:55 am

Done for the night. I scared myself, I actually think I know how the parts go in
now. Best quit while I am ahead. More gun decks and bulkheads tomorrow. I do
know it will be waterline, the less parts the better.---John
Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 9:24 am

I have scratch built a gun platform around the searchlight platform. I will also be replacing many of the Revell parts with more modern offerings as the Revell ones are 'chunky' and lacking in detail. I am guided by drawings by Webbs Warships.

The platform is half finished, still working on supports and cleaning it up.

Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 9:28 am

You're crazy you know that don't you Chris!!! Those individual parts are microscopic.

Nice job.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.com
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 9:32 am

Thanks Al. A couple of days work there. How's that Heller kit coming along?

Nice work John, the Lexington will be a nice looking ship. Welcome to the world of 1/700 modelling, yes lots of small parts.....and just when it looks finished there is something else that needs doing. But it's worth it.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:08 am

I'm stuck on the paints at the moment Chris but going into town to-day and hope to pick them up there.

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 2:28 pm

Again, I'm surprised by a few of the small scale ships in their detailing. Also, the ability to make and alter parts in such small scales will make this community build above average. Re: U.S.S. Constitution, the plastic case is the way to go. It becomes a safe way to store it and keeps the dust off. Congrats to all on choices and progress!
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 6:52 pm

Went into town today and managed to get all the paints I need.

Got the upper hull and the superstructure you see here, done in what I would refer to as Battleship Grey but which Humbrol refer to as Light Sea Grey. Also did the main deck in Humbrol Sand as the instructions suggested.

However, I'm not sure about it and want the hear Chris' opinion before I proceed much further.

Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 06 Mar 2015, 11:53 pm

That deck color looks nice. I have most of the lower tubs and bulkheads in. I placed
it on the waterline plate and set it in the "ocean". Looks good, just have to figure out
how to make foam for the wake.---John

Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sat 07 Mar 2015, 12:21 am

Looks good already just sitting there John.

As the 'wake' is already molded in to the base, I would think dry brushing them with white paint would work.

Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sat 07 Mar 2015, 2:08 am

I would do the deck again Al. Humbrol Sand I think is a bit too orange. Have a look at the gallery section of the link below and then decide what you want to do. I don't know much about enamels, I use acrylics. With acrylics I can use the AK interactive washes on the deck surfaces. Can't use the washes on enamels.

http://www.modelship...ex-gallery.html
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sat 07 Mar 2015, 12:47 pm

Maybe one of the military model forums has the choices as to what is best.  I remember hearing that sometimes different woods were used.  The Yamato Japanese ship had teakwood decking.  Also, looking at  fotos online can be deceiving.  The  kind of lighting in a pic and camera settings make a difference.  Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sat 07 Mar 2015, 3:25 pm

Humbrol Sand I think is a bit too orange wrote:

That's what I thought too Chris. OK.... I'll do it in Tamya Deck Tan as you suggested for the HMS Hood.

Now, someone keep me right here........... normaly I use only acrylic paint. Can I safely spray acrylic over enamel??

Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sat 07 Mar 2015, 4:26 pm

Al, you can do acrylic over enamel, you can't do enamel over acrylic, the enamel is hot and will eat the acrylic, so it was explained to me. I glued the waterline plate on. It is shown as the last step but with all the small guns and boats on it looked like a disaster waiting to happen. As it was I had to twist and flip to make sure it was properly aligned, not a good idea for a "ham fisted" builder like me to attempt with all those tenny tiney parts just asking to be knocked off! I also glued the elevators flush with the top of the deck and added a strip on the bottom side for strength. Also is there a 1/700 destroyer Phelps or Henley made, would like to add one to the build.---John
Back to top Go down
A5h

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sat 07 Mar 2015, 6:37 pm

So guys I forgot to post my pics though if I wasnt doing it for someone at work I would have put it back in the box as the kit is horrible and will cost me more in filler than paint.

The box art.. oooooo nice eh??

The horrible hull glued together

Deck modified to fit as when you put it on as per the instructions it popped over one side and left a huge gap at the other

With some bits on top added

Since taking these pictures I have done some more, will post some tomorrow after I have had another bash with the filler
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   

Back to top Go down

Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next