Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Sam

PostSubject: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 12:06 am

Since we had a tie on voting for this CB subject, you can build either a WWII Ship, or a sailing ship. Remember with the new format, there is no finish date. The build must be started though, before the start of the next CB. So start your builds here !!

Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 1:51 am

My contribution to this CB is the Revell HMS Kelly kit which will be converted into the Australian destroyer HMAS Nizam. I have a drawing of the Nizam made by Webbs Warships which I will use to make the changes.

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 4:46 am

I'm in with the Ark Royal.  This is a repop of a 1966 Pyro mold by LifeLike.  Scale is not specified, but the Pyro ships usually run about 1/350. There aren't many pieces, but I think a lot of time will be spent in painting.  And, if time permits, the plastic ratlines may be replaced with scratchbuilt ones.

The Ark Royal was originally built for Sir Walter Raleigh in 1587 but sold to Queen Elizabeth I to settle some of his debts to the crown.  It was the flagship of the Royal Navy when it defeated the Spanish Armada in 1588.

Anchors aweigh!
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 4:54 am

Okay I am in on this one also. Excited about it really. Last time I built any type of ship was when I as 10 years . It was an Aircraft Carrier. So I am a rookie at this genre of modeling, but like they say "Modeling is modeling" . This is the kit I am building.

I am not going to fill up the page with spruce shots. This kit has 1244 parts (according to the box) And looking it over I believe it.

I started with step one on the instructions. Here is the hull halves drying and clamped. Not sure how long the hull is, The finished model is 33 inches long so 1/96th scale is big.

Should have more to show real soon.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
beowulf

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:07 am

ive only ever built a couple of floaty boaty things in my times, just not my thing......and i think its cos of the scales involved...to me 1/72 is pretty small so when you start talking in terms of 1/400 or smaller i struggle, just too small in my mind lol

so im going to be doing this.............1/72 German E Boat.....for those that dont know they were attack boats.......torpedos and mine laying

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-boat

kit is by airfix and i got it in their black friday sale for not a lot of money.......was a 'new tool' back in 1975 and is @450mm/nearly 18 inches long..........ive had to check to make sure this fits in my display case cos its so big!!

2009 A:72 B:31 C:4....2010 A:50 B:27 C:21....2011 A:45 B:25 C:2....2012 A:25 B:19 C:2
2013 A:25 B:15 C:2....2014 A:29 B:16 C:0....2015 A:28 B:21 C:1....2016  A:20 B:13 C:1
2017 A:19 B:7 C:12.....2018 A:17 B:4 C:1

Paul
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 4:07 pm

Ok guys. I'm in too as promised.

Two days in and five entries. Pretty good.

Love those two sailing ships Buck and Mike.

This is what I'm building:

And this is where I'm at right now:

The rear (sorry Chris.... aft. LOL ) small gun had both it's barrels broken so I had to make new ones.

It's 590mm long. For sense of scale:

For an old Heller kit the fit is pretty darn good but the instructions leave quite a bit to be desired as far as placement of some parts goes.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.com
2whl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:02 pm

With rules opened up to include previously started OTB's, I will attempt to get this one going again.

Here is a link to the start of my build.

http://skidsplace.forumotion.com/t25-black-swan-pirate-ship

2018 A=16  B=0  C=56
Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 9:25 pm

Here's my entry, the old Revell 1/72 PT-109. I did this a couple years ago as
the Motor Torpedo Boat green 109 of Lt Kennedy's. This time I want to do a
boat in early PT colors before they were ordered to paint them green to match
the islands vegetation as camouflage. So I went to a PT boat site and found some
information and pictures for PT-107, sister ship to PT-109 in the early war measure
21 scheme, 20B over 5N with a copperoid (red) color below the waterline. Here it is
in all 81 parts.---John

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 9:32 pm

So we can do boats as well as ships then?

bit better for me as I had a few other ideas to scratch that weren't ships.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 10:34 pm

The theme is "Any World War II ship or any sailing ship" As far as the PT Boat being a boat and not a ship I see no problem with that. We can wait on other staff members to weigh in but I really don't see a problem.
Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 10:41 pm

No, no problem at all. We are not 'nit picking' about it. It is pointy at one end, has propellers at the other end and was in WW2 so it counts.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:20 pm

It floats dunnit!!! Nuf said!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:30 pm

Cool..... Researching I shall go...... Cheers boss men.
Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:47 pm

Isn't an S Boat a Schnellboat? I am getting real confused here.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:59 pm

JoihnV, I haven't got a clue. I am a car guy this is all new water I am wading in.
Back to top Go down
2whl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Tue 03 Mar 2015, 12:08 am

I would say if it was in WWII and floats...it's OK. or if it has sails.

2018 A=16  B=0  C=56
Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Tue 03 Mar 2015, 1:53 am

Zbuckster me either, I am all wet when it comes to floaty things, pun intended. Here's some
progress on my boat. I have the deck on. It wasn't a quick slap job, this mold is
old, I had to glue down the bow then stern and work the middle inch by inch with
super glue. That wasn't really that bad, the worse part is it is dark green, I can't see
the details on dark plastic at all. Once I sand out the join area I can mask and paint
the red below the waterline. I also found some notes I had made saying some of these
boats were just 5D, dark gray entirely except the red below the waterline. Have to
do some research on that.---John

Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Tue 03 Mar 2015, 2:37 am

LOTS of floaty things !! Great job guys !!
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Tue 03 Mar 2015, 3:19 am

Zbuckster wrote:
Okay I am in on this one also. Excited about it really. Last time I built any type of ship was when I as 10 years . It was an Aircraft Carrier. So I am a rookie at this genre of modeling, but like they say "Modeling is modeling" . This is the kit I am building.

Buck, I have this kit somewhere in my stash so will be watching this for sure, the other's look interesting also and I might learn some thing new
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Tue 03 Mar 2015, 5:57 pm

There were some quite nasty sink marks on the bows and a nasty seam an the stern. These needed to be sanded/filled etc.

The raised bits around the holes in the bow, were not well aligned or formed, so I sanded them off and will add them back on later. Not sure how yet though!!! LOL

Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Tue 03 Mar 2015, 9:17 pm

I have the prop shafts and rudders on. When they are set up I can mask and
paint the area below the waterline dark red. I also built the stand, I built it
inside out. The cross members had PT-109 engraved on them and I am building
PT-107. I also had to make a disc as the one showing the squadron emblem is
also on the inside, I can find some decals or some kind of emblems to "liven it up".
The only other area I had to work on was removing the cradle blocks that the
Carley float sat on.That item on the front deck that looks like a rubber raft was
actually a balsa float, Carley float. It really didn't quite look like Revell molded it
but it's close enough for me. I am moving it from the fore deck to the day cabin
roof.---John

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 04 Mar 2015, 4:59 pm

Looking good, John.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 04 Mar 2015, 8:12 pm

Looks like everyone is having fun - so am I.  This brings back my days of leisurely hand painting birdhouses out in the sunshine with a beer at my side.  LOL  Masking the design off to spray paint colors on would have driven me insane.

Colors are: Vallejo Off White
Vallejo Red
Vallejo Medium Earth
CraftColor Green Sea
CraftColor Burnt Sienna

Had to begin the hand painting early on since the insides (bulwarks) have detail to be painted clear down to the decking.  Touch-up and second coats still to come.

Painted the deck antique white and then used a sooty wash which didn't look very good.  When it dried, I went over it with a heavier pine wash and it looks much better.  I'll decide if it stays when I place it in the hull and see it.

Also began painting little pieces for deckside.

BTW - the Ark Royal had a keel length of 103ft. and the model's length is 6 in.  So the scale works out to 1/200th.

Comments, suggestions and criticisms welcome,
Mike
Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 04 Mar 2015, 10:00 pm

Not all that fun, I masked the hull and sprayed it red. The red ran like crazy and
made a mess. Currently on hold till I figure out my next move, can it be salvaged
or do I start over. Uggghhhhhhh!
Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Thu 05 Mar 2015, 1:13 am

Great work everyone. Hang in there John, walk away from it and come back the next day, you might feel better about it. I can see Mike is having fun, I always find it relaxing to just use a paint brush. Al will find this Heller kit a challenge. I think I once described the Gneisenau as a hitman in a trenchcoat with sunglasses. It was big, bad and beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   

Back to top Go down

Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next