Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber

4 posters

Go down

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber Empty Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber

Post by RetiredMike Sat 28 Feb 2015, 8:22 pm

Here is the completion of the Polikarpov R5. It might seem out of place for a WWII GB, but Russia threw everything it had against Germany including old biplanes. They saw service as reconnaisance and nuisance aircraft. The nuisance aircraft staged a psychological war against German troops on the Eastern Front. They would drop small fragmentation bombs over German camps every 10 - 15 minutes, keeping soldiers awake and on edge throughout the night. The R5 and the PO-2 were very effective at this, being undetectable by radar and having a top speed lower than the stall speeds of the FW190 and Me109.

The APEX kit is very spartan in its molding detail and parts and so a bit of scratchbuilding was done to make it look better. There's definitely nothing like professionally supplied details.  Scratchbuilt pieces include bombs and bomb racks, generator, vacuum venturi, control cable attachment arms, fuel lines, pilot sight tube, gauges and windscreens.

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber R5-2910

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber R5-3010

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber R5-3310

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber R5-3510

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber R5-3610

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber R5-3110

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber R5-3210

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber R5-3410

Thanks for looking in and commenting,

Mike
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber Empty Re: Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber

Post by Guest Sat 28 Feb 2015, 8:29 pm

Turned out nice.

Great job on a basic kit

Back to top Go down

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber Empty Re: Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber

Post by Guest Sun 01 Mar 2015, 12:02 am

Very cool plane. I really like the figures. Not sure how much help the pistol would be in a dog fight but it looks good.

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:13 am

Igor has a tendency to have a few vodkas between missions - and it was his 8th mission that night. LOL
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:12 am

Looking good Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Mar 2015, 4:19 pm

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber 1792231099 8th mission, good one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:50 pm

Great job Mike and I see nothing wrong with the rigging!! Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber 1705482731

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Sun 01 Mar 2015, 10:33 pm

Zbuckster wrote:Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber 1792231099  8th mission, good one.

I read that the record for these night bombers was held by one of the female 'Night Witches' with 15 missions in a single night.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coyote Mon 02 Mar 2015, 1:59 am

I love it. Reminds me of an old James Coburn movie "What Did You Do in the War Daddy?" Somehow I don't think Igor remembered much.
coyote
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Mon 23 Mar 2015, 11:48 am

Polikarpov R5 - WWII Soviet Night Bomber 2776978727
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down