Share | 

Limelight on: webby

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Limelight on: webby   Mon 01 Dec 2014, 6:28 pm

Name:

Christopher John Webster. (Webby or Web to my mates)

Place of birth:

Brisbane, Australia

Place of residence:

Strathpine, Australia

I'm a car mechanic by trade, did my apprentice ship and a couple of years more, then I gave it away. No great loss to me or the motor trade! Worked as a labourer then a forklift driver, then making moulds for concrete masonry.

Then got process worker, got a job in the store there and 'rose' to the dizzying heights of leading hand. An argument with the General Manager saw me resign from there. After that I started work for a mate fixing caravan & portable refrigeration. Stayed there for 10 years then went to Domestic as a storeman/technican. Worked my way up there to warehouse foreman ( Oh! the sheer POWER!).

Then into the office for Tech Support & Warranty. Was there for 11 years, but a change of management and a lack of support from them saw me resign.

Now back working for my mate fixing fridges/stoves/Air Cons/gas heaters.

After all that, my only formal qualifications I have are as a mechanic with a forklift licence and a restricted LPG licence!

You've had a varied work career Chris, do you have any funny work related anecdotes you can share with us?

I used to do after hours break down/road service work, and if we couldn't fix the car on the side of the road, we'd flat tow it to the workshop, using a solid tow bar and tell the owner to "stay directly behind me and put your brakes on when you see my brake lights'

So, I'm out on the freeway with this overheated Holden- radiator bone dry. Couldn't get it going, he'd cooked it. Hook up the towbar, caution him as above & off we go. I take the exit ramp, he keeps going on the freeway! It got to the point where I could see his left head light in my ute's door mirror.

I have to steer right, stop blocking the freeway exit & lecture this idiot. Got back to the workshop, and then he wants a receipt for the car, since it has to stay there until Monday morning.

Come Monday, we look at it. Head gaskets are gone. Other guys doing the same work got offers to 'take it out in trade' from some 'working girls' I never got that!

Other time was when I had to climb to the top of the cement silos & check the cement levels. At night. During  a thunder storm. Not so funny at the time. Felt very, very exposed up there!

When did you build your first model and what was it?

Would have been in 1965-6. An F-86. Or as I called it a Sabre Jet. Would have been a 1/72 scale , but the brand eludes me. It was silver though!

I broke it apart fairly soon after and didn't get back into modelling for a couple if years. I mostly built 1/72 Airfix & Frog aircraft from the WWII era. I do remember building the Airfix Mk I tank & the Matador gun tractor in the midst of the aircraft.

Thinking back to when you were a child, (and I know that is a LONG time ago!! LOL) what is your earliest memory?
X-myth 1963. I got my first Legos. I remember it was at our house in Oxley, Brisbane & one of the windows had a finger print in glue on it.

Dad said it was Santas's finger prints. It must have been '63, because in '64 we moved to New Guinea.

What sports do you compete in and watch?

I don't compete, although I used to race ( not very well!) in speedway. 1980-84 and 1994-97.

I love cricket in the one day & Test match format, I try to get at least one day at a Test Match each season. I'm also a regular attendee at the domestic first class matches, the Sheffield Shield.

I used to love our V8 Supercar series, but the ardour is waning. We've been shafted by the organisers and the cars are too far removed from production models. I'm a regular at club race meetings, attending about 6 per year. Usually with the same mates, under the 'gazebo of shame' (our portable sunshade!)

What is your favourite genre of film and which is your favourite movie?

I don't really have a favourite genre- quality is more important than the genre to me. Favourite movie? Probably "Strategic Air Command"

Why? 1) The aircraft and the stunning air to air photography. 2) James Stewart. A great actor and a great man.
Hitchcocks 'Rear Window' gets an honorable mention too. Stewart & Kelly at their best.

What do you have on the bench at the moment and what will be up next?

Where do I start?

Racers wedge- getting close, needs some detailing.
'63 Olds Starfire, getting close, needs some parts rechromed.
'75 Chev Van. Needs paint, chassis & interior done.
GMC Titan, needs paint, chassis & interior done.

That's excluding various stalled builds, there's about 6-8 of them.

What advice would you give to a new modeller just starting out in our wonderful hobby?

Read the instructions, but build it for your pleasure, not someone else.

Apart from modelling, what else do you like to do in your free time?

I'm a keen reader, have been since I learnt how. I do most of my reading online these days. I work on the Buick- there's always something that I want/need to do to it.

Watch cricket, in season, and motorsport.

Camping & week ends away with Anne.

If you could be granted just one wish to come true, what would you wish for?

Selfish of me, but I'd aways like to have enough money in my pocket for what ever I wished to buy.

Marroned on a desert island, you have the complete works of Shakespeare and a religious book of your choosing. What essential item would you take with you and what luxury item? ( No means of communicating or traveling to the outside world allowed)

Can I swap the religious book? I'm an athiest.

Essential item? An Axe. Luxury item? Mmm, tougher. A still.

If you could meet anyone from history, who would it be and what would you ask them.

My grandmother, Sybil Webster. She died when my Dad was 7, so he barely knew her and all I have is my late Grandfathers memories and old photos.  

OK. So what would you ask her?

Tough one, so many questions there. I have the impression she struggled with life in western Queensland. I'd like to hear her story.

You mentioned you used to race back in the day, would you care to expand on that please Chris?

Goes back to 1980, my mate Geoff & I were given a Vauxhall Velox ute. We decided to race it in in the "bomber' class. A waste of a good, restorable ute, alas.

Then a FC ( 1958) Holden, an EJ (1962) Holden, with another mate All eventually had too much damage, so we build a Vauxall PA Cresta.

A falling out with my mate's parents (they thought I was a dope smoking fiend who had designs on their daughter- they were half right) saw me take the Cresta. Raced it to 1984 then built a HT (1969) Holden up. Never raced it as I had bought this 'palace' & couldn't afford the luxury!

Forgot to mention that I raced a Falcon with my mate Grayham, actually won a race it it! The irony of it, me a staunch foe of Henry Ford, & I win a race in one!

Racing was on the back burner till the mid 90's. I'd paid the house off and was still a bachelor, so plenty of coin for racing, and overseas trips.

Another mate, Leonard & I built a '78 Holden Gemini ( Aussie relation to the Opel Kadett/Vauxhall-Chevrolet Chevette) and raced it with some success. Even went as far as a worked 1800 engine, and it was great to drive a car that actually handled well!

The Gemini lasted till about '1998, Leonard got married & I'd meet Anne.

Haven't raced since, I'm probably a better race mechanic than race driver. If the Lemons Series took off down under I'd think about it though, provided I could go in with a few mates.

What are your favourite foods and drinks?

On the drinks front, Johnny Walker Black & Coke, Tsing Tao beer. Food, I love Indian, a taste aqquired from visting UK based friends back in the 90s.

Anne doesn't, so I rarely get to eat the stuff! A good steak, BBQ'd by me with veg or a salad is a fine too.
Chinese or Thai is good too.

What type of music do you like and who are your favourite artistes?

Most 60's pop/rock. Moody Blues, some Stones, Doors, Yardbirds, Jay & The Americans.
'Rhapsody in Blue by' Gershwin, l love it. I also like some jazz, a bit of classical. No matter what I listen to I always come back to my all time favourite..... The Beatles. " a force that wiped clean and drew again the face of popular music" is an apt quote.

What types of fiction do you enjoy and who are your preferred authors?

I don't read much fiction these days but Sue Graftons detective novels with the character Kinsey Milhone are a favourite.

All time favouite is George Macdonald Frasers 'Flashman' series of historical/hysterical novels.
W.E.B. Griffins "Brotherhood of War Series" is another fave.

Finally Chris, is there anything you would like to add?

I'm in a good place ATM, I have all I need & most of what I want. Life is mostly easy & uncomplicated. Sounds smug & it probably is of me.

Life is good- and better than the other options.

To the youngsters- look after your skin & teeth. And work hard so I can get a pension! End of rant/ spit/ etc.
Thanks for asking, Al, its been a pleasure being 'interrogated'

Chris

My pleasure Chris. Thanks for taking part in 'Limelight'

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.com
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   Mon 01 Dec 2014, 7:46 pm

Well done. Thanks Chris. Good to know a bit about you.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   Tue 02 Dec 2014, 5:08 am

It was good to read your story Chris. I am guessing you don't wear blue on state of origin night. You live in a nice part of Australia.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   Tue 02 Dec 2014, 11:33 am

Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   Tue 02 Dec 2014, 9:57 pm

Chris, Thanks for taking the time to let us know more about you. This is a cool thing that Al is doing!

In 2010, I was in Brisbane on business, visiting the Western Star Australia offices. Now they are owned by the Penske Group!
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   Wed 03 Dec 2014, 3:14 am

Nice chat Chris, and good job Al !

Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   Wed 03 Dec 2014, 12:32 pm

pete s wrote:
Chris, Thanks for taking the time to let us know more about you. This is a cool thing that Al is doing!

In 2010, I was in Brisbane on business, visiting the Western Star Australia offices. Now they are owned by the Penske Group!

My pleasure, Pete. On the subject of Penske, he's recently raised his profile here in Aus.

He's just bought a majority shareholding in DJR (Dick Johnson Racing) and brought Marcos Ambrose back here to race/push other drivers off.
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   Fri 05 Dec 2014, 11:44 pm

Waddyaknow....you're a normal hard working guy like the rest of us, Chris !

Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   Sat 06 Dec 2014, 12:30 am

I didn't think I'd enjoy these interviews, and it kinda feels like prying into lives beyond our common modeling interests. Still, we are adults and are understanding of others thoughts and interests (no trolls at this site!) even when they differ from some of our views. Thanx for the work put in to put the builder with the creations.
Back to top Go down
Brizio
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   Sat 06 Dec 2014, 4:27 pm

Cool idea this Limelight! Nice reads too.
Back to top Go down
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   Sun 14 Jun 2015, 8:26 pm

Hi Mr W,

Cool interview Sir and great to learn you about you a bit more...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
http://www.veterans-uk.info/
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   Mon 15 Jun 2015, 3:21 pm

Intersting suff Chris, thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
dogfish7
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   Tue 16 Jun 2015, 2:14 pm

I feel like I know you better some how.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: webby   

Back to top Go down

Limelight on: webby
Page 1 of 1