Pikes Peak, 1970s

Go down 
AuthorMessage
webby
Resident member
Resident member
webby

Pikes Peak, 1970s Empty
PostSubject: Pikes Peak, 1970s   Pikes Peak, 1970s Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2014, 12:55 am

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/1977-pikes-peak-hill-climb-broughams-to-the-clouds-2/#more-41561

Not my pics or article, but some unlikely American cars taking on Pikes Peak in the mid 1970s
Back to top Go down
Johnag
Johnag

Pikes Peak, 1970s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pikes Peak, 1970s   Pikes Peak, 1970s Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2014, 1:15 am

Hi Mr W,

Thank you for sharing this, is this the same place that Jessie James tried...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
http://www.veterans-uk.info/
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member
pete s

Pikes Peak, 1970s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pikes Peak, 1970s   Pikes Peak, 1970s Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2014, 3:03 am

Great post. I went to Pike's Peak, as crew chief, with the real Sterling Race Truck for several years starting in 2000 (yes, this is the truck that I am currently modeling).

What I find interesting and ironic, was that in 2000, both Gay Smith and Leonard Vasholz were still running on the hill, being very competitive and winning or placing well in their classes (18 years later). Also this had a photo of Gary Kanaywer, who I met in the late 70's. He drove a Newman-Dreager chassis, with VW power. I arranged for a presentation at a technical meeting by Doug Draeger. He brought this car to the show. Just awesome!

Thanks for the memories!
Back to top Go down

Pikes Peak, 1970s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pikes Peak, 1970s   Pikes Peak, 1970s Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2014, 4:06 pm

Thanks Chris. Good link.
Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member
pete s

Pikes Peak, 1970s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pikes Peak, 1970s   Pikes Peak, 1970s Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2014, 4:45 pm

The other thing to note about Pike's Peak, is that now it is fully paved. NO MORE DIRT!!

To me, this is a shame, as the draw and interest in this race has always been watching the drivers finesse their cars sideways around the dirt corners. The car control of some of these guys (Leonard Vasholz in particular) is just awesome, and something to see in person. I find it breathtaking, as there are no guardrails. As shown in some of the photos, the drivers are really on the edge!

I got a bumper sticker from the race that states "Asphalt is for Sissies, Dirt is for Racing". I love that sticker!!!
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin
Skid

Pikes Peak, 1970s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pikes Peak, 1970s   Pikes Peak, 1970s Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2014, 5:18 pm

Thanks for sharing Chris. Some unlikely vehicles indeed.

This is the best footage I ever saw of Pikes Peak. Just take a look at how close his rear wheels come to the cliff edge!!!!!!

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.com
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member
beowulf

Pikes Peak, 1970s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pikes Peak, 1970s   Pikes Peak, 1970s Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2014, 5:29 pm

did any one see last weeks Guy Martin's Speed?.....that was his challenge on Pikes Peak

for those that dont know Guy is a barmpot motorcycle racer......isle of man TT and the such like but he has a series where he does crazy speed related projects...last night he broke the British speed record for a hovercraft, hit over 70mph
Back to top Go down
A5h
A5h

Pikes Peak, 1970s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pikes Peak, 1970s   Pikes Peak, 1970s Icon_minitimeThu 13 Nov 2014, 9:32 pm

I was watching him build the bike and start his training in the room which he modified ..

But that was all I saw :(
Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member
pete s

Pikes Peak, 1970s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pikes Peak, 1970s   Pikes Peak, 1970s Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2014, 3:18 am

Yea Al, that is a great video. I already have it on my computer. He probably is not very fast, as he is not very smooth .... There is a lot of see sawing of the steering wheel! But it is fun to watch. There is another video I have somewhere that is a "how to" on racing the course, filmed and narrated by Leonard Vasholz. Great video that we bought for our "rookie" race driver of the Sterling race truck. We told to watch it a lot to learn the course before we actually went there.

Like I said previously, now that the dirt is gone, much of the interest and fun is gone.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin
Skid

Pikes Peak, 1970s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pikes Peak, 1970s   Pikes Peak, 1970s Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2014, 10:32 am

His time was 10:47.220 a new course record at the time, beating the previous record by just under a second.

The current course record stands at 8:13.878. by another rally driver, Sebastian Loeb. Check out this video. It may be a lot faster, but it's no where near as skilfull a drive as Vaten's.

It's impossible to compare the two drives, because as you say, the surface is now ashpalt instead of dirt.

Loose surface driving is a whole different ball game to ashphalt. On loose surfaces you MUST get the back end sliding around a corner, otherwise you will be slower.That is why you see a lot of 'sawing' at the wheel. It's the complete reverse on tarmac of course.

I agree with you about the surface though. It's lost a LOT of it's appeal now IMO.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.com
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member
pete s

Pikes Peak, 1970s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pikes Peak, 1970s   Pikes Peak, 1970s Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2014, 4:21 pm

Getting the back end around is the foremost thing in the dirt, but not too far around. I took a 3 day off-road racing school outside of Reno years ago. What they stressed was:

- kick the back end out with a flick of the steering wheel (almost steering to the outside of the corner)
- Give the steering some reverse lock
- Steer it with the throttle, smoothly
- If the corner has berms built up, ride the wheels down in the berms to enhance cornering
- Any most importantly, look where you want the car to go, not where it is going!!!

This was probably one of the most fun classes I have ever done.

As far as Vatanen, he looks like he is moving the wheel a bit too much while in the corner. I have ridden with drivers (in Baja), where they are so smooth at controlling the car with the throttle mid-corner, that they hardly move the steering at all. It is impressive and magical to experience!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pikes Peak, 1970s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pikes Peak, 1970s   Pikes Peak, 1970s Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pikes Peak, 1970s
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Skid's  :: Shows and Meetings :: Full Size Shows-
Jump to: