Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Milner's dragster ............

4 posters

Go down

John Milner's dragster ............ Empty John Milner's dragster ............

Post by Old Coyote Sun 17 Aug 2014, 7:04 pm

......... a few years ago I read a post by Walter Frey in which he referred to the Jawbreaker as needing to be renamed the Ballbreaker ............. I have to agree with him, as the John Milner dragster from More American Graffiti is just the Jawbreaker with a dragster body replacing the Bantam coupe body

This old kit pulled the "warping" thing which I expected, but also surprised me with a decal issue I had never seen in 55 years of modeling .............. I coated the decals with Testors Bonder because of their age (as I have done with many sheets in the past with no issues) ............. however, the backing paper refused to release from the decal film even after 5 minutes in warm water ......... the backing paper was two ply, and the two plies separated from each other, but the upper paper ply still refused to release from the back of the decal ............ it took a lot of pulling with needle nose tweezers and slicing with a scalpel to finally get some of the decal to release from the final layer of paper ............ of course the thin stripes on the decals could not withstand that type of treatment

The basic kit was painted with Tamiya Chrome Yellow (the first two coats went on great, but the final coat fish-eyed and had to go into the purple pond .......... and that caused the plastic to craze) ................ after much sanding the three coat sequence was repeated ........... this time with no major problems ........... I replaced the kit engine (which to me was a joke) with a small block Chevrolet from the AMT engine parts pack ................. the rest of the kit was assembled as best as could be per the kit instructions ...............

I believe you Walter ............ this thing can be a Ball-Breaker  John Milner's dragster ............ 1757741307

John Milner's dragster ............ Milner07_zps4fd4a5c0

John Milner's dragster ............ Milner10_zpsa649052e

John Milner's dragster ............ Milner08_zps10540532

John Milner's dragster ............ Milner04_zpsb51c79e1

John Milner's dragster ............ Milner09_zpsd906f30b
Old Coyote
Old Coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

John Milner's dragster ............ Empty Re: John Milner's dragster ............

Post by Skid Sun 17 Aug 2014, 11:22 pm

Problems or no, you did a mighty fine job on a difficult kit John.

John Milner's dragster ............ 1705482731

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

John Milner's dragster ............ Empty Re: John Milner's dragster ............

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 12:01 am

Looks just like it. I have watched the movie "More American Graffiti" many times. Like you when I build my kit I want it to be accurate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon 18 Aug 2014, 7:03 am

Awesome outcome !! Perseverance paid off !!

Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 7:13 am

It may have been a difficult kit, but you were obviously up to the challenge. Great job.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Mon 18 Aug 2014, 11:22 pm

Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down