Using aluminium foil instead of BMF

Go down 
AuthorMessage
webby
Resident member
Resident member
webby

Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Empty
PostSubject: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jul 2014, 9:43 pm

Some time ago, one member here posted on using aluminium foil instead of BMF. I've searched the forum, no joy.

Can anyone remember the thread- or who posted it?

I'd like to try it on my dash restoration, as it's thicker than BMF and I can cut any length I like.

Cheers,

Chris
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin
Skid

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jul 2014, 10:29 pm

Chris, I think it may have been Nigel.

It comes on a roll and is self adhesive. Here in the UK we get it at Poundland. (Thrift Stores or Dollar Stores) It should work well enough on your dash but is IMO too thick for chrome trim.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.com
webby
Resident member
Resident member
webby

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jul 2014, 10:49 pm

G'day Al, I think I know the stuff you mean- alloy tape. We use it at work. Agree its too thick for chrome on models but it might work if cut into thin strips for my dash.

From memory the thread was about kitchen type aluminium foil & an adhesive for chrome application.
Someone used it on a model, so it's fine enough for my application.

I might try the alloy tape method. Thanks for the suggestion, the car is still off the road with
brake issues so no urgency. Yet!

Cheers,
Chris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jul 2014, 10:52 pm

I use the cheap "laggers tape" from pound shops, if you look around there's some types that are really thin, cheap and the adhesive's not great.... Perfect for modeling, no good for diy as it's not strong enough.
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member
webby

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jul 2014, 10:59 pm

Snake wrote:
I use the cheap "laggers tape" from pound shops,  if you look around there's some types that are really thin,  cheap and the adhesive's not great....  Perfect for modeling,  no good for diy as it's not strong enough.

Is that the same as an "old lag"?  Using aluminium foil instead of BMF 3887228019 
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin
Skid

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jul 2014, 11:37 pm

Hmmmm.... not quite Chris. An Old lag is someone who has been in prison numerous times. ie a persistent offender.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jul 2014, 11:57 pm

I should have written "air ducting and conditioning unit technician" instead of "lagger" lol

They use the tape to seal the pipework joins when assembling.

Anyway the cheap stuffs brilliant, the same as, and a fraction of the cost of the "modeling" quality doodab.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jul 2014, 12:52 am

Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member
webby

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jul 2014, 5:19 am

Thanks gents. Much obliged. I got stuck into it this afternoon. Used regular PVA glue & kitchen foil. Burnished with a Q tip.

Looks great- not show quality, but way better than it was. I'll post some before & after pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

Chris
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jul 2014, 1:40 pm

Before BMF, folks experimented with sticky glues and kitchen foil. It could be messy and how long it stuck in place depended on glue quality and foil thickness. A number of builders (I "retired" before BMF was common) seem to feel BMF is worth it for ease and time saving. If one uses kitchen foil often enuf with good glue one can probably get as good as with BMF.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jul 2014, 4:18 pm

I think the foil is an easy thing to do. The "Foul Adhesive" is like a contact cement. You put it on and it takes a bit for it to setup and then you put the foil down. WQhat makes it cool is that you can clean any excess with Alcohol. 50% doesn't seem to hurt the paint but 90% will take the paint off. I learned that the hard way.
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member
webby

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2014, 3:14 am

Here's the before pic. Chipped paint, dirty lens, no clock, faded needles, peeling chrome.

Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Img_2910

Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin
Skid

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2014, 8:08 am

Talk about keeping us in suspenders!!!

Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member
webby

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2014, 11:07 am

Skid wrote:
Talk about keeping us in suspenders!!!

I'll put you out of your misery- or suspenders.

The crinckled alfoil at the top corners will be hidden by the dash pad. The area each side of the column cutout are also hidden when assembled.

And thanks again for all your help!

Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Dash10
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
GaryDainton

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2014, 2:06 pm

Looks great Chris. Good idea.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm

Wow!!! What a difference. Nice work.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin
Skid

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2014, 6:51 pm

That's a very nice resto Chris. Well done!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using aluminium foil instead of BMF   Using aluminium foil instead of BMF Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using aluminium foil instead of BMF
Page 1 of 1