Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!)

5 posters

Go down

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) Empty Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!)

Post by Skid Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:28 pm

I got a bee in my bonnet to build another plane. Specifically a jet fighter. Well, the Tornado is my favourite and so a Tornado it had to be:

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) It000711

The bee was so strong, I didn't do a WIP.  Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 1705482731 

Not a bad kit (1:72) but it did have some fit issues with the air intakes plus they are way out of shape. Some problems also with the lower and upper fuselage fit on the nose. This entailed filling and sanding, a recipe for obliterating the already fine panel detail!!b Oh well!!.

The build went OK but I had some issues of my own making with the paint. The nearest paint I could find to the correct shade was Humbrol enamel Pale Stone. Now I rarely use enamels and I'd forgotten the rules of application. Results was some crazing!!!   Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 1757741307 

I didn't attempt any weathering as I'm leaving that until later in the year when I do a 1:48 version.

Anyway, I managed to sand most of it out and while it's not brilliant by any means, it is what it is and I'll live with it.

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 00617

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 00717

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 00820

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 00914

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 00520

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 00419

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 00324

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 00230

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) Empty Re: Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!)

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jun 2014, 12:11 am

Looks good to me Al.  You must have done a good job on the crazing.  Don't know about these trips to the dark side though. Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 1792231099

Back to top Go down

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) Empty Re: Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!)

Post by RetiredMike Mon 23 Jun 2014, 12:25 am

Looks nice and clean to me , Al. After doing a couple in this scale, I have a much better appreciation for them.

Did you coat the canopy - looks very good.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Mon 23 Jun 2014, 5:50 am

you didnt waste any time doing that one!

quick question cos i cant read it......whats the tail code/seriel number? looks like ZD451
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Mon 23 Jun 2014, 10:27 am

Thanks John and Mike.

Oh Oh!! Now your'e going to look it up and tell me it's all wrong!!!    Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 2704104872 

Yup!.... ZD451

I did read somewhere that this particular aircraft crashed.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:53 pm

Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 1705482731 

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Mon 23 Jun 2014, 6:26 pm

Skid wrote:Thanks John and Mike.

Oh Oh!! Now your'e going to look it up and tell me it's all wrong!!!    Saudi Tornado ECR. Desert Storm (aka Al's Tonka Toy!!!) 2704104872 

Yup!.... ZD451

I did read somewhere that this particular aircraft crashed.

i can already say that before i go and look it up!!

lightning strike in germany as i remember
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Mon 23 Jun 2014, 6:34 pm

interesting...........just looked it up........seems to be a bit of confusion....cant find a ZD451 on the 'list' but it does get mentioned here and there...............as does ZA451 with the same story
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jun 2014, 6:41 pm

As paul states there's a little confusion regarding the aircraft, it doesn't have an actual "entry" but on the ejection listings there are additional notes that state

With regard to Tornado ZD451 (lightning strike) I remember reading the official accident report on this particular crash and I believe the crew were severely reprimanded for ejecting from a serviceable aircraft. Apparently they could have saved the aircraft by jettisoning the drop tank
which was all that was on fire.

and...

Crash of ZD451 I was a lightning strike expert at RAE Farnborough in 1984 and was sent to investigate the crash as well as the state of the other 2 aircraft. All three aircraft showed the classic signs of lightning strike - melting at the attachment points. The pitot probe of ZD451 was found by a member of the RAF Regiment, this showed signs of lightning strike despite being bent into the shape of a paperclip! Near the impact site the circuit boards from the pylon decoder units were found and subsequently shown to be still functional.
Dr. John Bishop
in email 23rd May 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by beowulf Mon 23 Jun 2014, 9:08 pm

another question..............what paint did the instructions say to use?

ive got a Tonka from this era to do but cant get hold of the paint it says and cant work out a comparable obe from the likes of revell or vallejo
beowulf
beowulf
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Mon 23 Jun 2014, 11:14 pm

The instructions say to use Model Master 1706.... Sand enamel. Never have found a UK supplier so I used this website to get the next nearest colour:....

http://scalemodeldb.com/paintcharts/modelmaster

.... which is Humbrol 121 Pale Stone. (8% off the Model master Sand)

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 3:34 am

Looks fine and I wouldn't have thought it is 1/72 if not studying the box foto. Really bad when fit issues intrude on these smaller kits. Panel lines and surface detail are sacrificed. From here looks good to me and a nice fill for any 1/72 collection shelf! Of course I'm no plane expert. Thanx as always!

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue 24 Jun 2014, 9:59 am

Thanks Harron.

Damn and blast!! Just noticed the right side tail 'AJ' decal is out of kilter.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dogfish7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:19 pm

Do you plan to weather it a bit? It seems awfully clean buddy.
dogfish7
dogfish7
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 28 Jun 2014, 12:39 pm

No weathering Bruce. See first post.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down