Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Sam

PostSubject: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Thu 01 May 2014, 1:24 am

Ok everyone, time to stage in !!

Start building your drag subject right here.

Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Thu 01 May 2014, 1:58 pm

It's the summer of 1967, Gene Gilleno and Chuck Gabrowski are high school buddies, and drag racing buffs
who have just inherited their grandparents cars - a 1963 Ford Galaxie and a 1965 Pontiac Bonnneville.
They would have liked to have been given Hemi powered Mopars, but beggars can't be choosers,
therefore these cars will have to be their first real racers and using their allowance, cash from their weekend store jobs
and sponsorship from local businesses they hope to move onto something bigger and better next year.

This is my theme for my build. The two models are old school with little in the way of detail in the chassis,
so I am going for the 'feel' of those early days in my mini diorama.
I haven't completed any models for a while, so I am looking forward to starting (and finishing) a couple of builds.

Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Thu 01 May 2014, 3:10 pm

I'm turning this

into one of these

will be "trying" to get it as close to the rules as possible, got a bit more research to do just to get things right in my head

made a start by plugging all the holes in the body, will be spraying it up as in a one-piece fibre glass shell that i've read were used.

Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 02 May 2014, 10:02 am

OMG....he's started!....it'll be finished by Monday!

Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 02 May 2014, 10:18 am

I have to research bit more about V12 engine placement, and whether or not to have a full tube chassis or part tube and part checker plate.

Possibly Tuesday then Ron.   
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 02 May 2014, 6:19 pm

Got a few bits done today

Started on a full tube chassis as i fancy a bit of a challenge.

Back to top Go down
2whl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 02 May 2014, 9:00 pm

Snake wrote:
I have to research bit more about V12 engine placement,  and whether or not to have a full tube chassis or part tube and part checker plate.

That bug was essentially a funny car with a strechted bug body

2018 A=16  B=0  C=56
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 02 May 2014, 10:15 pm

I'm not doing it exactly, just giving an idea of the idea I'd like to have a bash at.
Going to have a go at a full tube chassis, meaning I'll have to build it round the engine etc , which I've never done.

If a stretched funny car type with a V12 won't abide with the rules of the build then I'll abandon it for this and find something else.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 02 May 2014, 10:41 pm

Go for it Colin!!!

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 02 May 2014, 11:19 pm

Ever heard the expression " bitten off more than you can chew" ........ I think I'm going down that road lol.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 02 May 2014, 11:53 pm

OK.... time to get cracking.

11th hour change of mind. Not building the Don Nicholson 62 Bel Air now, going to go woth the Fiat out of this kit which Buck kindly sent me some years ago.

Nothing to show yet but stay tuned.

Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sat 03 May 2014, 1:01 am

Snake wrote:
I have to research bit more about V12 engine placement,  and whether or not to have a full tube chassis or part tube and part checker plate.

Possibly Tuesday then Ron.   

Is the V12 your using from the 60's-70's era? If your using an engine from a more modern era, then it wont qualify.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sat 03 May 2014, 1:54 am

The v12 is the same as was used in the 365 (60s/70s), although this one is from a 1980s Ferrari, the engines the same though.
The air box is from an enzo just cos I like the shape on the engine  (but I can manufacture a period one)  the pipes are irrelevant as they're fabricated to suit the body shell anyway in real life.

If this isn't within the build rules then I'll bail.
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sat 03 May 2014, 4:19 pm

I just wanted to make sure it could be a period build. The plans you have sound good.   
Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sat 03 May 2014, 5:10 pm

I have made good progress on the Keeling & Clayton digger. Here is the basic chassis almost assembled:

I was not happy with the mis-shaped roll cage hoop by the driver, so I will graft in another made from brass rod:

Most of the chrome parts had some flash and did not look very good, so they all have hit the "purple pond", and will be painted with Alcad chrome or polished aluminum. This includes front axle (now assembled), wheels and valve covers:

The rear floor body panel would look better in real aluminum, so here it is:

Some of the front axle radius rods and the steering drag links were warped, so these are being scratch built using stainless steel tubing and RB Motion rod ends:

Here are the body panels, all trimmed, fitted and filled for sinks and ejector pins. Should be ready for primer/paint:

Now for the all important engine. Again, parts were de-chromed. Distributor was moved to it's proper location at the rear, but I will be replacing it with a machined aluminum magneto. Also all of the fuel plumbing looks too fake, so I will also replace these with scratch built hardlines (they did not use braided lines back then). I am thinking of making new headers, as they also look bad:

And lastly are the other machined aluminum parts. Engine pulleys are in process, and the driveshaft and fire bottle are done:

On the list for machining are steering box hub and shafts, fuel tank cap, clutch housing and the magneto. The scratch build list has the fuel plumbing, steering wheel, parts of the pedals and the headers.

This is a fun build, and I am really enjoying the larger 1/16 scale. I might be hooked!!
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sat 03 May 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally I planned to rebuild an existing Grumpy's Toy VIII 70 Camaro.  This is what I had from a model I built about 40 years ago.

However, trying to get the windshield out of the car was slowly amaging it too much to continue.  The windshield pillars were cracking away, stuck to the windshield.  At the rear, the body around the window was becoming very distorted.  Also, I couldn't locate the original spoiler, radiator support and radiator.

So I picked this one up as a replacement and will build from there.

These Fred Cady decals are quite old - originally bought to rebuild the original. A fresh coat of decal bonder will be sprayed over these.

I wanted to use the original's hood and hood scoop, but the new model's hood is 1/16th inch wider than the original. The look of the car body also appears lower and wider than the original. More like the stance of a 74 instead of a 70.

Well, time to get to work.

Mike
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sat 03 May 2014, 9:39 pm

Fantastic decals, weird plastic color. I recommend using the orange wheels! That way he'll be REALLY grumpy! Sorry about the old model. Sometimes they can't be disassembled.
Back to top Go down
Old Coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sat 03 May 2014, 10:40 pm

I'm just getting started in my attempt to turn the Revell California Charger kit into the Howard's Cams Rattler ............. here are the pieces I'm starting with ...........

I will be using a Comp Resins body, blower, injector, wheels, and chute pack ............ and I have fabricated an injector scoop to replicate the odd shaped almost flat scoop they used
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sun 04 May 2014, 3:49 am

Okay here is what I got going. I am building the 22JR Roadster from this kit. The Instructions say it was raced in 1963 so it seems to fit. Engine is a 1961 Buick Nailhead but no size is given.

I picked this kit because of Butcher Bob. He borrowed the kit with the promise to replace it. He was going to build a street legal 41 Willys Coupe cut into an old drag car configuration. But when he got it home and started messing with it nothing fit nor looked right. He taped it up and brought it back. I figured since it wasn't sealed might as well build it. My plan is to build it pretty much stock as it would have been raced back in the day. No fancy A and N fittings all brass, and rubber lines. Some steel lines on the brakes and maybe some steel lines around the injector (we will see what research turns up on that).

The body was a three piece affair, two halves and a turtle deck. I MEK'ed it together and then mixed some cut up spruce and MEK to make body filler.

While that was setting up I MEK'ed the chassis together.

When all that had setup I did some experimenting to see if I could MEK the interior tub halves together and still get it into the chassis. I found I could so I after it had set I did a mockup to see how things would fit.

I placed the driver cover into the body and it fit badly. It stuck up about .062 above the body.

So I cut the kit mounting tabs from the body and using .030 styrene I made my own. I made them the same length as the molded in ones were.

After doing this and then test fitting the interior body panels, they didn't fit right and had to have a notch filed into tham to get them to clear the new mounting tabs.

then everything fit just right.

Then when the driver cover is added back on it all fits flat and sweet.

Happy with the way everything fit I started on the engine. I started with the magneto, for whatever reason. When it was crossed drilled, painted and the spark plug wires, wire looms and spark plug boots added it looked like this.

So now with the body and chassis in primer and the magneto done. I will move on the the rest of the engine. Hope to have another update in a couple days.

All questions and comments are welcome.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sun 04 May 2014, 4:51 am

Boy, since I am building the California Charger, that starter kit for the Rattler looks real familiar!!!!

All the other starts on this CB look real good. This is going to be one of the more interesting builds, as everyone has very fascinating period correct subjects. 60/70's drag racing was one of my big interests when I was in high school. Love it!
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sun 04 May 2014, 3:08 pm

Very nice cleanup work on the shell, Buck. I like the detail on the wired magneto. Great work.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sun 04 May 2014, 3:54 pm

Excellent going already! The 1/16 F.E.D. is going to be a stunner. I luv the step-by-step improvements in the beautiful bodywork of the "T" dragster. The wiring on the magneto is primo as well. My only word on MEK is a concern about breathing the fumes. If it weren't useful to industry it would have gone off the market long ago. Use in a place where air circulates if possible. Of course this advice comes from a guy who used to use the model glues that had to be banned !
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sun 04 May 2014, 4:28 pm

Nice work Buck. Don't you just love two piece 'tub' style bodies!!!! NOT.

Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sun 04 May 2014, 4:45 pm

Hi Gang, Well count me in in this one   

Mickey Thompson's 69 Mustang Mach 1 ( red ) driven by Pat Foster.

Here is a link about Pat Foster and the car

http://vintage-nitro.com/pat-foster-mickey-thompson-mustang/

The kit I'm using

and the decals

Going to give this an all out to get it done on time   
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Mon 05 May 2014, 3:29 am

In doing some research on this funny car I found that the chassis in the kit is all wrong, this is what the real chassis looked like

so went through my funny car stash and found this one which is closer

it's out of the Revell Jungle Jim Vega kit but will need a little work to get it closer, did a mock up and the frame is too long (already have the body extended and in primer)

going to be easy to shortin the wheelbase by adjusting the two tabs that the front axle hooks to

I think the rear axle was a solid mount cause I can't see any springs or bars back their but which rear end do I use, the quick change that came in the Vega kit or the one that came with the Mustang kit ??

got almost every thing for this but need a set of headers that match and a set or M/T slicks.  

Till next update   
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   

Back to top Go down

Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next