Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII

5 posters

Go down

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Empty Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII

Post by RetiredMike Fri 28 Mar 2014, 3:45 pm

I figured I need a little more practice with the smaller models, so I started this 1/72 Pfalz DIII.  I also wanted to check out different manufacturers' quality after buying an Airfix Albatross online.  It had injection marks all over the undersides of the wings - right over the rib detail.  Awful.

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz010

Roden's version is excellent in it's surface detailing and lack of flash and injection marks.  They also include multiple decal schemes for the various Blue Max medal recipients who flew this plane.  No sprue shots since I started this on the side during the ambulance project.  The interior had rib detail molded in.  The fuselage halves went together quite well with minimal putty.

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz011
Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz012

The boxart shows the plane as a metallic silver, the instructions say it's silver-gray, and gives a Humbrol #27001 for the paint which I believe is Aluminum Metalcote.  Looking online, other builders use various shades of non-metallic gray.  I even found one pic of a DIII in gray, built in 2005 by the Pfalz company itself (who now manufactures modern aircraft parts).

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalzd10

I chose a Model Master Light Gull Gray and Humbrol Pale Yellow for this scheme.  Must be the lighting, because the gray looks a little bluish and the yellow doesn't look as yellow as it really is.  Luckily, the interior platform can be inserted after painting and attaching the lower wing.

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz013
Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz014

This is the little Mercedes DIII motor.  Nice detail for it's scale even though only the top will peek through the sheetmetal.

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz015

All comments and suggetions are welcome - I'm still learning how to build these little birds. LOL

Thanks for looking.

Mike
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Empty Re: Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII

Post by Guest Fri 28 Mar 2014, 6:12 pm

Great start. Interesting subject.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri 28 Mar 2014, 6:33 pm

Cool subject and sooo small. lol
Sam
Sam
Resident member
Resident member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sat 29 Mar 2014, 5:17 pm

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII 1705482731 
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Sat 29 Mar 2014, 5:51 pm

Great start Mike. That engine must be tiny. Any chance of the usual scale shot please?

Good to see the company built (I was going to say replica) a 'new' one.

The colour to me looks like dull alluminium and could be well replicated with Alclad's Dull Alluminium methinks.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Sat 29 Mar 2014, 9:00 pm

As requested.  Shots relative to the standard.

Engine installed in engine shroud:
Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz016

Fuselage:
Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz111
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Thu 10 Apr 2014, 8:07 pm

Update time, again:

Attached the machine guns to the cowling section.  A shame I had to cut off just the very tip of a nicely molded MG.

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz112

Decals are done.  The smaller ones went well, but the four iron crosses for the wings cracked when I attempted to adjust their positions.  Its better than my last aircraft decal job, but still needs improvement.  I gloss coated the entire plane this time, but the decals still show some silvering after the dullcote was applied.  I ended up using 32 gauge craft beading wire for the control cables on the tail section because they're still visible.  The wire is about .0055" which is a little large in scale.  I have 1.5micron wire, but that's virtually invisible.  I also set up to try EZ Line (fine), used a rub-on silver coating and cut it to length.  When I dabbed the end of it with CA from a pinhead, the end of the EZ Line curled up like a worm ready to go on the hook.  I also had to do some puttywork and paint touchup when I attached the engine cowling.

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz113

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz114

I was able to move the broken pieces of the iron crosses around slightly and fill gaps with thinned black paint so they look acceptable.  For panel line enhancement, I used a fine lead draftsman's pencil.  I also used a bit of Tamiya's rub-on white weathering to highlight the ribbing on the tops of the wings.

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz115

Never having done a biplane before.  And with the trouble I had with the struts of the Blue Max plane, I gave this a lot of thought and decided to line up the fuselage and upper wing in the position shown.  That allowed me to get the correct angle to CA the strut where the other end is lined up with its holes.  Now, I can place the upper wing for attachment and dab the strut pin with a pinhead of CA one at a time.  Maybe this model won't have any stray CA marks on it.  LOL

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz116

The propeller came out OK, I think.  It ended up looking like solid wood.  I was trying for more of a laminated plywood look, but I found it requires a bit more artistic skill than I have right now.  I've found a great respect for the guys I've seen master that in this scale.

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz117

More to come soon.  I have to look closely at the rigging on this one, since some of it terminates in the wing surface instead of on a strut, and the points aren't indicated in the plastic.  More research time online necessary.

Thanks for looking and, again, all comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Mike
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:01 pm

Looking very good. You are overcoming each obstacle as they crop up and the plane really shows the effort. Nice work. Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII 1705482731 

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:30 pm

Sorry I missed the last but one update Mike!  Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII 4039365958 

Your'e getting to be a dab hand at these little fellas. It all looks great to me. I like the Tamiya white weathering powder idea!

I not experienced your problem with CA and EZE line. Nor have I read about it either. BTW, you will find colouring it much easier when its stretched and secured at both ends.

The prop looks good and I too marvel at those that can replicate the correct lamination.

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Wed 16 Apr 2014, 2:12 pm

Website fast this morning, so I'll get it in.

Well this time I did a little better with struts.  They went together more successfully than on the Blue Max.  As this is my first biplane, I'm quite happy with how it came out.  At first I thought  the holes provided weren't big enough for the strut pins to fit in all the way.  But after closely looking at photos, I saw the wooden parts of the struts didn't contact the wing surfaces.  Learn something new all the time.

The first pic has the bluish tint to it. I think I forgot to correct the color. Other 2 are closer to actual.
Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz118

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz119

There's just a little skew between the wings, but I didn't see any easy method of correcting it.

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Pfalz120

Now it's on to the rigging.  I still have a few practice tests to run on the EZ Line and some fishing lines before I attack this.

'Til next time.  Thanks for looking and the comments.

Mike
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Apr 2014, 3:13 pm

Nice job on fitting the wings on your first biplane !!!

I have a 1/48 Roden that has me stopped because I don't want to tackle the wing fitting or rigging yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Wed 16 Apr 2014, 5:17 pm

It's looking really good Mike. Nice work.

Spot on call on the Cabane Struts too!

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII 12745211

Skid
Skid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Apr 2014, 7:11 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Thu 17 Apr 2014, 12:15 pm

Wow, Nice neat lookin little gem !
Nice work.
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Thu 17 Apr 2014, 11:23 pm

Very nice work. I don't know of Tamiya white (or any other) "rub on" weathering, but will check next time I go to a big hobby shop where I can see it in person. Other comments, engine is superb for a small scale and the prop was painted beautifully. Thanx for the step-by-step. Maybe more of us will try some of the early planes.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RetiredMike Fri 18 Apr 2014, 3:24 pm

harron68 wrote:Very nice work.  I don't know of Tamiya white (or any other) "rub on" weathering, but will check next time I go to a big hobby shop where I can see it in person.  Other comments, engine is superb for a small scale and the prop was painted beautifully.  Thanx for the step-by-step.  Maybe more of us will try some of the early planes.  

Hobby Lobby carries a few of the color assortments.  

Roden 1/72 Pfalz DIII Tamiya10

BTW  I got the pic off the internet, so that's not my figure there. The B Pack at the lower left has the white labeled 'snow'.

Thanks for your comment.
RetiredMike
RetiredMike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by harron68 Sat 19 Apr 2014, 1:29 pm

Thanx! The product reminds me of what modelers used to do with colored artists' chalk. File off a bit into powder and brush on with a dry paintbrush, then to preserve, spray lightly with flat clear paint. This looks easier, if pricier. Copyright of the early 2000s shows it has been around a decade or so.

harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down