Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sorry I've been away ..........

+2
Johnag
Tumbler75
6 posters

Go down

Sorry I've been away .......... Empty Sorry I've been away ..........

Post by Tumbler75 Fri 07 Mar 2014, 5:13 am

..... And this is the reason.

Meet Lorelei, my 1989 Honda Accord LX. She has 152k miles on her, bought her back in Sept of 2013. She's been my restoration/show project. I've been attending car shows with a car club I've joined here in Memphis. Let's see, I've had to realign some body panels (hood and trunk mostly), fix some fiddly bits on the engine (rebuild a 24 yr old Alternator, Carburetor, replace various sensors, etc.). I've been cleaning, cleaning, and cleaning every square inch of this car trying to get her ready for this year's show season. Lorelei is Laurel Blue Metallic exterior (1 year only color), Blue LX Premium Cloth Interior, has a 2.0L 4 cylinder engine, 5 speed manual transmission, and is 100% OEM stock. These cars are getting hard to find around here and in this condition becoming collectable. So here's a few pics.

Sorry I've been away .......... PA070004_zps9200ecc3

Sorry I've been away .......... PA070007_zpsafb351e7

All pics here: https://s21.photobucket.com/user/Tumbler75/library/89Accord?sort=2&page=1

Another thing is we moved, so I haven't built anything since our break-in, and I started packing things shortly afterwards. Found a place and moved in Feb 1st. Once settled in, I'll be looking to set up a new work station once I find a new desk, and I'll get to building again.

The weather recently here in Memphis has been horrible! I mean 3" to 4" of ice and less than 1" to 1.25" of snow on top of the ice depending on the area you live in. Thank God for covered parking! It was a mess. Here's a pic of my Pontiac at my mom's on the first day of the snowy icy mess (3/3/14).

Sorry I've been away .......... 20140303_104945_zpsf080b202

But that's a bit of what's been going on and why I've been absent. Have fun and keep on building. :)
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Sorry I've been away .......... Empty Re: Sorry I've been away ..........

Post by Guest Fri 07 Mar 2014, 3:24 pm

...for a moment there, I thought you had been doing a bit of customising,
and converted your Honda into a Poncho !

Sorry I've been away .......... 1705482731

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Fri 07 Mar 2014, 4:19 pm

That would be a task to make a Ponda! LOL Here's my two girls at the old apartment.

Sorry I've been away .......... 20131002_180127_zps497b154a

Sorry I've been away .......... 20131002_180105_zps8de45dc5

On a sad note. Many of y'all might remember my cat Ashley An. She's been with me for quite a very long time. Well, my baby girl passed away on Nov. 28th, 2013, at 7:45pm, Thanksgiving Day. She passed away peacefully in my arms. I was the first person she saw when she opened her eyes as a kitten, and the last person she saw when she closed them for the last time. She was my model muse, always had to inspect parts to make sure they were right and going in the right place. After I lost her, with my models packed up and ready to move, I almost threw everything away! I was that confused as losing her I lost my passion and heart for building. One day it'll come back, just not sure when. I love you Ashley An, I miss you everyday! I know you are able to run without limits, pain, or suffering and when the time comes, you and I will meet again on the Rainbow Bridge and be together once more.

Ashley An, March 27th, 1996 - November 28th, 2013 - 17 years, 8 months, and 1 day young.

Sorry I've been away .......... PB270011_zpsc97419ee

Sorry I've been away .......... AshleyAn5

Sorry I've been away .......... DSCF3085
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Mar 2014, 5:16 pm

Welcome back Jason.

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnag Fri 07 Mar 2014, 5:19 pm

Hi Jason,

First of all, so sorry to hear the sad news about Ashley...

May I ask, does the Accord have the Twin Cam engine, they were pretty quick in their day, one of the lads I worked with in Germany had one for a while and then used it for Rallycross when she failed her yearly road worthiness test, not a lot could catch him...

Andy...

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain...
Johnag
Johnag

http://www.veterans-uk.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Fri 07 Mar 2014, 5:30 pm

Thanx Buck! If I didn't have friends and family, plus my two other cats, I don't think I would have made it through. Losing her was like losing myself. She and I had a bond like no other.

Andy, The Honda Accord has the 1995cc 2.0L 4 cylinder carbureted engine. No VTEC, No DOHC, No Fuel Infection .... I mean Injection, nothing fancy. Simple 98hp engine. The trick with these cars' amazing take off is the gearing of the transmissions, especially the 5 speed manuals. I hear so many people doing swaps from Autos to Manuals because the Autos are harder to find in junkyards, and to work on period. Here is a pick of the engine.

Sorry I've been away .......... PB260005_zps3fc1a1e2
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Mar 2014, 5:42 pm

Hi Jason,
Firstly, sorry to hear about your cat, sad times when we lose pets.

Secondly, it's nice to see a good example of the old accord. They were brutes in their day as Andy said, shame you don't live over here there's quite a few lying around in scrap yards so you'd not be short of spares. There are/were a couple for sale on auto trader UK a while ago when I was looking for a project car. They were around the £800 mark, which would be about 1400 dollars I think, and were in roadworthy condition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Fri 07 Mar 2014, 5:56 pm

Welcome back Jason.

Sorry to hear about your cat. Losing a pet is never easy. Chin up thought buddy!!

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Fri 07 Mar 2014, 7:17 pm

Thank you guys. This is one of the personal reasons I had to take a leave of absence. Taking care of an aging cat (not to mention an aging parent and a sick friend, plus my own issues) is never easy. I had so much stress on me at the time that I was near edge of going to the looney bin. Things are slowly picking up, my friend is doing better, I'm actually worse in some aspects and better in others, and my mom is, well my mom. LoL I've been rummaging through my boxes of model bits, but gotta get the house settled in first. Moving this last time took a huge toll on me and my friend.

I gave $1200.00 US for the Accord. I just recently had it appraised (before I got the new hubcaps) and the guy told me this was a solid A Grade Car. He gave it a value of $7000 to $7500 with the flaking hubcaps, but told me to replace them and the value as a collectable could reach $8000 to $8500 (NADA isn't far behind w/ High Value being $7100). He said he'd never seen one so pristine and well cared for. He said it shocked him to pull the taillight panels to find the factory spare bulbs are still in their place. Still have some fiddly bits to work on (front axles and rack and pinion need replaced as well as ball joints) but I'll get there in due time. Me not working now and focusing on my health is my first priority. ;)
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Sat 05 Apr 2014, 12:35 am

SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Well in the Mid South it has. That means CAR SHOWS! And our first big one of the year is tomorrow (4-5-14) in Germantown, TN. I've been fighting with the Honda due to a High Idle issue only to find out it was caused by a bent idle screw. Well, she did need her carburetor rebuilt anyways. LoL So here she is before detailing her to Grand Empress of Japan standards. LoL

Sorry I've been away .......... 20140310_160615_zps7ff8fb9a

Sorry I've been away .......... 20140310_155626_zps38fbd3d9

And a completed engine shot. She was missing a few pieces to keep major pieces in place.

Sorry I've been away .......... 20140310_155151_zps87bd5179

I'll keep y'all posted on how she does tomorrow. :)
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezerman Sat 05 Apr 2014, 3:11 am

Nice rides.
Condolences over Ashley An. Sorry I've been away .......... 3937484207 
Sure can get attached to them !
Geezerman
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Sat 05 Apr 2014, 5:30 am

This is so true. I had to take time for myself as I couldn't hold back the waterworks on March 27th. Her and my mom share the same birthday. I made mom a cake and went over to her house that afternoon after I had regained some composure. She and I went to Ashley's marker in the yard and wished her a happy birthday. I couldn't hold them back then either. Mom just hugged me and told me "She's waiting at the Rainbow Bridge when the time comes to meet again." My mom knows how to say the right things at the right moments.

I win anything at this car show tomorrow (4-5-14) it will be dedicated to Ashley.  Sorry I've been away .......... 3887228019 
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by webby Sat 05 Apr 2014, 8:43 am

Glad to have you back Jason, and my sympathy for Ashley An. Having lost a few beloved cats over the years, I share your pain.
webby
webby

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Sat 05 Apr 2014, 3:09 pm

I am sorry to hear about your kitty. When they pass on in your arms, it is heart wrenching. I have experienced this also. Keep your chin up.

Good to see you back. Nice car, and have fun at the car show. Car shows are great fun!!!
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tumbler75 Sat 05 Apr 2014, 11:43 pm

First car show of the season and I don't think I did too bad. I got third place in the Asian All Make and Years class. So off to a good start. She's not perfect, but she's 100% original. ;)

Sorry I've been away .......... 20140405_091053_zps1086caae

Sorry I've been away .......... 20140405_171422_zps13fcc8dc

Thank you everyone. Ashley would be proud and would want to inspect the plaque. LoL So this win goes out to her.
Tumbler75
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum