Scale Model Building Culture Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Johnag
Johnag

Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Empty
PostSubject: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitimeSun 02 Feb 2014, 5:14 pm

Hi all,

I have heard on different You Tube videos that Windolene is the same as the Windex stuff they have over the pond in the Colonies of the America's, and that it can be used for mixing with Acrylic paints and airbrushed as well as for cleaning the airbrushes, is this true...

My search for Windolene here in the UK only points towards some stuff called Windolene 4, is this the correct one, thought I would ask before I go using any, I bought a bottle from Morrisons...

Hope that makes some sense...

Thank you...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
http://www.veterans-uk.info/
dublin boy
dublin boy

PostSubject: Re: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitimeSun 02 Feb 2014, 7:49 pm

I think you can thin out Tamiya pots with windscreen washer fluid.

I can't imagine getting a nice paint job from it for cars though, I might have seen it on a Military thread somewhere Andy.
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member
webby

PostSubject: Re: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitimeSun 02 Feb 2014, 9:25 pm

I use metholated spirits for thinning Tamiya acrylic paint. "Metho' to us aussies is a mix of ethyl & methnol alcohol.

Dunno what its called either side of the Atlantic. It thins the paint nicely, but I've never run it through an airbrush.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Geezerman

PostSubject: Re: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitimeSun 02 Feb 2014, 9:42 pm

Sounds interesting enough to give it a try, though I wonder what the advantage would be. HMMmmmm?

Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... 2481775780 
Back to top Go down
Johnag
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitimeSun 02 Feb 2014, 10:21 pm

Hi all,

Mr G, the main advantage I see is it's tons cheaper than the produced stuff, especially airbrush cleaner...

One thing I have noticed after more looking around, is the Windex and Windolene have ammonia in, but the Windolene 4 has vinegar, but I have not found anyone using the Windolene 4 stuff yet...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member
webby

PostSubject: Re: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitimeMon 03 Feb 2014, 6:41 am

Geezerman wrote:
Sounds interesting enough to give it a try, though I wonder what the advantage would be.  HMMmmmm?

Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... 2481775780 

On the rocks or with a mixer, Clay?
Back to top Go down
Tom Sunley

PostSubject: Re: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitimeMon 03 Feb 2014, 11:17 am

The windowlene you are looking for needs to be ammonia based. It's the ammonia that's the active ingredient. if it's cost that drives you get some Isopropylalcohol (IPA) cheaper even than windowlene and cleans up acryilcs no problem. Can be used for spraying too but add a couple of drops of retarder in to save the paint drying too quickly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tomsaviation.co.uk
Johnag
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitimeMon 03 Feb 2014, 12:08 pm

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for that, it seems that the ammonia based one has been replaced by the new vinegar version, so I guess I'll just use the one I got for....errr....cleaning my windows...Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Pbucket

Thanks again everyone...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Geezerman

PostSubject: Re: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitimeMon 03 Feb 2014, 12:30 pm

?????? I thin acrylics with water. Can't get much cheaper that that. I cleanup with water too.

Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... 2704104872 
However, if I should let it dry on the air brush, cleanup get s a little more involved.
Back to top Go down
Tom Sunley

PostSubject: Re: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitimeMon 03 Feb 2014, 1:06 pm

Johnag wrote:
Hi Tom,

Many thanks for that, it seems that the ammonia based one has been replaced by the new vinegar version, so I guess I'll just use the one I got for....errr....cleaning my windows...Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Pbucket

Thanks again everyone...

Andy...

Have a look for mr Muscle window cleaner. Clear bottle with green liquid. I think that still has ammonia in it
Back to top Go down
http://www.tomsaviation.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitimeMon 03 Feb 2014, 4:39 pm

I am with Geezerman on this. I thin Acrylics with water and clean the airbrush with it also. As long as the paint isn't dry it's piece of cake. I was told by a couple people to use distilled water, And I did try that at first but the tap water seems to work just fine. I am thinking it probably slows the drying process compared to Alcohol, ammonia or something that evaporates faster.
Back to top Go down
Johnag
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitimeMon 03 Feb 2014, 4:47 pm

Hi Mr G & Mr Z,

I do also normally, I was mainly asking as I had heard a lot of people going on about Windex and then heard some say that Windolene was the same as it, then I found some Windolene 4 in Morrisons and bought some thinking it was the same, but as Tom mentioned the Windolene I should have bought has the ammonia in it, the new one is vinegar based...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...   Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windex - Windolene - Windolene 4...
Page 1 of 1