Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya

Go down

USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Empty USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya

Post by Guest Tue 21 Jan 2014, 2:21 am

I know I shouldn't be starting another build, but my modeler's ADD has kicked in and with a slight nudge from Chris(coyote), I'll kick this one off.  This will be a very, very long build because of what I'm planning to do.

USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Miss000-vi

While at the local IPMS show in October, I was browsing the vendor area when I ran across this kit and got it for $40.  After getting home, I discovered the instructions were in Japanese.  So I went to the Tamiya website and found a Pdf of the English instructions.  After printing them out, I started studying them and became more interested in the kit.  So I searched for builds of the kit on the internet and found a very detailed build of the exact same kit with lots of a/m add-ons.   http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/modelers-corner/60395-building-tamiya-missouri-super-detailing.html
I was now hooked.  

I'll be using that build as my blueprint and try to achieve the same results. I've purchased a set of wood decks, metal barrels and three different sets of p/e.  I'll also paint it in the same color scheme he used.  It is called Measure 22 and is basically haze grey on all vertical surfaces above the shear line and deck blue on all horizontal ones.  Except for the wooden section of the decks, which had been holy-stoned to reveal there natural wood color.  This is the way it would have looked as it sailed into Pearl Harbor in late Sept 1945.

USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Miss001-vi
USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Miss002-vi
USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Miss003-vi
USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Miss004-vi
USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Miss005-vi

I have already mocked up the major pieces to see what it looks like.

USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Miss008-vi

Last edited by 2whl on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Empty Re: USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya

Post by coyote Tue 21 Jan 2014, 3:42 am

I said all the polite stuff about this one on eScale. But here among friends I can tell you that when you walk into the man cave with this one your wife will be a memory, the PE will make you blind and your back will bunch-up after hours of leaning over it. Apart from that you will have a lot of fun, I always do! Looking forward to seeing this one come together.
coyote
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Jan 2014, 3:47 am

coyote wrote:I said all the polite stuff about this one on eScale. But here among friends I can tell you that when you walk into the man cave with this one your wife will be a memory, the PE will make you blind and your back will bunch-up after hours of leaning over it. Apart from that you will have a lot of fun, I always do! Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  2704104872 
My wife is already a memory as are the cats.....my eyes are tearing up just thinking of that p/e and my back is aching and I haven't really started yet......so this will probably kill me.....LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Apr 2014, 11:08 pm

Yes, I know it's been awhile, but this will be a long build (think Sam I Am long...LOL).  But I did get a case for it.  While at the Pasadena Valleycon, I met a man that makes acrylic cases.  He doesn't usually do ships, but his stuff is all custom order. So I gave him the ships dimensions and he made me a case for $96.  I figured when I stall out on it for a few months, it wont get dusty while it waits for me to get back to it.

USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Miss016-vi

USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Miss017-vi

USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Miss018-vi

USS Missouri 1/350 Tamiya  Miss019-vi

Back to top Go down

Post by coyote Wed 02 Apr 2014, 11:29 pm

Good looking Perspex dry dock.
coyote
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member