Skid's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.

+4
webby
Johnag
pete s
BrentH
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.

Post by Guest Sun 08 Dec 2013, 7:53 pm

Not sure. Silvering can be a bear. I had some silvered on the Salt Flat Car. Got a tip from a SABA Member. I put Future on it until the silvering went away then dull coated it. It worked fine took about 3 coats of Future (applied with a Q-tip) but you don't have a matte finish underneath. So not sure. I guess you could try the clear coat and see what happens.

Back to top Go down

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.

Post by BrentH Mon 09 Dec 2013, 3:52 am

I tried to glue on with clear coat. it worked fantastic on a Junker I had sitting around. So I put the extra decals I had in water and let them soak until they floated free. Slid them up on the edge of the bowl upside down. So far so good. Took a brush painted on some clear and put them in place. Got all of them applied and looked at the first one I did and it's all rippled..... I hit it with some more clear and tried to flatten them, no go. I'm going to keep adding clear to see if I can get them to appear to level out but I am not counting on it. There is nothing I can do now at this point, so frustrated......
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:10 am

Future is an Acrylic finish and won't wrinkle the decals. I don't know if you have in in Canada. Al doesn't have it in England..

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:17 am

Great work Brent. I like it.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Skid
Skid
Admin

https://skidsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Dec 2013, 1:34 pm

Too bad about the decals Brent. I've never seen decals silver that have been laid on a gloss surface.

Back to top Go down

Post by BrentH Mon 09 Dec 2013, 2:34 pm

They would not lay down at all. when I removed them they shattered into pieces, were totally brittle???

So after attempting to glue on with clear this is what I'm left with. Nothing I can do not at this point. Might have to live with it....

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 Img_9013a_zps7cfd7fd8

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_9014_zps5c24c2ca

A few shots of the truck. I didn't wipe it down, getting frustrated and burnet out...The paint is flawless. Will have it waxed up for the final finaly....

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_9021_zps2d4f2afa

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_9016_zps09d2eb50

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_9020_zpsac7414e1
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Dec 2013, 2:59 pm

mmmm...had the same happen to me.
Just when you are coming to the end of a good model build, poor decals remove the 'happiness factor'.
But It's still a great model that you have built.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:15 pm

Sorry for the decal problems. Truck does look good.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:31 pm

Sorry to hear about the decals. The black paint looks great, nice and shiny!!!
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BrentH Mon 09 Dec 2013, 6:07 pm

What can you do hey. I should have know better than to sand all the raised logos off the truck and go with the decals with the luck I have been having with them. I am hoping the rest of the build will be so over the top that they won't notice it right away. First impressions are everything. I'll try and keep adding some clear to them as you can't notice it, hoping it helps a little. If not I will not try and sand them off and fix it. I'm not going to take the chance of making it even worse.... Sometimes you have to know when to give in.....
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Dec 2013, 1:03 am

If you have some diamond plate I'd run some along the bottom of the tail gate to cover up the decals. Still it sucks to have something like this happen to a commissioned build.

Been there.

I totally destroyed a commissioned build for my LBS that was going to a client as a Christmas gift for a Vietnam Vet. I'd been working on this 1/48 Heller POS helicopter for and nothing fit. I had a complete brain fart, I spare you the details but it was an epic fail, I melted the entire helicopter. I ended up getting lucky and found another local shop who had the same version from another manufacture, and it saved my bacon.

I'm sure they'll be so impressed with your work the decals won't be an issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by dogfish7 Tue 10 Dec 2013, 6:25 am

Same here!
dogfish7
dogfish7
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BrentH Tue 10 Dec 2013, 3:06 pm

The decals on the side did the same thing. If only the decals were under the rubber trim on the doors I could add some BMF to make it look like the stainless trim pieces that are out in the market.
If It was my build I'd two tone it or something.
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Post by BrentH Wed 11 Dec 2013, 3:34 pm

In the final stretch. Bodies have first coat of Black. Basses are done.

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_9025_zps3bc8deb6

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_9031_zpsd5f57003

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 Img_9026_zps3e5251b4

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_9030_zps73913745
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Dec 2013, 4:08 pm

The pad lock is a great touch. Nice work Brent.

Back to top Go down

Post by BrentH Wed 11 Dec 2013, 4:21 pm

Thanks Buck

Do you know if it is safe to paint Alclad over Tamiya? The trailer has some Aluminium trim that needs to be done and I will be shooting it directly on top of the Tamiya Black.
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Wed 11 Dec 2013, 5:06 pm

Brent, I have always used Alcad chrome and polished aluminum over Modelmaster gloss black with no issues. Never tried it over Tamiya paint.

Trailers look great. What did you use for the rubber strips on the trailer deck? It looks great.
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Dec 2013, 6:26 pm

I have used it over Dulpi-color black without a problem. I know it is a lacquer (says it on the bottle) so treat it like a lacquer. That's all the help I got.

Back to top Go down

Post by BrentH Wed 11 Dec 2013, 11:25 pm

Thanks guys. I don't ever remember having any issues before but I have only just started to use Tamiya so need to be careful here.

Pete the product I am replicating is called Superglides. They are a hard plastic none slip surface. I just cut some strips from a piece of ribbed sheeting I had.

Here is Superclamps/Superglides web site.
http://www.superclamp.net/
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnag Thu 12 Dec 2013, 6:32 pm

Hi Brent,

The truck looks superb, how do you manage to get the paint to look so smooth, as for the trailers, they look like real ones sat here, as mentioned, nice touch with the pad lock, when I first saw the black strips, I thought they where Velcro to hold the tops on until I read you had used sheeting, again, nice touch...

I am sure they will be blown over with these...

Andy...

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain...
Johnag
Johnag

http://www.veterans-uk.info/

Back to top Go down

Post by BrentH Thu 12 Dec 2013, 9:46 pm

Thanks Andy.

Tamiya primer and Tamiya paint spray cans.... Very easy to get a great finish. I warm the cans in hot water to increase the can pressure, the paint comes out smooth and even every time.  That truck has about 5 wet coats on it.

The trailer bodies are getting wet coats now...

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_00001246_zps27fb83a1
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Post by BrentH Fri 13 Dec 2013, 3:24 pm

Installed the Superclamps front and rear.

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_9040_zpscadf23b1

The wrap for the sides of the trailer should be ready today. should be able to "wrap" this build up this weekend, fingers crossed.

This is what the clamps look like in real life on my trailer.

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_00001112_zpsbad0a6c5

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_00001111_zps7bb702c3

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_00001113_zpse4c78dca
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Post by pete s Fri 13 Dec 2013, 4:17 pm

Brent, what do mean by "the wrap should be ready today"? Did you have some special graphics done? If so tell us about it and how you did this. This is getting more interesting every day!!!

Great job on the trailers so far. I like the detail work on the superclamps. They look perfect. Nice pair of sleds, by the way
pete s
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BrentH Fri 13 Dec 2013, 7:30 pm

OH sorry. The customer had a wrap made up for the sides of the trailers. This wrap apparently will be the same as the demo trailer in Russia.

I believe it's going to be this... All lettering will be in Russian which will be kinda cool. Sounds like he got some "Prestige" decals made up for the pickup to.
Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer. - Page 2 IMG_0210_zps3df4ba8c

I believe he just went to a Automotive decal shop and had them shrunk down to fit on the model. I'm very interested to see how this works out.
BrentH
BrentH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Dec 2013, 7:49 pm

Me too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next